style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm confused. If we can't post questions on here now, what is the point of this section.

I have only just got on here today, as my laptop has died. I see the point of not having threads disrupted by wazzocks, but surely people are going to wonder what can be posted now - I do!

I don't want to cause any difficulties, but I thought the whole point of a forum was to discuss things. People are likely now simply to go elsewhere for their advice which may or may not be a good thing. Personally I'd rather source my advice from this site.

Just expressing my humble opinion. I can always post elsewhere I guess.

I think the main worry is/was a lot of the useful people

were almost solely starting/posting on 'discussion threads' or 'information threads'

or threads indicating advice elsewhere was wrong and not helping our users

it became 'the norm' over a long period pf time and there is/was a need to focus people.

after all CAG is here to help others.

dx

we don't mind discussion, but urge those in the know to help

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I agree totally with that dx. I think it is wise for CAG to refocus on what it does best, help people. My worry is that people will go elsewhere fortheir advice, and that would be hugely detrimental to them.

Also, with legislation being unpicked in detail among a few people here, it helps us all, and I mean all, to understand things better. I can see this area of the site may not be the best place to do it, but it will have a running commentary wherever it appears, ridiculous though that is.

I support wholly regaining the focus of this section and making CAG THE place to come for sensible, impartial bailiff help.

people don't look at discussion threads when they post here for help

many users don't even have a clue how to even post a thread.

let alone see/find these 'discussion threads'.......

so the notion of 'they'll go elsewhere' is IMHO a bit flawed.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I hope sincerely you're correct. I know if you have just received a letter from a bailiff and start to panic, you're likely to hit Google. Put in just the word 'bailiff' and your first option is not CAG. It is not one I would personally go to either. 'bailiff help' does not bring up CAG, and again does not bring up one I would go to. 'bailiff advice' does bring up a site I would happily use, but not far below is another I wouldn't choose to use.

I appreciate what is being said here, but wonder what, exactly, does bring people to this section of CAG. Something clearly does, as it has a lively and successful section.

As said above, I'm fully supportive of a 'refocus', but I think we'd all be mortified if people went elsewhere when we know this is the best place to post for help. :-)

Perhaps we need to collaborate on what ifs referenced to the regulations, so

1: bailiff has sent a letter = engage within the compliance stage period to arrange a payment

2 if sensible affordable repayments are arranged Great

3: EA is obstructive refuses all reasonable offers, visits and applies the Enforcement fee, we need to focus on options and look at the Regulations to see if there is a ground for challenge, as it stands the regs are clearly set up in favour of the EA rather than any formal redress for the debtor. for Equita being Equita (just used them as a metaphor for lying cheatring bailiffs as they were the ones who engaged in widespread upfront fee fraud blatantly under the old system)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Lol, has this not turned into one of those discussion threads that everyone is so keen to avoid.

I have to agree that most threads on here are now just one or two posters going into fine detail about one subject or another often just a matter of semantics. If i were a first time visitor i would be a bit afraid to post because a lot of the discussions are way beyond what a person who does not understand the legislation can comprehend.

Saying all the above though,when someone does ask for help the advice given is very good and helpful,but i have noticed that even after good advice is given it can drift again to the nit picking about relevant legislation or the interpretation of a sentence,this is no help to people looking for help later when they come to the site and is of no benefit to someone desperatly seeking a quick and helpful answer.

Apart from all that this is a great site:-)

Actually Welsh1, it is that level of attention to detail which makes this site stand above all the others out there. I appreciate it is hard to follow unless significant chunks of time are taken up reading and discussing legislation and the way it works in practice, but some of those nit-picking issues which appear to be mere semantics are far from.

Point taken entirely about reading and possibly being overwhelmed, though it can be quite comforting as well to know people are taking that much trouble to ensure things are correct. I don't think a single person on this site would claim to understand the legislation fully. Certainly I know that three of us who frequently talk in depth about these issues cannot agree on a point which could soon prove critical to get right.

Point taken also about this turning into one of those threads, but it is for the benefit of CAGGERS present and future that the site must get this right. The discussion has a place, but where and when?

I think the idea of a basic guide which answers the most common questions is a brilliant idea, and one which is easily achieved in the fullness of time. Meanwhile I think Bankfodder et al are correct in saying CAG lets people post, we answer as best we can and move on to the next problem. Whether it is possible to be that simplistic remains to be seen, but it's a fair aim. :-)

The new regulations came into effect nine months ago and it was natural that a lot of 'debating' and 'discussions' would take place between all 'regular' posters and that was to be wholly expected given that we not only had the Tribunal, Courts & Enforcement Act 2007 to consider but we also had the Taking Control of Goods Regs 2013, the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regs 2014, the TCE 2007 (Consequential, Transitional and Savings Provision) Order 2014 and recently, the amended Criminal Procedure Rules 2015.

Now, we all seem to have a far better understanding of the regulations and this is apparent in the high quality of answers provided on the forum. Yes....we will all make mistakes in the future and that too is to be expected. None of us are perfect and I would be the first to say that I have made mistakes in the past and will very likely continue to do so for quite some time yet.

A turning point was made a couple of months ago when we were all 'debating' a complicated (but nonetheless very interesting subject) of bailiff fees for Attachments of Earnings. Sadly, that thread and many others since then have been ruined by 'trolls' and this is not only a waste of everyone's time but can be very hurtful to individual posters on here (myself included).

Going forward, we should all be focused on continuing to provide the excellent quality of responses to which this forum is well known. The government promised to review the regulations by April (the one year anniversary) and this 'review' has been ongoing for quite some time and announcements will be made by the relevant bodies at the appropriate time.

There is a huge amount of information forthcoming at this moment in time from various sources (including new procedures for Magistrate Courts when dealing with Statutory Declarations) and instead of debating the subjects here on the forum I will ensure that regulars posters are provided with copies so that we all have access to accurate and up to date information.

I should mention as well that I have just about finished a Simplified Guide to the Taking Control of Goods Regulations which is supported by links to the actual legislation. I will contact the moderators shortly to see if they want to feature the Guide in their Library. In the meantime, I will be sending copies to all regular posters on here.

I should mention as well that I have just about finished a Simplified Guide to the Taking Control of Goods Regulations which is supported by links to the actual legislation. I will contact the moderators shortly to see if they want to feature the Guide in their Library. In the meantime, I will be sending copies to all regular posters on here.

Brilliant, will aid whoever amongst the regulars is around to give prompt concise accurate advice.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I cant wait to read it.

It will help us be consistent in any advice offered and allow access to the correct documentation to quote from.