John Lewis TV defective but not being replaced promptly

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have recently bought a Samsung 7000 series TV from JL and have persistently had lip synch issues. I have contacted Samsung and followed all their advice to no avail.

I've now been back to JL to ask for a replacement TV and been told that there are non in stock, but 160 expected soon.

However, they also say that they won't reserve one for me until they're in stock, and, the expected delivery may already all be sold.

My question is,

shouldn't existing, defective equipment, be replaced before any new orders are fulfilled?

Surely, using their existing policy, I could potentially never get a replacement TV if JL always supply new orders before existing, defective units are addressed.

Any helpful advice is gratefully received.

Why can you not just get a refund and buy one elsewhere?

If the shop has admitted liability and have offered to exchange it, surely they would have no argument to refunding you the money instead?

Thanks for the response Grumpy.

Good point but the problem is, we got the set for a hundred pounds less than I can find it anywhere else and JL have since increased the price too.

Hence, if I take the refund I could potentially end up out of pocket.

Hope this explains why I want them to honour the replacement pledge they make when they sell the TV. :-)

So did they offer you the refund or wait for one to come in to store or only the wait option? Did they explain the wait option involved waiting at the back of the line for the tv?

Basically Grumpy, they're saying that they'll honour any new orders first so therefore I'll only get a replacement set if new orders don't outnumber numbers coming into stock. I'd just like to understand their legal position and my rights.

If the TV is defective, John Lewis has obviously admitted that it is or else they would not be talking of supplying a replacement,

Forget waiting in line (I do ont know the legal position on that question), you are well within your rights to just demand a refund and go somewhere else where you can purchase the same TV or if not better for the same amount.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

If the TV is defective, John Lewis has obviously admitted that it is or else they would not be talking of supplying a replacement,

Forget waiting in line (I do ont know the legal position on that question), you are well within your rights to just demand a refund and go somewhere else where you can purchase the same TV or if not better for the same amount.

Stigman

Thanks Stigman. The only issue I have with just getting the refund is that I can't find another set at the price I paid for this one. I obviously don't want to end up a hundred pounds worse off when all they have to do is provide me with a working unit.

Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have recently bought a Samsung 7000 series TV from JL and have persistently had lip synch issues. I have contacted Samsung and followed all their advice to no avail.

If you have made contact with Samsung, get them to sort it out or replace it. It is obviously in warranty so they would be obliged to sort it. I know that your argument is with the retailer, but as you have already gone to the trouble of contacting Samsung see who will sort the issue out fastest.

Pete.

If I remember rightly the contract isn't with Samsung but with John Lewis leaving them responsible for resolving the issue.

As with anything like this a letter to the CEO normally gets people moving quite quickly.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

• 3 weeks later...