old Natwest card CCJ/CO - sold house - sols forgot to pay it - they now want paying?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

A few months ago I sold my house.

It had a charging order attached, worth £2000 ( for a ccj on a credit card). I informed the solicitor that was dealing with the sale and sent them details of who they had to pay, (Nat West). There was enough equity to pay for this.

The house sale went through without a hitch but I did notice that the charging order was not itemised on the final sale of house statement that the solicitor sent me.

Now, a few months down the line, the solicitor has contacted me to say they made a mistake and did not pay the charging order and can I send them £xxx to clear it.

The problem is I can't now pay the full amount. What should I do? I want to clear the debt and am thinking to ask that a payment plan is set up for £xx per month till the debt is paid. Will the bank accept this?

And what is the solicitor's role in this now, seeing as they have made the mistake? Should I make a complaint? And what happens to my credit record?

Sorry for all the questions!!! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

BAE :smile:

I think you could possibly kick up a stink as you had specifically instructed that the CO be paid. I have left a message for others who might be able to advise further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It sounds like the solicitor has been negligent here. You can certainly make a complaint. However I'm not sure you could prove that this negligence caused you financial loss. Perhaps the legal ombudsman would advise the solicitor to pay you some compensation but it might not be very much.

I think you are probably still liable to pay the money to the bank. Although the bank could not enforce the CCJ if it is more than 6 years old without getting court permission. Telling the bank what has happened and offering a payment plan sounds sensible ... the bank basically has just an unsecured debt.

I don't think this will affect your credit record, as the original CCJ should still drop off after 6 years.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS