• Tweets

• Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

GE Money - Unregulated Loan taken out July 2006

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They can't make you pay more off the arrears without going back to court.

Prepare a spreadsheet with all the extra charges and interest with amounts both before and after the court order and take this to court with you. Include the legal fees for when they failed to turn up. Others will be able to offer more advice I'm sure, but I suspect the judge won't be impressed by all the added extras.

You've stuck to the court order so I don't see they have a cat in hells chance of evicting you so try not to worry. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Thanks for the advice i will get on to completing a spreadsheet of the charges straight away

shall i include the normal interest or just the additional interest amounts they charge? :-)

I just cant wait to get it over with.

It doesn't feel like it is nearly Christmas with this looming!

Just any extra interest over and above the normal amount, and any there may be on charges.

I don't know if you've seen the thread about a recent case on unfair increases in interest rates. It may be relevant to your case too.

It'll feel like a go

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

There's a link here. Not sure if it will be of help to you but worth a read.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?411012-FAO-anyone-with-a-Firstplus-secured-loan.&p=4413953#post4413953

I'll see if I can get some help with your interest question .

Hi

Dropping in as requested by Caro.

I have had dealings with GE and on that case even their solicitor said to get away from them as soon as humanly possible.

They are a nasty bunch and should stick to what they are good at which is light bulbs.

Trouble is, when you are in arrears it will be extremely difficult to get another lender with whom you can remortgage.

The FCA (formerly the FSA) published a paper which said it was unfair to charge arrears charges when a borrower is in an agreed payment arrangement.

As a result any such charges which were put on to the account under those circumstances should be refunded to the account plus any interest charged as a result.

That is not the only reason because those charges are unlawful anyway because they do not represent the true cost to the company

following the breach of contract (i.e. the failure to make payments).

You should be claiming back the £40 charges plus the interest charged as a result of them and that will bring the overall balance down.

Generally, GE do not add the charges to the arrears figure.

If you look at your statements carefully you will see that they pop your charges and legal fees into a distinct pot

and any payments you make over and above the CMI must come off the arrears first.

Again, if you examine your statements carefully you should see that this is the case.

However, your overall balance is increasing due to the charges and legal costs being added

and what they (and all lenders do) is add those charges and fees to the overall balance and charge interest on them.

That will be mentioned in your T&Cs somewhere.

This is why they increase the CMI because these additional costs add to the balance outstanding

and in order to clear the balance at the agreed time the CMI has to increase by a few pence or a few pounds to cover those.

If you find that the extra payments being made over and above your CMI are not going to the actual arrears balance

then GE are in trouble, especially if the court have order that to clear the arrears it will be at a rate of CMI plus £x.

That £x must be allocated to arrears, not anything else.

So, when you reclaim the unlawful charges, you would use the interest rate that you have been charged on the account.

This means that you get the charges back plus the interest they have charged you.

That reduces the overall balance and should reduce the CMI slightly.

In respect of charging a solicitor's fee when no one turned up at court,

I would challenge them on that as well since you would have been charged on a time basis (or an estimate thereof)

and if no-one pitched up then you should ask for a detailed breakdown of that charge.

Have you been charged for home visits/counsellor's where they didn't turn up or which you did not agree to?

That is another ploy for GE to make money out of you.

If you have been charged for these under these circumstances claim those back as well together with interest as discussed above.

Hope this helps.

• Confused 1

Thanks ims.

Hope that helps Harris. :)

Great advice thank you both so much I am really grateful:-) I will have to read it again for it to sink in and understand it!

Yes they have charged for someone calling when i have refused and when the man came I sent him away and told him I already had a payment plan. I will ask for a breadkdown of that solicitors charge.

They are nasty!:-x

I know it's a lot to take in but I hope you'll find it worthwhile. The more prepared you are with ammo for court the better your chances of helping the judge to see that you've done everything asked and GE should take a running jump.

It's very empowering turning the tables and taking charge. Better still when these unfair charges are reclaimed.

Keep us posted and come back if you have any more questions.

If the company refuse to repay the charges with the interest then a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman should be filed. This is a very stressful time fighting this eviction, especially as this has been going on since 2007. May I ask what interest rate you are on?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I will pull out the loan document and come back to you re the interest rate tomorrow.

I have just finished putting together the spreadsheet of all the additional interest, admin charges etc together as advised..........

Amount in total since the start of the secured loan to date is £10525.01:x

Previous to May 2009 charges are £4815.54 since the order in May 2009 ( when i have paid the amount agreed in court every month) total charges £5709.47

Can someone please advise me how i should put this to the judge and defend the warrant of eviction when i go to court and should i start the process of claiming these charges back now or wait till after i have been to court.

Thank you so much for all the advice so far i am really grateful :-)

UKaviator - Interest rate is 7.75% per annum over the barclays Bank base lending rate.

The original agreement document stated - 'Interest rate 12.25% per annum fixed for an initial period of one month from the date of this agreement (4 July 2006) and thereafter at a rate of 7.75% per annum over the Barclays Bank Plc base lending rate from time to time (base rate)'

Hi,

Any pointers for what i can say to the judge next week in my defence, I have completed spreadsheets as previously advised just wondering if there is anything else I should add and should I begin claiming the charges back now?

Thanks

I think it's worth you putting in your claim now.

Have you read ell-enn's repossession guide which I think you'll find useful. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?325527-CAG-guide-Are-you-facing-eviction-or-repossession&p=3603854#post3603854

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

D day is looming tomorrow,

however today i received a call from GE who left a voicemail on my phone.

It wasn't from one of the many usual numbers and was not the automated message that left me a voicemail for a change it was a human being.

I tried to call them back this evening when I came home from work.

The department that was dealing with my case had left for the evening.

I am suspicious as to why they have rang me so close to the court date,

probably to hassle me into paying a lump sump.

I will not usually deal with them over the phone but thought i best ring them back incase they say tomorrow that I will not talk to them regarding my account!

Anyway tomorrow is a new day i will await another call from them in the morning before my afternoon court hearing!

Even if you get a call in the morning and you manage to sort something, still go to court in case they don't get the proceedings halted.

Have you put in a claim for charges?

Hi Car

I have sent a letter to get the ball rolling on the charges on Tuesday, so will wait to hear back from that.

Yes, i def intend to go to court tomorrow because if they do ring asking for a lump sump

I can not afford to give them anything so I don't think they will be happy with that.

I have all my spreadsheets printed that show all my payments since our last court appearance

and the fact that in over 4 years despite paying an extra amount each month

the arrears have reduced by only £350 roughly after all this time

due to the charges and additional interest they add each month!

Good stuff. :)

I suggest that you take 3 copies of everything so you have one, and you can give 1 each to the judge and the other sides legal rep.

Have you read ell-enn's repo guide and prepared a statement?

I have 3 of each, i sent a witness statement when i requested a hearing but i have since read the info from ellen. I have not prepared a new defence statement, do you think i should have done? At the time i sent one to the court and a copy to ge solicitors.

Can you post what your statement says please?

Hi,

did you check with the court that they received your defence statement?

If not, make sure you take copies of that too.

Get to the court early and ask the usher if they can put your spreadsheets in the file for the judge to read before the hearing

- make sure your name and case number are clearly written on them.

Also, if there are any duty legal advisers at the court approach them and ask for their assistance,

they can accompany you into court and support your case.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Caro - i will try and upload tomorrow as i am having mega problems with my internet tonight do currently replying by phone.

Ellen - yes they received it as they sent a copy back with the hearing time and date. Thanks for the advice i will do what you say tomorrow. Just hope i sleep ok tonight!! Hearing time is 14.40. Everything crossed!

Yes the court staff will know if there are duty advisers.

Good luck for tomorrow, looking forward to hearing good news :)

• Confused 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Don't worry about posting you defence if it's a problem. Just concentrate on preparing yourself for court and getting there in good time.

Obviously if you have any questions before just ask.

Good luck. :)