Proving identity to log on to HMRC

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hubby needs to submit self-assessment tax returns for the first time in years. Long since forgotten/lost login details and password for HMRC site, so now received these through the post. Just gone to log in and now have to prove his identity using either Experian or a company I've never heard of called digidentity. Chose Experian as the latter required a current passport and ours have run out, but Experian accepts details off a photocard driving licence - except it didn't and wanted passport details too, so now have to phone up. It did say the problem could be because the system was new.

Now what gets me, is the blurb says the Govt are using private companies for ID as they have the expertise in this field, yet they use DVLC and presumably the passport office to verify identification. Last time I heard, these were still under Govt control!

How long has this been in place and why is there a need for it? I've heard nothing about it on the news.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Update.

Have now been able to log on to HMRC and added email addy for future notifications. Confirmation email sent to addy with link to confirm it. Not only was there an email from HMRC, but also one from Experian confirming ID had been accepted.

So much for expertise!!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.