Jump to content

Accidently commuted benefit fraud


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi. Last year I was seriously ill in hospital. Social services became involved and my mum and dad looked after my son. He then because a looked after child/in care but under my mum and dads care. My son has still stayed with me two nights a week and comes round most days. Because of this, child benefit continued as he was still with me some of the time. I assumed that the same applied with child tax credits so continued to claim, and have continued buying his clothes, paying nursery fees etc. he has a room in my house and I have also paid for his clubs and toys etc.


However today I randomly stumbled upon a link that said that although child benefit continued if I had him at least two nights a week and contributed to his upbringing, I was unable to claim child tax credits because the local authority pay my parents a small sum of money each week. This means I have wrongly claimed for a year and I can't believe how stupid I have been. I don't know what to do, obviously I'm

Ringing then Tomo morning to to tell them that I'm not entitled and that I wrongly claimed but it's a genuine mistake. Will they just let me pay the money back or will I be prosecuted and have a criminal record? I am so so worried and have worries over my health as it is, and I honestly never meant to do this. I'm so

Embarrassed and humiliated. Ang advice please.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be better to send a letter.

Apologise for the oversight. Ask them to calculate the overpayment. Attaxh a finacial statement of income vs outgoings

Make an offer to pay x per week that you can afford.








The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only fraud if you deliberately claimed knowing you weren't entitled. You should be able to sort a repayment plan.


What's Best for You?



The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.


Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007



Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't personally write to them as they either don't receive it/reply or take weeks to which will just increase your overpayment.


Call today with the date of change and it will be updated. You will be overpaid but that's most likely as far as it will go if you make repayments. Once the overpayment has been calculated you will be sent a notice to pay letter, from there you can set up a repayment plan.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...