Requisition for failure to SORN

T111MXX
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This one is a little different to the others I have read through and I'd love your advice please.

I have just had a requisition for magistrates court through from the DVLA for failing to SORN my vehicle.

I sent the relevant SORN documents to the DVLA in plenty of time (roughly 4/5 weeks before the date they say on the requisition)...I then received the penalty (£50 raising to £100 if not paid quickly etc) through the post but thought nothing of it as I'd sent the SORN off weeks earlier.

One week passes and I receive my "SORN Acknowledgment" through the post but dated after (1 week to be exact) the date I am being penalised for.

(ie my vehicle didn't have insurance for that one week/wasn't SORN'd)

I sent a letter to the DVLA explains about sending it weeks earlier and must've been misplaced etc to which they swiftly replied telling me I was still liable for the penalty as I had not prosessed it in time. This is the problem because I had sent it in plenty of time and either a delay by Royal Mail or the document being delayed for processing at the DVLA itself has caused the overlap in dates.

I've sent off the requisition and pleaded Not Guilty and requested their witness to attend court. Is this the right thing to do??

I have no proof of posting but refuse to be bullied in to paying a penalty I don't deserve.

Any questions just let me know

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks, T

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

This one is a little different to the others I have read through and I'd love your advice please.

I have just had a requisition for magistrates court through from the DVLA for failing to SORN my vehicle.

I sent the relevant SORN documents to the DVLA in plenty of time (roughly 4/5 weeks before the date they say on the requisition)...I then received the penalty (£50 raising to £100 if not paid quickly etc) through the post but thought nothing of it as I'd sent the SORN off weeks earlier.

One week passes and I receive my "SORN Acknowledgment" through the post but dated after (1 week to be exact) the date I am being penalised for.

(ie my vehicle didn't have insurance for that one week/wasn't SORN'd)

I sent a letter to the DVLA explains about sending it weeks earlier and must've been misplaced etc to which they swiftly replied telling me I was still liable for the penalty as I had not prosessed it in time. This is the problem because I had sent it in plenty of time and either a delay by Royal Mail or the document being delayed for processing at the DVLA itself has caused the overlap in dates.

I've sent off the requisition and pleaded Not Guilty and requested their witness to attend court. Is this the right thing to do??

I have no proof of posting but refuse to be bullied in to paying a penalty I don't deserve.

Any questions just let me know

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks, T

Anyone?? Bueller?? Bueller?? 😂 help please??

• 2 months later...

Similar situation to me, however I never received any form of confirmation of SORN from them; I had to send another V890. It's good to stand your ground, just like I am. Unfortunately they would rather not use common sense, balance of probabilities or beyond reasonable doubt and try and abuse their power and try walk all over you to get money out of you. It would appear as though the enforcement dept are 'programmed robots'.The thing is, there is no requirement for you to obtain proof of posting, recorded post, special delivery to post out stuff to them. It's all extra cost to you. Yes, proof is helpful to your cause but hindsight is a great thing. If posting is that unreliable then the DVLA should seriously consider removing the postal option and try and arrange different ways excluding online or advise us accordingly. But then they'll never want to admit their own faults. Get in and write a formal complaint to their Customer Services and hopefully they will continue not to follow their own processes.

Similar situation to me, however I never received any form of confirmation of SORN from them; I had to send another V890. It's good to stand your ground, just like I am. Unfortunately they would rather not use common sense, balance of probabilities or beyond reasonable doubt and try and abuse their power and try walk all over you to get money out of you. It would appear as though the enforcement dept are 'programmed robots'.The thing is, there is no requirement for you to obtain proof of posting, recorded post, special delivery to post out stuff to them. It's all extra cost to you. Yes, proof is helpful to your cause but hindsight is a great thing. If posting is that unreliable then the DVLA should seriously consider removing the postal option and try and arrange different ways excluding online or advise us accordingly. But then they'll never want to admit their own faults. Get in and write a formal complaint to their Customer Services and hopefully they will continue not to follow their own processes.

When dealing with State Agencies I record ALL telephone conversations, I request as far as possible all communications in writing and I make copies of any documents I have to send and send them special delivery. I tell everyone to do the same - we all should.

I have found State Agencies are riddled with cowardly liars who will do or say anything to avoid responsibility for a failure. Obviously the culture inside these agencies is all about blaming each other - so no one wants to deal with a problem when you bring it to their attention.

Yes, when it comes to sending further information via the postal system we all need to take precautions and protect ourselves, it's a pity it's an extra cost to ourselves. It appears as though the DVLA will adapt policies to suit themselves and show a complete disregard to the consumer.It's interesting you say that state agencies are riddled with liars etc, a family member has experienced an issue with the purchase of their house years ago.

A certificate of posting is still free, you need to go into the post office and pass the letter over the counter, and request a certificate of posting.

Once you have the certificate of posting, and the post office have your letter you are covered a regards delivery to the recipient.