Trying to change deeds after mothers death

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mother died in May of last year,

she has left a property to me and my sister.

There was no will.

I was living with my mum and have decided to stay in the property,

but I needed a mortgage to pay my sister her half.

My mum had taken out a homeowner loan (endowment) which matured after 10 years in September 2014,

but the Royal Bank of Scotland have not been in contact with Aviva for the money yet.

Now my conveyancing solicitor is telling me he needs the deeds to change the property into my name,

but my probate solicitor is telling me he shouldn't need the deeds at all.

Which makes me wonder if he's taking me for a fool as I'm a 25 year old single girl with no parents to tell me he's wrong!!

The conveyancing solicitor is telling me he can't get hold of the deeds and is according to him sending out letters

- which is costing me money. When surely its easier to pick up a phone.

Me and my sister have done some ringing round and we found out in the same day the RBS do not have these deeds.

There is plenty more to my story, but

I was just wondering if any body out there knows if he indeed needs these deeds to transfer to me or not?

And if the fact my mum had a homeonwer loan has anything to do with it or not?

Thank you

Hannah:wink:

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, I know how it is to lose a parent.

You seem to have multiple issues here and I hope we can help you to unravel them. I will try to find someone to help.

One thing occurs to me for now. I don't understand why RBS haven't contact Aviva if the policy matured in September. Did anyone advise Aviva of your mum's death?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you.

Yes I contacted Aviva over my mums death and sent them the death certificate etc.

I don't have a clue, I have received letters from solicitors acting on behalf of the RBS saying they are going to repossess my house and all sorts. When it is down to the RBS.

Tomorrow I will be ringing the solicitors acting on the behalf of the RBS to explain all this to them.

Hannah

Once property has been registered, the title deeds are of very little use to anyone. As there was an endowment which matured recently this property will almost certainly be registered. You can check on the land registry website.

I don't understand why the original title deeds are necessary. Ownership of property is no longer proved by deeds; it is proved by registration on the land register. You should ask your conveyancer why he wants them.

I don't think it is down to RBS to contact Aviva. Endowment policies are separate to the mortgage debt. I think it is incumbent on whoever is handling probate to get that money and pay it to RBS.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

EDITED

Hello Hanham.

I am really sorry for your loss, I can understand how hard it must be for you to deal with all of this whilst you are still grieving.

Back in the 80's / 90's, when someone was sold an endowment mortgage, the lender would request that the endowment is assigned to them.

This ensured that when the endowment matured, the funds were paid to the lender and not to the borrower.

However, this has not happened for many years now. The funds from the endowment will now form part of the estate and as such the executor / administrator can request payment of the funds, which can then be paid to RBS.

If the property is not in your name, there may be issues relating to inheretance tax (discussion for another day)

Steampowered is correct about the title deed and the land registry. Going by the date of the mortgage, if it wasn't already the property would have been registered at the time of the mortgage.

If you go on the land registry website you can download a copy of the title deed.

Edited by honeybee13
Tidying extra script.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

If you go on the land registry website you can download a copy of the title deed.

Further to bhall's point above - you can download a "copy" of the title deed from the Land Registry website for £3.00, I think. However, if you need a certified copy, you will need to complete the form that you will find the link for on the LR site, download it and send to the LR address with £7.00

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

https://www.gov.uk/protect-land-property-from-fraud

This is the link for LR - if you scroll down you will find the link that will allow you to either download the copy (for a fee) or take you to the application form for a certified copy.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello bhall, nice to see you again.

I've tidied up your post for you. :)

HB

Thank you HB, very much appreciated

Hanham, I have not had the chance to read all of the guidance yet but this may be of interest to you

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/whole-of-registered-title-assent-as1/completing-forms-ap1-and-as1-for-the-assent-of-a-registered-property#how-to-complete-form-ap1

When I get a few spare minutes over the weekend, I will read it properly and see if it useful

Yes Mark, I am Bones

My mother died in May of last year,

she has left a property to me and my sister.

There was no will.

I was living with my mum and have decided to stay in the property,

but I needed a mortgage to pay my sister her half.

My mum had taken out a homeowner loan (endowment) which matured after 10 years in September 2014,

but the Royal Bank of Scotland have not been in contact with Aviva for the money yet.

Now my conveyancing solicitor is telling me he needs the deeds to change the property into my name,

but my probate solicitor is telling me he shouldn't need the deeds at all.

Which makes me wonder if he's taking me for a fool as I'm a 25 year old single girl with no parents to tell me he's wrong!!

The conveyancing solicitor is telling me he can't get hold of the deeds and is according to him sending out letters

- which is costing me money. When surely its easier to pick up a phone.

Me and my sister have done some ringing round and we found out in the same day the RBS do not have these deeds.

There is plenty more to my story, but

I was just wondering if any body out there knows if he indeed needs these deeds to transfer to me or not?

And if the fact my mum had a homeonwer loan has anything to do with it or not?

Thank you

Hannah:wink:

Hello Hannah

Have you been able to make any progress ?

Yes Mark, I am Bones

Was in a very similar position a few years ago.

If the mortgage (assuming there was one of course) was taken out and paid off years ago there is no reason why the property would be registered. Are you sure the deeds aren't somewhere in the house? At the end of the term they should have been returned to the owner.

Had to send the deeds to the mortgage providers solicitors then both of us had to sign a TR1 land registry form at a local solicitors to pay off my sibling and put ownership into my name.

If it is unregistered land you would have to apply for first registration.

Oh and in simple cases it is easy to do probate yourselves just involves some form filling in and a trip to the local probate office - basically to prove who you are we were in there about 10 mins - and cost about £100.