Police sent to my home after complaint made about employee of housing association

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All,

I made a formal complaint to my housing assoc. about excessive noise made by one of their cleaners

(who cleans the communal stairs in the flats where I live, and who I've asked not to make noise before).

When I asked the cleaner to stop making such excessive noise, she was rude toward me and I was a bit shaken up about it.

When making my complaint to the housing assoc., they suggested that I complain to the police about the cleaner if I thought they'd been aggressive.

I declined and said that I thought it was unnecessary to involve the police and that complaining to them was sufficient.

Two days later (today) I have been visited by two police officers, who claimed that the cleaner had now said that it was me who had been aggressive :mad2:!

They advised me that should she be noisy again not to speak to her directly and to contact the housing assoc.

I asked if I was being charged with anything, and they said not.

I also asked why it was deemed necessary to send the police, when an email from the housing assoc. would have been sufficient?!

I feel utterly intimidated by the whole thing, and believe that the housing assoc. are abusing their power and authority.

Can I be arrested/prosecuted for this specious complaint?

Anyone know what my rights are?

Or if there's anything I can do about this?

Best wishes,

Milly (worried)

Did you make your complaint to the Housing Association in writing and keep a copy ?

It does rather seem as though your complaint has produced a counter claim from the cleaner.

I will see if there is anyone who can perhaps offer more advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello citizenB, and thank you for your reply.

I made the complaint over the phone, but sent the following email as a follow up:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email. Further to our telephone conversation earlier today, I would like to enquire as to whether or not [name of housing assoc.] have any 2 or 3 bedroom properties available that I could potentially move to (I am not in receipt of any benefits, and therefore would not be liable for the 'bedroom tax' and can thus afford more than one bedroom)?

I ask this as I no longer feel safe or secure residing at XXXX, especially as a single occupant. So far I have had to call the police due to harassment from the resident in number X, there have been several incidents of anti-social behaviour from the residents at number X, there have been incidents of criminal damage to cars parked outside (car tyres slashed), we were informed prior to the new year that there had been a burglary, and finally today's incident.

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Milly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose the email shows that I had made a complaint, but it doesn't show the nature of the complaint.

Best wishes,

Milly

I'd be very surprised if the HA involved the police without trying to resolve it first. Do you know if it was the cleaner or HA that reported this?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I suggest that you carry a small recorder and record al contacts from now on.

S small digital recorder can be left on for about 8 hours or so and it will record everything. That way there is no room for any misunderstanding

Hello caro, and thanks for your message,

I received an email response from the HA, which corroborates my version of what happened, in that the HA suggested police intervention, which I declined as being heavy-handed and unnecessary. They also state in their email that the cleaner made a complaint about me (only after I had complained about her) and took the next step and reported me to the police.

I clearly stated to the HA that neither me, nor the cleaner were aggressive, but I did say that I was disturbed by the confrontation. It is the HA who suggested police intervention. I believe that the HA would have also encouraged the cleaner to report me to the police. All I did was request that the cleaner stop being noisy.

The email then goes on to state that I am in breech of my tenancy agreement and threatens me with legal action.

I just don't know what to do...Shan't be sleeping tonight methinks.

Best wishes,

Milly

Edited by Milly Weeble
Not allowed to copy the original message from the HA

check the second hand shops like cex or your local elecs place

they tend to have some voice recorders they cant get rid of so do them cheap

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

What was the excessive noise?

Playing the radio? Singing or shouting?

What time of day was it?

It was around 8.45am, she was singing and banging loudly (slamming a manual vacuum cleaner against every skirting board). The problem is that the flats do not have sealed front doors, they just have fire doors that don't buffer any noise (or drafts) from the hallway. If someone is speaking when entering their flat, it sounds as though they are in another room to your own. I explained this to her before Xmas, but since then the noise has increased. I appreciate the type of door isn't the cleaner's fault.

Best wishes,

Milly

Hello caro, and thanks for your message,

I received an email response from the HA, which corroborates my version of what happened, in that the HA suggested police intervention, which I declined as being heavy-handed and unnecessary. They also state in their email that the cleaner made a complaint about me (only after I had complained about her) and took the next step and reported me to the police.

I clearly stated to the HA that neither me, nor the cleaner were aggressive, but I did say that I was disturbed by the confrontation. It is the HA who suggested police intervention. I believe that the HA would have also encouraged the cleaner to report me to the police. All I did was request that the cleaner stop being noisy.

The email then goes on to state that I am in breech of my tenancy agreement and threatens me with legal action.

I just don't know what to do...Shan't be sleeping tonight methinks.

Best wishes,

Milly

What does the email say about you being in breach of your tenancy agreement?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Although you haven't explicitly brought this up, you mention asking for a 2 or 3 bed house, but say you are a single occupier. Would it be normal for a HA to offer a 2 or 3 bed house to a single occupier? Is private an option for you?

By combining the two issues in your email the HA may have come to the conclusion that you are hyping problems to provide a reason for moving.

I am wondering whether the issues you have had with your neighbours are stressing you out, and maybe your anxiety was interpreted by the cleaner as aggression. The cleaner's rota may be set by the HA and she may have limited time requiring that she rushes (which means more banging).

The best option would seem to be for the HA to rearrange the cleaner's rota to do your building later in the day. But in practice, cleaning at 8.45 once a week or so (I assume) would not normally be considered unreasonable even if it were quite noisy.

What does the email say about you being in breach of your tenancy agreement?

In summary, it states (I can't copy and paste due to the legal wording on the email): Re: Verbal aggression - this is a very serious matter and - HA will not tolerate or accept this type of behaviour - breaches the terms of your tenancy agreement - should this behaviour continue then the HA may consider legal action.

It looks to me like they're making it up as they go along. It also appears to me to be a malicious counter-complaint.

Cheers,

Milly

Although you haven't explicitly brought this up, you mention asking for a 2 or 3 bed house, but say you are a single occupier. Would it be normal for a HA to offer a 2 or 3 bed house to a single occupier? Is private an option for you?

By combining the two issues in your email the HA may have come to the conclusion that you are hyping problems to provide a reason for moving.

I am wondering whether the issues you have had with your neighbours are stressing you out, and maybe your anxiety was interpreted by the cleaner as aggression. The cleaner's rota may be set by the HA and she may have limited time requiring that she rushes (which means more banging).

The best option would seem to be for the HA to rearrange the cleaner's rota to do your building later in the day. But in practice, cleaning at 8.45 once a week or so (I assume) would not normally be considered unreasonable even if it were quite noisy.

The flat I'm in now is a 3 bedroom property. I'm not in receipt of benefits, so I suppose renting privately is an option, but I'd lose all the tenancy protections I currently have (having lived here 4 years+). I merely made a 'small/minor' complaint about the noise made by the cleaner. It is the HA who have needlessly escalated the complaint and involved the police.