eBay - buyer falsely reported item not as described not returned item

crystalsound
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband and I have been happy ebay members for several years. Quite recently approx. 1 year ago we decided to sell a few things on ebay.

We have sold only a few items on ebay and almost each time, we experienced issues with problematic and dishonest buyers , we have been cheated from dishonest buyers and ebay, so much that we decided to stop once and for all to sell on ebay.

First to start with, we are always very accurate with our descriptions, selling only genuine items described fully, providing normally 10 or 12 clear photos of the piece by showing every part of the objet, together with an accurate written description.

We also advice to email us in advance in case of any query or question from the buyer and it is clearly stated in the listing that we are only private sellers therefore we do NOT accept returns for any reason. The recent main problem with ebay is that so many buyers are abusing the ''returns policy'' by falsely claiming that an item is '' not as described '' or '' not genuine '' when it is well described and absolutely genuine. Here briefly what dishonest buyers do :

1- They buy your item

2 - they FALSELY claim that it is ''not as described'' once they get the item

3- initial blackmail emails from the buyer, then if the refund is refused they will force a return by opening a case with ebay

4- they will get their money back and also your item too for free !!!!!! This is what the recent ebay ' returns policy ' is all about. eBay is now a free rental agency or more like if you are a buyer '' buy what you want, get your money back and keep the goods for free, no worries ebay will take care of everything !! ''

So here the last terrifying story happened to us just a few weeks ago. We sold an antique mirror with embroidered frame from the 17th Century, purchased personally a year before from a reputable auction house with included documentation of authenticity.

The buyer did not ask any question prior to buy the item, he purchased the item, took a week to pay for it and only after we emailed him. He received the item carefully and professionally packaged in two large new thick boxes with a full roll of new bubble wrap and tape, new boxes costs £10 each and at no extra cost for the buyer, the same day that the item was delivered, we receive an email from the buyer stating that '' the item is not genuine and I want to send it back '', all nonsense because the item is absolutely genuine and well documented.

We refused to accept the return because the item was accurately described and genuine plus it was stated, no returns in our listing.. two days later the buyer opened a case in ebay, we then provided full written evidence of the authenticity of the mirror and frame from the reputable auction house where we purchased the item from to ebay, and they just did not care !!!!

Ebay refunded the buyer the following day and told the buyer to destroy the item !!!!! :faint2: then ebay billed us with £1,000 and we lost a rare valuable item too !!! :!: the criminal buyer does not reply to our emails, he received the money back now from ebay, he will not send our item back anymore, ebay told him even to destroy the item !!!!!! .. by the way the buyer did not provide any evidence of this with any photo when he was supposed to provide evidence of the item being destroyed.

There is no doubt that the buyer ( a highly dishonest smooth criminal in this case ) knew very well that the item is authentic, he made up all this nonsense to get fully refunded by ebay and having the item for free. He knew what to do and how to get our item and money back. We have been completely cheated, we lost a rare valuable item and money but ebay will not see a penny from us :mad2:. except for the listing and selling fee already paid.

We provided full evidence of the authenticity of the piece which it has been completely ignored by ebay :!: plus the item has NOT been returned to us so we are more than happy to solve the matter with our sollicitors if needed.

Meanwhile, never again. My advice to other ebay members is not to sell anything on ebay , more than ever now with this recent revised so called 'returns policy' !!!! .. but if you are really thinking to sell on ebay anyway, be aware of these criminal buyers and particularly that ebay always side with the buyers, no matter what and no matter if you have evidence to prove otherwise, they will ignore your emails, your evidence or proof, unless you show them a letter from the police or your sollicitor and even with this they might still ignore the whole thing. As mentioned, this is the last time we get betrayed from ebay.:sad:

Edited by citizenB
formatting

If the buyer has retained the item as well as the refund, then you could raise a small claim in the county court against him. This doesn't cost very much and is very easy to do.

Did you keep the original receipts and a copy of the document of authenticity ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My husband and I have been happy ebay members for several years. Quite recently approx. 1 year ago we decided to sell a few things on ebay.

We have sold only a few items on ebay and almost each time, we experienced issues with problematic and dishonest buyers , we have been cheated from dishonest buyers and ebay, so much that we decided to stop once and for all to sell on ebay.

First to start with, we are always very accurate with our descriptions, selling only genuine items described fully, providing normally 10 or 12 clear photos of the piece by showing every part of the objet, together with an accurate written description.

We also advice to email us in advance in case of any query or question from the buyer and it is clearly stated in the listing that we are only private sellers therefore we do NOT accept returns for any reason. The recent main problem with ebay is that so many buyers are abusing the ''returns policy'' by falsely claiming that an item is '' not as described '' or '' not genuine '' when it is well described and absolutely genuine. Here briefly what dishonest buyers do :

1- They buy your item

2 - they FALSELY claim that it is ''not as described'' once they get the item

3- initial blackmail emails from the buyer, then if the refund is refused they will force a return by opening a case with ebay

4- they will get their money back and also your item too for free !!!!!! This is what the recent ebay ' returns policy ' is all about. eBay is now a free rental agency or more like if you are a buyer '' buy what you want, get your money back and keep the goods for free, no worries ebay will take care of everything !! ''

So here the last terrifying story happened to us just a few weeks ago. We sold an antique mirror with embroidered frame from the 17th Century, purchased personally a year before from a reputable auction house with included documentation of authenticity.

The buyer did not ask any question prior to buy the item, he purchased the item, took a week to pay for it and only after we emailed him. He received the item carefully and professionally packaged in two large new thick boxes with a full roll of new bubble wrap and tape, new boxes costs £10 each and at no extra cost for the buyer, the same day that the item was delivered, we receive an email from the buyer stating that '' the item is not genuine and I want to send it back '', all nonsense because the item is absolutely genuine and well documented.

We refused to accept the return because the item was accurately described and genuine plus it was stated, no returns in our listing.. two days later the buyer opened a case in ebay, we then provided full written evidence of the authenticity of the mirror and frame from the reputable auction house where we purchased the item from to ebay, and they just did not care !!!!

Ebay refunded the buyer the following day and told the buyer to destroy the item !!!!! :faint2: then ebay billed us with £1,000 and we lost a rare valuable item too !!! :!: the criminal buyer does not reply to our emails, he received the money back now from ebay, he will not send our item back anymore, ebay told him even to destroy the item !!!!!! .. by the way the buyer did not provide any evidence of this with any photo when he was supposed to provide evidence of the item being destroyed.

There is no doubt that the buyer ( a highly dishonest smooth criminal in this case ) knew very well that the item is authentic, he made up all this nonsense to get fully refunded by ebay and having the item for free. He knew what to do and how to get our item and money back. We have been completely cheated, we lost a rare valuable item and money but ebay will not see a penny from us :mad2:. except for the listing and selling fee already paid.

We provided full evidence of the authenticity of the piece which it has been completely ignored by ebay :!: plus the item has NOT been returned to us so we are more than happy to solve the matter with our sollicitors if needed.

Meanwhile, never again. My advice to other ebay members is not to sell anything on ebay , more than ever now with this recent revised so called 'returns policy' !!!! .. but if you are really thinking to sell on ebay anyway, be aware of these criminal buyers and particularly that ebay always side with the buyers, no matter what and no matter if you have evidence to prove otherwise, they will ignore your emails, your evidence or proof, unless you show them a letter from the police or your sollicitor and even with this they might still ignore the whole thing. As mentioned, this is the last time we get betrayed from ebay.:sad:

I do feel for you & your husband, it's maddening & deplorable to find yourself in this awful situation.

Sadly eBay has now become known as a place for [problematic] & all sorts of unsavory behaviour going on. Esp with high end goods & high price tag items.

I used to sell items on eBay way back when it was a better place, now you wouldn't catch me going near the place even to buy.

As my last personal experience involved a high end designer handbag, located in London, selling @ £400.

Everything appeared legit.

The reality though was different.

China is not a place in London!!

Anyways back to your situation, it may be that you could do as CB has suggested?

Either way I wish you good luck & hope you do get this sorted!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

i also gave up on ebay as well they have totally destroyed what ebay used to be . I would also issue a small claims against the buyer call his bluff . because if you have it already authenticated then i would think it would be up o him to disprove authenticity

Thank you for the replies and the useful advice, really appreciate it. Yes, we have the original document of authenticity and receipts. The other main point is that the buyer after being fully refunded, has not returned our property.

A crime so far under british law.

My husband and I are now considering to open a small court case against this buyer.

Edited by crystalsound

Perhaps name ebay as a co-defendant as they were acting as the intermediaries and benefited financially from the transaction by way of their fees.

Perhaps some of the legal experts would care to comment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the replies on my post. As for my post, we kept our promise. After we stated our intention to persue legal action against ebay and the dishonest buyer, ebay decided not to persue the money. Concluding, the dishonest buyer got the item for free, completely refunded by ebay.