Jump to content

Council renovating flat found asbstos

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

The council is revamping the flats where my son lives and they done an asbestos test and found asbestos flooring and also where the wall heaters are. I knew the toilet was made of asbestos .which they changed. He is not happy about this and nor am I. They want to do the works whilst he is there considering he lives in a one room bedsit.



He is refusing for them to do the works as this could be a health hazard. What can he do I think personally they should rehouse him.









Link to post
Share on other sites


I can honestly say I have never heard of a toilet made of asbestos before!!!!


White asbestos is usually what is found in domestic situations (the home) and so long as it is not damaged or flaking, this can be left in place or coated to prevent exposure.


If they do need to remove it they can do it two different ways. the simplest being to dampen it down before removal then a full vacuum with HEPA filters to clear any remaining asbestos. The other way is far more expensive and I suspect won't be used. this is a full clean environment with the areas sheeted off with plastic and a negative pressure system in place to contain the asbestos. this is usually used for brown and blue asbestos (the most toxic).


So long as the contractor follows procedure, there will be little or no risk to staying there

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Link to post
Share on other sites

As this is Council Housing the Council will have an Asbestos Policy & Procedure in place and an Asbestos Register.


As has been pointed out so long as the Contractor follows procedures there should be no risk.


As you seem very concerned about this try to arrange a meeting so your son can air his concerns and let them respond.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew the toilet was made of asbestos .which they changed.


Like silverfox1961 said. "Never heard of a toilet made of asbestos".

I suspect it was the SVP (Soil Vent Pipe) or in laymans terms the toilet waste pipe. Very common usage circa 1970.


As quoted by silverfox1961. White asbestos if remove in the described manner presents all most zero risk to health.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I am a former plumber, and can assure everyone that toilet cisterns and seats manunufactured from the "asbestos reinforced plastic", Bakelite were very wide spread throughout the uk. As were asbestos cement cisterns (cold water tanks, and feed and expansion tanks) Both should only be removed im a safe manner by qualified people.


Bakelite toilet cisterns, they are often dark brown or black, frequentley painted on the exterior. Bakelite toilet cisterns primarilypresent a risk because every time they are flushed there is a degree of abrasion at the lever point wether on a low level, or high level cistern.


There is a risk af breakage of any cistern. I have replaced many. Bakelite is espescialy when old fragile. when it breaks, it releases particles of asbestos into the air. These cisterns should never be cleaned with a scouring pad or abrasive. Indeed they should not be touched. If you have asbestos get it proffessionaly removed. Please do not under any circumstances dismantle or attempt to remove it yourself. If you live in local authority, or Housing Assosciation housing, they will safley remove it for you.


If your housing is now private but was formerly local authority built / owned, particularly if the asbestos / containing material was installed by them. They may possibly remove it for you free of charge. I am aware of one example of where the local authority did this in a then privatley owned house.


Please, as a man who has witnesed seven members of my own family die from asbestos related cancer, please do not handle disturb or drill into anything you might slightly suspect to be asbestos. At my fathers inquest, it was stated that one asbestos fiber is all that is required to cause cancer. Degree of exposure is not neccesarily a determining factor in the likley hood of developing related cancer.


There is information on various websites about where you might find it in your home. Every DIYer should be fully up to date on this before any works. The message is: Do not disturb it! Even something as simple as removing wallpaper from the inide of windows, or pinning christmas decorations to a textured cieling could expose you.


Inform your selves, long may you live ; )

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...