Damaged ABS wheel sensor and rear drive shaft faulty after 4 months of purchase. HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So i've purchased a 2nd hand BMW320i from a dealer. All was good until recently the car starts jerking violently. Ive sent it to KWIT- FIT and they couldnt find where the problem is, hence they advise me to bring it to the BMW manufacture. After the diagnostic test, they quoted me a 1600pounds replacement fee!!!!! The car was 5xxx pounds. Ive purchased it in october, and drove less than 3000miles. I've also tried to call the dealer but they refuse to take up any responsibility. The BMW manufacture told me the ABS wheel sensor for both rears and the rear drive shaft was corroded. I would like to get some advise as to what i should do!!!i am just a student and this replacement fee is a HUGE burden for me :(

P.S: isit normal for the Rear wheel sensor or the Reer shaft to get corrosion? As its the interior of the car, could there be any other possible reasons leading to the corrosion?

Edited by askachan

Then, as per the regulations, as it is within the first six months, it is assumed that the problem was there at the time of purchase and you should be writing to the dealer spelling out the problem and what you want done.

Don't use the telephone unless you can record the call, (you don't have to inform them you are recording). lets see what they have to say.

The problem is the dealer refuse to take responsibilities as it has pass the "warranty " dates and the issue only happened this month. But bmw manufactur said the problem happened due to corrosion,which couldn't happen overnight within a period of 4 months. If they refuse to pay the reparment fees, would I be in favor if I file a legal complaint through "small claim courts"?

Yes, you can go through the courts, but this will have to be your choice and you must go through the protocol first. That will be a letter detailing the problem, and you can mention what BMW have said, and requesting he repair, replace or refund.

If he again refuses, then you will request again with a Letter Before Action. All these should be done by letter and preferably recorded delivery.

Forget warranty, we are talking regulations. Any warranty is extra to your statutory rights. Those regulations say that a fault that appears within the first six months are assumed to have been there at the time of sale.

This is the main reason I say write and not phone. Send him a letter saying you are requesting a repair under the Sale of Goods Act and not the warranty that is extra to my statutory rights.

Yes, you can go through the courts, but this will have to be your choice and you must go through the protocol first. That will be a letter detailing the problem, and you can mention what BMW have said, and requesting he repair, replace or refund.

If he again refuses, then you will request again with a Letter Before Action. All these should be done by letter and preferably recorded delivery.

Forget warranty, we are talking regulations. Any warranty is extra to your statutory rights. Those regulations say that a fault that appears within the first six months are assumed to have been there at the time of sale.

This is the main reason I say write and not phone. Send him a letter saying you are requesting a repair under the Sale of Goods Act and not the warranty that is extra to my statutory rights.

I've sent a text message explaining the full situation. so I should sent a Letter before action? In addition should I call BMW to get pictures of the corroded parts and maybe a letter confirming their findings?

It's a known falt of many makes and models to get the abs sensor and rings corroded.

They fit them in a 'dirty' spot subject to water, gravel, etc. without any protection.

I regularly spray mine with silicone grease after a sorry failure which costed me hours of labour and parts.