Vodafone - Fraudulent upgrade placed on my account -#9227428

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello CAG!

You know, there are times when we all have to deal with 'not so good' customer service but in the end matters end up being resolved with some persistence.

However with Vodafone customer support I've never felt soo helpless. I have followed their process to the letter, and thus so far it has got me nowhere.

I need a Vodafone rep to action on this and get it sorted.

Background:

• June 2012 - I sign up to Vodafone as a new customer, 24 month contract (Iphone 4).

• June 2014 - Contract ends, I do not change anything.

• October 2014 - I decide to DOWNGRADE to a sim 30 day contract plan (£11.ono) as this suits my needs and I don't want to upgrade.

My plan is changed as requested, no long term contract. - See Attachment #1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55754[/ATTACH]

Everything WAS GOOD - until...

Mid January 2015 a fraudulent upgrade order is placed on my account. I have a 'full-fat' version of my issue in a thread with attachments over at the Vodafone eForum... which sadly has got me NOWHERE.

## I'll need to PM the rep the forum link as I can't post the link on here ##

Monday 12th Jan 2015

• Text message received on my mobile thanking me for the upgrade. What upgrade?

• I try to login into the online portal to make sure all is well.

• I can't login, I'm able to reset my account, seems someone changed the username (email address), added an extra character.

• Price plan still shows 1mth Sim only, £11.50 ... so I think nothing of it, perhaps a glitch.

Wednesday 14th Jan 2015 - 10pm

• DPD email received confirming that my Vodafone package is to sent out tomorrow. What the hell? - even worse... it has my name on the package and an address based in Birmingham... I do NOT have any connection with that address, nor do I live in Birmingham!

• I try logging into the online portal, once again my username has been changed. I managed to get access back, and now my bill has bumped up to £48.50!!... from what I can see it's a two year contract on an iphone 6!

• What the fraudster didn't know, was that I received the DPD delivery email, therefore I was able to change the delivery day to one FULL week later so that he/she would not get it tomorrow.

• Once delivery had been changed, I spoke to Vodafone web support, called lost/stolen dept on the phone and even filled in a online 'Fraud Claim' form on their site to cover all bases!

Thursday 15th Jan 2015 - 8.30am

• Call the Vodafone Lost/Stolen dept for an update, they confirm DPD has got the package and is returning it back to Vodaphone... SUCCESS! - See Attachment #2

• They also mentioned the fraudulent order was placed via the web portal.

• Finally I am told the non-contact Fraud team will need 7-10 days to investigate before my account is returned back to normal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55755[/ATTACH]

Thursday 15th January 2015 - 7:00pm

• I receive an automated email from Vodafone in the evening confirming my new 'fraudulent' plan - I know at this point I need to wait 7-10 days for the fraud team to do their thing and put everything back to normal.

• I can no longer login to my online account as it was confirmed by customer services online access has been deleted for security purposes. I agree with this move, though it means for the time being I have no easy way of checking my tarrif/bill.

Email Confirmation of new fraudulent plan - See Attachment 3.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55753[/ATTACH]

Sunday 18th January 2015

• I call Vodafone support to catch up on 'RETURN' status of the package from DPD. Note that from the moment "return to consignor" was requested the DPD tracking page no longer updates (I guess it has a new consignment number).

• It's apparently on it's way through returns so I'm told. The billing team confirm my account is still set to bill £48.50 on the new plan(contract), and that it can't be changed until the Fraud team are done investigating. As a precaution the advisor did tell me to cancel my direct debit which I have done.

• The fraudsters try to trick me into releasing my account details (since they no longer have web access to my account). They send me this bogus email, hoping I'd click on the link and submit my information. They sent it twice an hour later, I guess they are pretty pi$$ed they didn't get their iphone6: - See Attachment 4

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55752[/ATTACH]

Wednesday 21st January 2015 - 11:30am

• I use the Vodafone support chat to find out more about what is going on. The agent confirms the handset has arrived back at the warehouse.

• My account is still set to the new contract (£48.50)....!

• I've also reached the point at which I want to leave Vodafone once this mess has been fixed. See Attachment 5:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55751[/ATTACH]

Sunday 25th January 2014 - 4:44pm

• Vodafone Forum Staff send me a special form link to escalate my issue ... a.k.a golden ticket.

• A WRT Reference is supplied: #9227428

• I am then given the following response:

Thanks for your email here.

I understand that you wish to cancel the upgrade which has been done on your account without your consent. I can see that a fraud case is already raised on your account and the team is investigating on this matter.

As the dedicated team is checking on this we can't comment on this issue at this point of time. As soon as the investigation is complete the team will let you know. Any corrective measures, (if required) will be taken by the team and your account will be made up to date.

It may take up to 4 - 5 more working days for the team to complete the investigation. You can get back to us after this timeframe for any update if you don't get any update by this time.

Your patience and cooperation in this matter will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

######

Customer Service Agent (eForum)

Wrapping it up

5 days on since that last update, did I get a call or any correspondence from the Vodafone team? .... No.

Has my plan reverted back to what it was (sim 30day) .... No.

Do they have their phone back? ... Yes.

Vodafone, you can't deny I have tried everything to make sure this matter is resolved and that I am not billed incorrectly. Were the phone truly stolen (delivered to fraudster) I could understand the need for a longer investigation, but the handset is back with you yet my account is still set on a 2 year contract for £48.50 p/m.

Vodafone reps, I need help with the following please:

1. Some form of direct communication with you. I'm done with talking to web chat support, general telephone support, and eForum - I keep going around in circles.

2. A REAL update from the fraud team. I know customers cannot contact them directly, but internal staff can - I don't want to hear another generic "they need x days" statement... they have the handset!

3. Revert my account to what it was, sim 30 day, and provide me with a PAC code - I'm moving on, a PAC code once activated should properly terminate my account.

Thanks for reading! :dizzy:

Dal

Edited by TurboGuru

you didn't need to spam the forum to gain 10 posts

use PDF attachments.

was this Lee that issued the WRT number

if not please follow the link below

We here at CAg have a very successful VodaFone Rep operating here

We advise you to follow this method to alert them to your thread:

If you'd like any help from Lee, email your details via the Contact us form here (https://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST&PARTITION_ID=1&CONFIGURATION=1000&COUNTRY=us&LANGUAGE=en)

you MUST PUT the code 'WRT135 - CAG Forum' in the subject line.

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post back with this

Vodafone UK

CAG.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dal,

I've got your email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee

I have received no phone call or further correspondence from you or support since your reply.

Having called the 191 automated billing section, I hear that my account is still set to the fraudulent tariff at almost £50 (includes my small amount of genuine calls).

Please be aware that in a week from now my DD would normally go out - I do not want to be billed for a tarrif I did not order only to have the payment then default.

I have done absolutely everything since the start of this fiasco to log down as much information as I can to help Vodafone solve the issue promptly. It has got me nowhere. :|

Do be aware that my quick actions prevented the phone from reaching the fraudster, essentially preventing Vodafone from incurring a 'loss'. And in return all my requests for information are simply ignored or given token responses. This is completely unacceptable.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Hi

Lee is quite good at resolving issues here but as the fraud team are involved there may be nothing he can do but he may give you more info than you are getting at the moment.

He may wish to talk to you on the phone which you may feel is unusual but if asked, he will also provide an email of what has been discussed so that you have 'hard copy'

Keep an eye on your bank account just in case another DD is set up without your knowledge.

Also keep an eye on your credit file as VF are quick to post late payment markers and this can be detrimental to you.

I cannot say I am certain of this but I think some VF staff do not have access to every part of the system and as such, may not be able to see that there is a fraud case associated with this.

Other than that, it is now in VF's hands which doesn't feel comfortable at all.

BTW, I liked the way you laid out your post. Very easy to follow.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hey Silverfox!

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed it appears the delay is around the fraud team. I guess I'm a little frustrated at why it is taking longer than stated. For instance, if the fraudster did obtain the phone then I could understand the extra time needed, as it would be my word against theirs [fraudster]. In my case, the phone was returned back to Vodafone vid DPD, the fraudster never got a chance to obtain it.

From what I know, when new phones are returned to Vodafone (due to a customer changing their mind), the IMEI number is scanned into their warehouse system and processed as a return. Thus my old plan is reinstated and the new contract voided. Granted my case is a fraud incident, I just don't understand why the new plan/contract hasn't been cancelled before it becomes a big mess (billing).

I hear you on the DD stuff, I've been checking my bank details regularly to ensure there are no other DD setup. I'll need to keep my eye on the credit report too as suggested, I'm trying everything to not let those markers be put on in the first place.

With regards to Lee or someone at Vodafone calling, I'd have no problems with that at all, it would be great to talk.

Thanks for the kind words, I structured and logged everything down this way so that if it ends up getting messy (which it looks like) it would be easy for Vodafone to look through the series of events.

:ohwell:

Hi Lee

Yes I received your email, many thanks Lee. I am waiting patiently for the letter to arrive from Vodafone confirming I have been a victim of impersonation fraud and then hoping providing an update. Hopefully this will arrive soon.

I have some interesting updates though...

Saturday 7th Feb 2015 - 11:00am

I had received a paper bill for £76.04 which is incorrect (billing against new plan). I called up the accounts dept, I just wanted to make it clear that there would be no payment until the situation is rectified (eg. I am back on my old plan, correct bill), hence adding a 'note' to the account to expect delayed payment or something along those lines.

The agent I spoke to was able to pass me through to the fraud team so I could find out more about my case. The agent from the fraud team told me that the case had been completed and given the green light on Friday 6th. For some reason she did not sound convincing but I was happy to hear the news. Then at 3pm I received an email from Lee confirming I would receive written notice from Vodafone about the case conclusion, the investigation appears to be over :)

Tuesday 11th Feb 2015 - 7:00pm

Whilst I am waiting for the letter to arrive from Vodafone, I thought I'd try calling 191-automated-billing just to see if my account had been restored to it's previous state. Remember, at this time I had no online access to manage my account (old one was deleted for security). The billing info is sent via SMS, and I noticed it mentioned my next bill was around the £11 mark, and my last issued bill was £63.37 ex Vat.... interesting, so it looks as though my previous plan may finally be back?

So I created a new online account to access my account, and from what I can see it's now showing my old £11.50 plan... whoo hoo! However, when I enter the billing section I still have the most recent bill requesting £76.04.

Lee - Can you please confirm if this invoice will be voided and a new one generated using my old plan? - I'm not sure where I stand with this bill at the moment? Thank you :-)

See Attachments:

txtLatestBill.png = Bill info recieved via 191 automated SMS.

incorrectBill.png = As seen on portal billing page (I also have a hard copy).

correctPlanReinstated.png = Confirmation that my old 30 day rolling sim plan is back

Edited by TurboGuru

Ok, a quick update...

Thursday 12th Feb 2015

I received a response from Lee confirming the account is definetley on the old price plan (£11.50) which is all good.

We are however still waiting for the 'Corporate Security department' to sort out this February bill which is demanding £76.04. Although the bill payment date has passed I have not received any form of letter/phone call regarding late/non payment?

Furthermore I have received an official letter from Vodafone confirming I was a victim of fraud and that the fraudulent order has been scrapped and all charges removed. As above though still waiting for the £76.04 bill to properly removed, but I'm happy I have this document.

I have also received a PAC code. Unfortunately I cannot use a non-Vodafone SIM in my iPhone because it is locked. I filled in a form on the Vodafone web site to request an unlock and received a response a few days later rejecting the unlock. The reasons were due to my answers for "post code, payment method and D.O.B" not matching their records?? Not only is the information I supplied correct but one can verify through the online portal.

Anyway, I've requested it again. If it is rejected for the same reasons I'll need some help. (Could buy a cheap phone I guess to get this PAC rolling).

My issue won't be entirely over until the number is ported to my new network provider and the final bill settled with the correct amount, but with the progress made so far I'd like to thank everyone here and especially Lee for their help, I very much appreciate it. :cool:

Only since logging my issue on CAG have the wheels started turning, I'll be back soon with some more updates when I have them. :)

Thanks

Looking good at the moment then. I would keep that letter safe and make copies just to be safe.

I won't mark this thread resolved until you get the PAC code sorted but it may be worth getting a cheap phone as you have suggested.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE