Ctc over payment

snailz

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I made a big mistake with my child tax credit, last April

me and my partner moved into a new home together, previous to this I lived alone with my children.

The very day we moved in we spent all day on the phone phoning the relevant organisations, There was council tax, ESA, dla, and income support in which we made a joint claim and closed down my ESA claim.

However I made a big mistake and failed to contact child tax credits, I thought they were linked with child benefit, I guess at the time with just moving that day I was so worried about getting everything declared with income support that I didn't consider even phoning child tax as I had informed child benefit of my changes.

Anyway now they have contacted me to say I owe around £8,000, I apologised and explained my error, They were very understanding but said I will have to pay the entire tax credits back since April, I would have been entitled to slightly more should I have claimed as a joint application.

Is there anything I can do to avoid paying the whole amount back? It was a genuine error but it was my own fault.

I have a lot of debts/bills and would struggle to pay it back.

The CAB suggested I request to offset but would I actually be able to do this? Thank you and please don't judge me, I know iv been stupid :(

Edited by honeybee13
p

Hello there.

We're not here to judge you, everyone overlooks details sometimes.

At least they aren't threatening legal action. From what I've seen, CTC are usually happy to accept repayments. What I can't remember is whether you can pay back less.

Hopefully someone else here will know and post up the information for you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you :) they aren't taking any legal action because they know it was an error. They can see Iv informed every other relevant department apart from theirs. To be honest I think I'll take it to court if they don't accept the offsetting, I'm on tramadol for bad pain and it makes me so drowsy, it was just an oversight as I had so much to do with just moving that day, and so many benefits to inform all in different places, it's hard to remember to do everything especially when I wasn't well. I know it was an error but I think it's wrong to punish someone for an easy mistake. If I wanted to defraud the system then I wouldn't have declared my change of circumstance to every other department knowing that ctc would find out. I even informed child benefit which apparently is the same place but not the same department, it's so confusing.

• 8 months later...

Hi am I able to bump this up? I finally heard back today from tax credits saying I had to pay £9000 as I was found out by compliance and even though it was an error they consider it deliberate. I am not being accepted for offsetting :(. Is there anything I can do? It certainly wasn't deliberate as I informed every other department. Does anybody have knowledge of what I do next to dispute this? Thanks