Comparison sites still hiding cheapest deals

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Comparison sites accused over calls

The "big five" comparison websites are directing callers to energy tariffs that earn them commission despite being asked for the cheapest deal - months after they faced allegations that they used similar tactics online, it has been claimed.

Collective switching website The Big Deal has released recordings of phone calls and transcripts from last month in which it claims that all five of the biggest comparison sites - uSwitch, Go Compare, MoneySuperMarket, Compare the Market and Confused.com - failed to mention deals that did not pay them a commission.

In the case of uSwitch, the difference between what it claimed was the cheapest deal and the actual lowest tariff was £60, The Big Deal said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2935857/Comparison-sites-accused-calls.html

You can read the phone call transcripts here:

https://thisisthebigdeal.com/blog/PCW-Miselling-Over-The-Phone

Last October it was revealed that the price comparison sites were hiding the cheapest “switching” deals in favour of suppliers who pay them commission.

Consumers were only given access to the full range of deals – that is, including suppliers who did not pay the sites commission for referring potential customers – if they unticked pre-selected boxes.

Confused and MoneySupermarket have since stopped hiding energy deals, but uSwitch, Go Compare and Compare the Market still only show deals they make commission from by default.

Absolutely true. I had got lazy in the last 2 years and only used one comparison site, partly because the other half insisted on the fluffy toy. Imagine my shock when I checked out another money saving comparison site that I go to regularly to find renewing my car insurance well over 100 pounds (40%) cheaper for very similar (better it seemed to me) cover with a number of 'name' brands .....

oops

I realise this is utilities thread, but the concept goes way beyond simply comparing utility costs - and isnt insurance as important?

Check on multiple comparison sites for everything folks - don't get lazy like I did.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

most comparison sites exist to make money for the owner of site, so they would only show deals that would earn the website money

the comparison sites are not there out of the goodness of their own heart to help people find the cheapest deal.

for the cheapest deals, it is better not to use comparison sites and to go direct to companies.

for the cheapest deals, it is better not to use comparison sites and to go direct to companies.

Absolutely INCORRECT.

Firstly, many companies offer special web only deals, but even they don't compare with the deals on the comparison sites.

I think there are very few people around nowadays who get offered a good deal without at the very least threatening to leave a company.

I remember the time before comparison sites. Its way better now - just ensure you go to multiple comparison sites. It only takes a few more minutes.

EVERY time I have gone direct to a company (yes EVERY time) I have :

a: Always had better deals (often many better deals) from the comparison sites

b: Almost always got a better deal from the comparison site even deals from the same company I tried direct, and never worse.

c: Even when talking to the sites direct I have usually been offered better when I decline the direct contact offers, with them usually still not even matching themselves on the comparison site deal.

They often say that the deal that they are offering (higher than themselves on the comparison site) is the BEST they can offer!

As a specific example of one that doesn't use the comparison sites, I have NEVER, EVER, had direct line offer me a competitive deal, let alone an outstanding one.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

• 3 weeks later...

hi tobyjugg,

I am not 'Absolutely INCORRECT' as you state. Our experiences differ. You have found that you have obtained cheaper deals from comparison sites, whilst I have found cheaper deals from companies direct, most not on comparison sites.

If somone wants the cheapest possible deal, then they should use comparison sites as a tool, but also search for other companies which are not on comparison sites.

• 4 weeks later...
hi tobyjugg,

I am not 'Absolutely INCORRECT' as you state. Our experiences differ. You have found that you have obtained cheaper deals from comparison sites, whilst I have found cheaper deals from companies direct, most not on comparison sites.

If somone wants the cheapest possible deal, then they should use comparison sites as a tool, but also search for other companies which are not on comparison sites.

which is very different to your initial statement

which I quoted and IS absolutely INCORRECT as I stated.

It is NOT better NOT to use comparison sites,

some recent info, also re compensation/money back

'..Now, the Commons Energy and Climate Change Committee says "duped" customers should get some money back.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31661858

Thanks for the link Ford,

Shame that its just political grandstanding (is there any other form of politics other than take the money and quietly look after those who pay you)

The Tory Legacy

FWIW, I recently renewed my car insurance

I used Confused, GoCompare and Topcashback Compare. Swinton were the lowest with all 3, each over £500.

I went direct to Swinton (after clearing cookies) got a quote for £324 and £75 chequeback. Massively cheaper going direct in my case.

FWIW, I recently renewed my car insurance

I used Confused, GoCompare and Topcashback Compare. Swinton were the lowest with all 3, each over £500.

I went direct to Swinton (after clearing cookies) got a quote for £324 and £75 chequeback. Massively cheaper going direct in my case.

Excellent in your case. I also tried swinton and direct line, neither of whom were competitive although both said if i told them what my best quote was they would beat it.

Direct Line reluctantly did by a penny, Swinton pretty much insinuated I was lying.

Have you read the Swinton threads?

(I did have a Norwich Union motorcycle rider policy through Swinton for a long time many many years ago, and have had house insurance through them for 1 year which I moved when the policy renewal doubled at the end of the first year for no apparent reason)

The Tory Legacy

No I haven't read any of the threads, but they were massively cheaper than other companies, I had a non fault accident last year which put my premiums up massively, they were so much lower I actually double checked they had took note of the accident, the next cheapest was about £750 by some company I'd never heard of, then most were about £900, so £250 inc chequeback was massively cheaper. Direct Line were £1900 but they have always been way over the top for me, so have never used them. Lets hope I never have o use hem apart from paying them :)

No I haven't read any of the threads, but they were massively cheaper than other companies, I had a non fault accident last year which put my premiums up massively, they were so much lower I actually double checked they had took note of the accident, the next cheapest was about £750 by some company I'd never heard of, then most were about £900, so £250 inc chequeback was massively cheaper. Direct Line were £1900 but they have always been way over the top for me, so have never used them. Lets hope I never have o use hem apart from paying them :)

Not doubting you in any way but if I were you I would very carefully check my policy and ensure all the details, including the accident have been properly registered.

1/3 the price of everyone else really does sound too good to be true (not doubting you), but just make sure that the swinton saleperson hasn't misrepresented you to get a sale. They will of course blame you if that is the case and consider the insurance void if it does come out after an accident.

It may be a very impressive new customer discount, but its worth checking for your own peace of mind.

The Tory Legacy

Thanks for the link Ford,

Shame that its just political grandstanding (is there any other form of politics other than take the money and quietly look after those who pay you)

never know, something positive may result from their involvement. that stops the consumer being ripped off, hopefully :)

Not doubting you in any way but if I were you I would very carefully check my policy and ensure all the details, including the accident have been properly registered.

1/3 the price of everyone else really does sound too good to be true (not doubting you), but just make sure that the swinton saleperson hasn't misrepresented you to get a sale. They will of course blame you if that is the case and consider the insurance void if it does come out after an accident.

It may be a very impressive new customer discount, but its worth checking for your own peace of mind.

It was done online, then I checked over the phone it was recorded correctly ;)

It was done online, then I checked over the phone it was recorded correctly ;)

Congratulations, Thats got to be the widest % margin I have ever seen between a cheapest and the next cheapest for car insurance based on them all having the same information. :)

I thought my recent 40% difference between the (poor) best on the meerkat and the best on moneysaving (although there were lots of others near the price on moneysaving) was epic. You hammered it.

The Tory Legacy

I think clearing cookies is quite important too, especially if you clicked on a quote from a comparison site. I've always had cheaper quotes by not going through comparison sites tbh, well certainly over the past 5 years or so. Even using topcashback and going to the insurer direct gets better quotes, obviously thats just me amd others are likely to be different.

If I only used the meerkat comparison site, I would probably be able to get cheaper direct quotes somewhere, but using multiple comparison sites has always been the best options from what I have experienced.

Even the 'beat any quote (by a penny)' direct companiesc would not go anywhere like as low without the comparison sites driving the competition up and the prices down.

There will always be exceptions, but consider how many sites you could realistically ring and how many you would miss without the comparison sites. You can be certain those exceptional deals would not be there, or findable without the higher competition.

I remember the days when you used to ring around a dozen companies to get quotes, and then 3 months after you had bought one, hearing someone say they got a better deal elsewhere, which wasn't there next time your renewal came up.

Even with the fiddling going on, I have absolutely zero doubts that getting good insurance quotes is far easier and better since multiple comparison sites started up.

The Tory Legacy

I agree and I always start with the comparison sites, usually use at least 3, but I always tend to find a pattern emerging, 4 or 5 companies usually give the best 3 quotes across them all. I then use those 4 or 5 to get direct quotes on a clean browser, and re-run them using Topcashback. Last year there wasn't much of a difference but Liverpool Victoria came out about £40 cheaper direct, through topcashback it was only £30 and coppers cheaper, but they were offering £35 cashback do did it that was instead, as the cashback meant an extra £25 over going direct :)

Its a bit of a hassle and takes maybe an hour, but even last year saved £65, way I look at it, if someone offered me £65 for an hours work typing on a computer then I would do it no problem, so this is the same :)

I think clearing cookies is quite important too, especially if you clicked on a quote from a comparison site. I've always had cheaper quotes by not going through comparison sites tbh, well certainly over the past 5 years or so. Even using topcashback and going to the insurer direct gets better quotes, obviously thats just me amd others are likely to be different.

That is what I found

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• 1 month later...
I agree and I always start with the comparison sites, usually use at least 3, but I always tend to find a pattern emerging, 4 or 5 companies usually give the best 3 quotes across them all. I then use those 4 or 5 to get direct quotes on a clean browser, and re-run them using Topcashback. Last year there wasn't much of a difference but Liverpool Victoria came out about £40 cheaper direct, through topcashback it was only £30 and coppers cheaper, but they were offering £35 cashback do did it that was instead, as the cashback meant an extra £25 over going direct :)

Its a bit of a hassle and takes maybe an hour, but even last year saved £65, way I look at it, if someone offered me £65 for an hours work typing on a computer then I would do it no problem, so this is the same :)

Did you try moneysaving at all?

A number of quotes on moneysaving were far cheaper than any on gocompare or the meerkat for me. The latter two were much the same.

The Tory Legacy