• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell/BW Claimform - old CAT 'debt' not properly executed?

onceceltic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, Very new to this forum but have read dozens of the threads and hope I have followed the correct protocol.

I have sent a CCA Request to the claimant and BW Legal, no response yet

I have sent a CPR31.14 request to the solicitor named on the claim no response yet

I have done the AOS via the online portal stating I will be defending all of the claim.

Name of the Claimant ? Lowell Portfolio 1 LTD

Date of issue – 15th Jan 2015

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim?

The claimant’s claim is for the sum of £1648.00

being monies due from the Defendants to the Claimant under a Home Shopping agreement

regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between the defendant

and JD Williams & Company limited under account Wxxxxxx and

assigned to the Claimant on 04/01/2013 notice of which has been given to the defendant.

The Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and

a default notice has been served and not complied with.

The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the county courts Act 1984

at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.30 from the date of assignment of

the agreement to 04/01/2014 being an amount of £109.80

What is the value of the claim? Amount claimed 1498.00 Court Fees 70.00 Solicitor’s costs 80.00 Total amount 1648.00

Is the claim for a current account or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? Home shopping Catalogue

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? 01/07/2002

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor

or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Lowell

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? NO

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not Sure but probably

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? NO

Why did you cease payments? Account dispute, erroneous charges added for items not received

What was the date of your last payment? December 2009

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Yes

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor

and make any attempt to enter into a dept management plan? NO

Background

An “account” was set up over the internet in 2002,

no CCA was ever received or signed by myself.

The account was operated frequently for a period of 7 years with no issue,

with the credit limit increasing over this time to £3,500.

In Dec 2009, ordered items failed to be delivered,

Fashion World failed to accept this despite there being no proof of delivery.

At the time Fashion world used HDNL as their couriers who were well know to misplace parcels

and leave them on door steps etc.

Months of arguing perused, with me refusing to make any further payments

until the errors on the account were corrected.

Lots of threatening letters and harassment phone calls over most of 2010,

resulting in me having to change our phone number.

Throughout this I maintained if the account was corrected I would recommence the payments.

Balance at this point was around £500. Eventually letters stopped.

In early 2012, as a result of having a credit application refused,

I checked my Experian credit file. It was at this point I found out that Fashion World

had marked a default on my file on Dec 2012.

At this point I became aware that the dept may be unenforceable due to the manner that the account had been set up.

I wrote to again to Fashion World advising them that despite my believing the dept to be unenforceable,

I was prepared to pay off the original amount on the proviso that they removed all record of the default from my credit file.

I also at this point requested a copy of my agreement.

This letter was not responded to.

No other correspondence was received in relation to this account until

I got the Court Claim on 20th Jan 2015

followed by a letter the next day (dated 19/01/15)

from BW Legal advising “we have now issued legal proceedings”.

I understand that I now have until 16/02/15 to submit my defence, which is where I need some help.

From what I have read, I believe the agreement was not properly executed

so cannot be enforced through the courts.

Is this correct and if so what parts of the law should I be citing in the defence.

Would it also benefit to state that the assignment had occurred whilst the account was in dispute or would that be acknowledging validity of the agreement.

Any Help would be appreciated, Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG

You seem to have grasped quite well how to deal with this from your post above...with regards the defence you do not have to go into legal detail as to how and why the agreement is unenforceable.

The fact is that the account is in dispute...you ordered items and they failed to deliver...you tried to resolve...they didnt want to know.

Have a read of the following and look for similar threads in our success forum...in particular catalogs and by the claimant Lowell...you will see how to initially respond...the form content and layout of successful defences.Then try to draft one yourself to fit your particulars of claim...post it here to be checked and advised on.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?190-DCA-Legal-Successes

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

One point to add is that

I have today checked my credit file and

the entry from Fashion world had disappeared completely

but there is a new one there from Lowell,

showing just one entry of a default on Jan 2011

no history and says last updated on 08/05/13

that's std practice when a debt is sold on.

as long as the defaulted date in the summary does not change

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as long as the defaulted date in the summary does not change

dx

It has changed, the original on my credit report states Fashion World default as 21/12/2010 current report shows Lowell default date as 04/01/2011

I know it is only 2 weeks but is this of any relevance ?

not worth arguing over 2 weeks

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think I have gone a bit OTT on the defence but felt it would be easier for someone here to advise me to remove stuff rather than add.

Could someone please take a look and advise.

Also could someone clarify the exact date I need to submit the defence given that the issue date was 15th Jan 2015.

I make the deadline as 16th of Feb 2015 is this correct?

Particulars of Claim

1. The claimant’s claim is for the sum of £1648.00 being monies due from the Defendants to the Claimant under a Home Shopping agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between the defendant and JD Williams & Company limited under account Wxxxxxx

2. and assigned to the Claimant on 04/01/2013 notice of which has been given to the defendant.

3. The Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with.

4. The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the county courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.30 from the date of assignment of the agreement to 04/01/2014 being an amount of £109.80

Defence

1. It is accepted that I have had financial dealings with a mail order company called Fashion World (now know to be JD Williams & Company) in the past. However it is denied that any agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 exists between myself and JD Williams & Company limited.

An “account” was set up over the internet 27th July 2002, No agreement was ever received or signed by myself and given that this action took place before December 2004, The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 does not apply. Therefore any agreement will have been improperly executed as s.61 (1)a of the act was not complied with.

In 2009, as a result charges being made for goods that were not received, the account was placed in dispute by myself until the matter was rectified. At this point a formal request pursuant to s.79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 was sent to Fashion World requiring they provide me with a true signed copy of the alleged credit agreement relating to the above account. The Fashion World has failed to comply and therefore is in default of this request and as such unable to request any relief until compliance. This request was not respond to.

In addition upon receipt of the claim form I have sent another formal request pursuant to s.79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to both the Claimant and their solicitors requesting they provide me with a true signed copy of the alleged credit agreement relating to the above account. The Claimant has failed to respond to the CCA Request sent to the Claimant and Claimant's Solicitor and therefore is in default of this request and as such unable to request any relief until compliance.

Furthermore the Claimant's solicitors has failed to and refused to comply with a request for documentation pursuant to CPR 31.14

The Claim is therefore denied until such time the claimant can clarify and comply with my request under section 79 of CCA1974.
  2. No correspondence has been received from Fashion World since December 2010, I am not aware of any Assignment of any alleged debt nor have I ever received any Notice of Assignment pursuant to the law of property act 1925. It is against the OFT 664 guidance for debt collection and the lending code for any alleged debt to be assigned whilst it is in dispute.
  3. Any alleged agreement will have been improperly executed as s.61 (1)a of the act was not complied with. No default notice has ever been received thus there can be no suggestion of non compliance.
  4. The claimant is denied section 69 interest to the value of £ 109.80 which they have included within the alleged debt. It has yet to be judged and is at the discretion of the court to allow any interest.
  5. As no agreement is in place and no terms and conditions have been signed the defendant is not able to be in breach of any terms and conditions and therefore it is not believed a Default Notice was issued to the defendant, not could be issued to the defendant, and the Claimant has thus failed to provide a copy stated in their particulars of claim.
  6. As any alleged agreement would have been made prior to a) 06/04/2007 and b) before the of the Consumer Credit Act 2002 then s.127 (1)a and s.127 (3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 will apply and the court is directed not to make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with.
  7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.
  8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
  9. As any transactions made with JD Williams were not under a credit agreement, the defendant maintains no further money is owed to the Claimant.
  10. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

not till Friday 20th feb by 4pm

take you time

dx

and they

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

The four letters I sent (two cca requests and two CPR 31.14)

to both BW Legal and Lowell were shown as signed for on the 3rd Feb.

I have today received a letter from BW Legal that reads as follows....

We write with reference to the above matter and in response to your letter dated 25 January 2015.

We confirm we have received your request for documentation under s78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We have referred your request to our client.

Our client may have to refer your request to your original creditor.

Accordingly, the documentation will be forwarded to you upon receipt.

We will seek to ensure that the information you have requested is provided within 12 working days,

however this is contingent on receiving the documentation from your Original Creditor within the aforementioned timescale.

What now?

What is the relevance of the 12 days they mention,

I believe I have until the 20th to submit the defence,

however I do not want to leave it until the last minute in case of any technical issues.

Should I just use the standard template below or should I also include the facts around improperly executed agreement as s.61 (1)a of the act

was not complied with and also mention the other elements of point 1 of the defence I drafted above?.

Is less more in this case or should I Include all the ammunition I have?

1.The claimant’s claim is for the sum of £1648.00

being monies due from the Defendants to the Claimant under a Home Shopping agreement

regulated by the consumer creditlink3.gif Act 1974 between the defendant

and JD Williams & Company limited under account Wxxxxxx

2.assigned to the Claimant on 04/01/2013 notice of which has been given to the defendant.

3. The Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and

a default notice has been served and not complied with.

3. The claim also includes statutory interestlink3.gif pursuant to section 69 of the county courts Act 1984

at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.30 from the date of assignment of

the agreement to 04/01/2014 being an amount of £109.80

Defence

The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature.

The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

1.Paragraph 1 is noted. I have had an agreement in the past with Shop Direct but any alleged balance is and remains in dispute for faulty goods/services.

2.Paragraph 2 is denied I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served over 3 years ago.

3.It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant,

the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach requested by CPR 31. 14,

Furthermore a request was made pursuant to the CCA1974 section 78 and as at this date the claimant has failed to comply

and therefore in default of said request, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5.On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.

6.By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

All your advice is most appreciated

Many Thanks

Edited by onceceltic
re formant of post

typically under a CCA request they have 12+2 [working days] to comply.

however if they fail by the time of your due date

then you file regardless.

dx

and they

the defence you have provided [amended]

is all you need

however you do not need to file before 4pm Friday via MCOL

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Further update

Got letter on 19th Feb from the court acknowledging receipt of defence

advising claimant must contact the court within 28 days if they wish to proceed.

If no response is received within this period the claim will be stayed.

Strangely, got a letter today from BWLegal that reads as follows....

Your monthly instalment amount has not been received

We have not received your agreed payment of £70.00 which was due to be paid and your account is now in arrears.

We understand that there may a number of reasons for you not paying the agreed amount

but it is important that you contact us to make your payment as soon as possible.

Then there are a couple of paragraphs around how they can help work things out, including offering a revised payment plan.

The letter then ends will please call us on 0113 323 1782 to discuss

and avoid any further calls or correspondence from us on this matter.

I have never had any agreement with Lowell or BWL and have never paid either a penny

I called the court and they have confirmed that they have not responded to the defence that was filed

and they need to respond by the 24th of the claim will be stayed.

Is this letter likely to be an administrative error or is it some sort of legal ploy to infer that there is an agreement in place.

Should I call them or should I just ignore the latter.

Many Thanks in advance of any advice

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Called the court today as the date that BWL/Lowell had to respond has now passed. The court advised that the case is “stayed” and that the claimant would need to pay a fee if they decided to proceed any further. They stated that if this happened, the court would inform me.

So is that it?

Do I or should I do anything else either now or further down the line?

Thanks

in a word nope

dx

and they