Andyorch

I wanted to switch to another insurance firm, M&S sent in debt collectors

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1628 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A reader wanted to switch pet insurance provider, but was threatened with enforcement action by her current provider M&S Bank

I received the renewal documents for an M&S pet insurance policy which I have had for a number of years. I decided to shop around and managed to find cover with the same benefits elsewhere for considerably less, so I decided to cancel my direct debit.

Two weeks later I received a letter from M&S Insurance telling me that a “default notice” had been served. I was concerned by the tone of the letter, telling me that I had breached the terms of a loan agreement with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance and asking me to take action.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/wanted-switch-another-insurance-firm-114613800.html

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My mother had a similar letter after I advised her to cancel a home emergency cover policy from RSA. After reading the small print, I concluded that after the exclusions were taken in to account, it provided zero cover. The annual premium would have been better saved to call out a local tradesman in the unlikely event something needed doing.

RSA posted their nasty letter threatening all sorts of things, and on reading it, I gave them a very strongly worded telephone call pointing out the errors in their ways. The next letter from them was an apology claiming it was a misunderstanding.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

...I decided to shop around and managed to find cover with the same benefits elsewhere for considerably less, so I decided to cancel my direct debit...

If you read the linked article, you'll see that the letter wasn't a result of shopping around and wanting to leave, or due to policy auto-renewal, but because the direct debit was cancelled, probably too early, and the final payment of the policy, £ 14.85, couldn't be collected.

So the lesson of the story: Don't be too eager to cancel direct debits until you are sure that all the required payments have been made.