• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PCN - Medway counci and soon to be Maidstone council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I Feel that there has been a miscarriage of justice against me by Medway and Maidstone council.

Last January i came down to your lovely part of kent for a job interview and parked in a car park in Maidstone.

I went to pay

the machine would not take my cash

i had to risk leaving it.

I got a parking ticket which i contested

was rejected

i paid, using the online method as we are all urged to do now on my bank card.

in October i got a letter from a debt collectors trying to get money from me for the ticket

i rang them straight away to resolve the matter

was told to email proof of payment.

I sent a copy of my bank statement showing payment

thought the matter was dealt with again.

on Thursday a bailiff turned up to take my car away,

i told him what has happened so far and

he went and made some calls.

Apparently i had paid Medway council and not Maidstone council,

I then questioned how they could have taken my money as i had entered parking ticket numbers and car registration etc when paying online.

I have since spoken to both councils to resolve the matter but have had a "Tough luck" response from both. I

paid in good faith even though i thought it unjust in the first place

and am amazed that Medway council can just take money from people willy-nilly,

i wonder how much they have got of other peoples as they have never tried to give my money back

that was taken incorrectly and is now going to cost me my car and possibly my job.

I donated another £1 today to Medway council via their online payment sysem, daylight robbery.

I appreciate that this seems quite trivial but i feel i did everything i am expected to do

and i am just having two fingers stuck up at me from two major councils.

:-x:x:evil:

You need to stayoff the phone

TThe bailiffs will be after one thing money so trying to convince them you owe nothing won't work!

Start with a formal complaint to the council involved

Your local MP should help you on this

Bailiff has no right of entry so keep door locked

Car is vulnerable do you have a garage

Tuck car away from bailiffs

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Sounds like they have a 'shared' back office system

- very bad news for the constituents b

ut very good news for the councils!

These seem to exist primarly to generate 'additional revenue sources' for the council coffers

than benefit the constituents trying to sort out a problem.

Parking isn't my area but I've had personal experience of the mis-management of shared information

systems and trying to sort out the resulting mess caused by them.

You HAVE resolved it - you paid the ticket and have the proof of that. The bailiff has very little grounds to chase you. Just because somebody else pushed the wrong button their end isn't your fault or problem. Stick to that - any court in the land will agree the same.

But i somehow paid the wrong council. So they are saying it is my error, where as i see it as they should never have taken the money if it wasnt due to them. I entered all of the details requested and they still took the money leaving me thinking i have paid it!

My address has not changed in 4 years and the car has been for 2 years since i bought it. After i paid the ticket i never received any correspondence from anyone until October when i got a letter from the bailiff, which i phoned and sent my bank bill showing the payment and then never heard anything until the bailiff turned up and clamped my car!

Have you checked the address they sent it to?

You might be able to contest all this, but if they've been writing to the correct address,

then your chances of succeeding are not great.

If they have the wrong address, then your chances are much higher.

When you get a PCN, you should also be sent:

Notice to Owner;

Charge Certificate;

Order for Recovery

- all before bailiffs are involved.

So if they are saying they sent all this to your correct address,

you'll have a hard time convincing them that none of them arrived.

If I were you I'd check the exact address they were writing to and post back here.

Incidentally, this isn't instead of other suggestions above - it's as well as them.

OK, so check what address they have on record. If it's correct, ask when they obtained that address.

As I said, you are entitled to three things:

Notice to Owner; Charge Certificate; Order for Recovery

Also ask for the dates of those documents.

They must have had the correct address on record prior to the Notice to Owner, or they will not have issued the documents to you.

If their address is wrong, you can file an Out of Time Statutory Declaration - but one step at a time for the moment...

Stay off the phone, email both councils with the FULL details of the transaction, explain what happened and tell them to call their dogs off otherwise you are going public with this. It is THEIR backroom systems at fault.

Firstly, telephoning is instant.

Secondly, the person on the phone isn't going to ignore you when you ask the question.

Thirdly they aren't going to desist just because they're told to.

And fourthly, we don't know who is at fault at the moment.

Apart from that, I agree.

also don't forget chargeback if you paid the wrong council wit your debit card if all else fails to get your moneyback

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Where did you get the URL from for the payment website ?

I can't actually remember, I thought from the ticket but I could be mistaken. I am not useless on a computer either I pay nearly all of my bills and purchase insurance etc so wonder how I made the mistake?

I just went on to maidstone councils website to see if I can pay by error on there but it would not take payment without a correct PCN!

If only it was the other way round. Spoke to the bailiff yesterday and he will be back on Thursday, 1 week after first attending, probably at my cost!

So the error is yours not the councils.

I would say that the council you paid, (not necessarily at fault as they just claimed on the details given to them).

But a payment not intended for them should be claimed back. Pay the proper council and then send the other a letter of demand for a refund, give them a date by which to pay, say 14 days. I would send it recorded so you can be certain they received it.

You can also claim 8% statutory interest, so do it.

If they respond in the negative or don't respond at all, then send them a Letter Before Action which in general is the same as the demand you sent before but headed in bold, letter before action.

The letter should give them another 14 days and end with words to the effect that failure to refund will result in further action being taken without further notice.

This isn't like someone denying they have received payment in error, they (as you say) have admitted it so can't keep it.

I should add that you must be prepared to go to court, if you aren't, then there is no point in threatening it.

It really shouldn't require such a heavy-handed approach. Just start by explaining the error and asking for a refund. I can't forsee any objections on their part. Only if you get nowhere would you need to start threats and deadlines etc. Chances are they have their own targets for refunds, which might well be more than 14 days - so be it. Just ask how long it will take, and let them do their stuff.

It really shouldn't require such a heavy-handed approach. Just start by explaining the error and asking for a refund. I can't forsee any objections on their part. Only if you get nowhere would you need to start threats and deadlines etc. Chances are they have their own targets for refunds, which might well be more than 14 days - so be it. Just ask how long it will take, and let them do their stuff.

I have since spoken to both councils to resolve the matter but have had a "Tough luck" response from both.

So we move up to the next stage.

Hi everybody,

the afternoon before the bailiffs were due back i received an email from my MP stating they would be liaising with the council.

i phoned the bailiff to see if he can put me off until i had heard back from my MP and he agreed to make me the last stop on his round.

The next afternoon i was contacted by the MP saying that they had suspended the bailiffs for seven days whilst i was to seek legal advice.

I Was a little happier but then realised that this would mean i have to prove that Maidstone did not send me notices etc,

which is impossible and i was going to get stuffed again!

then i received a call from the local councils ombudsman,

he started with they dont really deal with parking tickets but mine relates to the computer system

he has spoken to the councils and put off the bailiffs indefinitely until he gets to the bottom of it.

Whilst i was on the phone to him i received a call from a chap in complaints department of maidstone council

saying he had heard from my local MP and the ombudsman and was very apologetic and was going to see what he can do.

I told him my gripe is not really with maidstone but medway, apart from not receiving any correspondence from them

which would of enabled to deal with this earlier.

He then sent me an email for point of contact and would be conversing with medway to see if they can resolve the matter.

And that is where i am at today, hopefully a bit of common sense will prevail and i can put an end to this sorry mess!

Thanks to all who gave advice and we may of just got one back for the little man!