• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PastDue Credit Chasing me for Scottish Power debt not mine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago (23rd December actually) we received 2 letters from PastDue Credit Solutions.

The letters had my name and address on them and some account numbers and references I know nothing about.

Their client was also printed on there as ScottishPower Energy Retail Ltd who we have never used..

Here is the detail of the letters for reference, I have typed it all as I think its important to see how these agencies behave. :mad2:

IMPORTANT MATTER THAT MAY AFFECT YOUR CREDIT RATING

Dear Mr/Ms BubbleGuppie....

Supply Address (Our previous rented address was printed here..)

We have been appointed by ScottishPower Energy Retail Ltd to recover the above outstanding amount.

To avoid any possibility of further action, we strongly urge you to repay the amount outstanding by 2nd January 2015.

You can repay using any of the methods listed on the reverse of this letter. (You can guess whats printed there :))

If you are having difficulty making payment or you wish to discuss this matter, please call a Customer Service Consultant today on.

.... We will be able to offer you an affordable repayment plan that reflects your current financial circumstance.

This may impact your credit rating

Non-payment of the full outstanding balance may result in Scottish Power registering a default with Credit Reference Agencies.

If Scottish Power decides to register or have already registered a default it will have an impact on your credit rating.

In order to ensure Scottish Power do not adversely affect your credit rating (if they have not already) you have the following options;

1) Pay the balance of £411 in full immediately

2) Pay £100 and setup an instalment plan to pay the remaining £300

For and behalf of,

PastDue Credit Solutions

the letters stated that I owed 2 amounts of rather large sums of money..

Letter1 Amount - £400

Letter2 Amount - £250

Wow, that's £650 we apparently owe to some agency chasing a debt from an energy supplier we were never with.

(We have been with NPower for years, EDF before that!)

I called Scottish Power who asked me some questions,

realised that the debt was actually for whoever lived there back in 2011 (not us) and appologised.

They assured me that they would correct this in their 'back office'

d that I would receive a letter from them (not PastDue).

they advised I tell PastDue this also to stave off their rapid advances of assumption to which I called them up.

I explained the situation to some dude on the phone, he asked for some details,

I explained that the debt was not mine and that Scottish Power will 'sort it out'

he just said he will put the account on hold for 1 week to see Scottish Power cancel with them.

This never happened and we then received another 2 letters on 08th January 2015..

Here is the content of the letters.. (sigh...) :-x:mad2:

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER

Dear Mr/Ms BubbleGuppie..

You have still not paid off the above debt. Unfortunately this means that we may recommend to our client that they should issue a claim against you in court.

What this means should the claim be successful?

You may owe more as the amount may then include legal costs and/or interest

You may have difficulty obtaining credit, a loan or a mortgage in the future.

To avoid any possibility of further action, we strongly urge you to repay the amount outstanding by 18 January 2015.

You can pay using any of the methods listed on the reverse of this letter. (usual credit card, address details etc..)

If you are having difficulty making payment or you wish to discuss this matter, please call a Customer Service Consultant today on 0141 951 2345.

We will be able to offer you an affordable repayment plan that reflects your your current financial circumstance.

If you are experiencing serious financial difficulty it may be in your best interests to contact an organisation that offers free debt advice.

Companies such as National Debtline (.......), Step Change (......) or your local Citizen Advice Bureau will not charge you for their services.

Please let us know as soon as possible should this be the best course of action for you.

For and on behalf of

Pastdue Credit Solutions

So as you can see and imagine, we had enough of this now.

We were being what seemed bullied by this agency for a debt we never owed.

I had a look on a few forums and I sent them a reply using recorded delivery. Here it is..

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No’s:

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Scottish Power

I am familiar with the Consumer Credit sourcebook of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) which states the following rules.

"A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed

and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification

and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid." 7.5.3

"A firm must suspend any steps it takes or its agent takes in the recovery of a debt from a customer

where the customer disputes the debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds." 7.14.1

"Where a customer disputes a debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds,

the firm must investigate the dispute and provide details of the debt to the customer in a timely manner." 7.14.3

In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed

and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless

you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department

and consider informing the FCA of your actions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Mr/Ms BubbleGuppie

A week or so passes by and we then get this letter from them on 19/01/2015

Dear Sir

I write in response to your recent correspondence. I understand that you are in dispute over the aforementioned account.

Before we can make contact with our client, we require more details on your dispute. Our operating ours are ....

Yours Sincerely

Admin Assistant

for and on behalf of

PastDue Credit Solutions

So now we are not sure what we should do now?

Should we call them?

Ignore them?

What?

Can someone please advise on this?

Sorry for the large post,

but I needed you to see whats been going on.

Its been quite a ride as you can see and to be honest it makes me sad that Britain has become like this :(

with sharks trying whatever they can to get money out of people who don't owe it.

Advice please!

ignore them.

PDC are a DCA

DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

theres nowt any DCA can do to you for a util bills debt

somehow you got on a phishing list

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The first letters you received are simply two of Past Due's basic three bog standard threat chain. If you think they are bad you should see some of the other companies. You should not have entertained them with a response. It encourages them. Deal only with S P. Didn't you get back to them after their undertaking to correct apparently failed to materialise?

I'm afraid that I would not ignore them. These are the kind of errors which never gets settled properly unless you take proper action. You may think that the problem has gone away but a year or two or several years later you may suddenly find that you are being denied credit because unknown to you your name has gone on to the credit reference agencies files.

Have you checked your credit report recently? I think that you should do.

Your letter to them is very competent. Congratulations on having found out about the CONC rules.

If you want to take a little trouble, to deliver a slap and also get a little compensation money, I would threaten Scottish Power and also PastDue with a little legal action in the Small Claims Court.

I would sue them together as first and second defendant. I would sue Scottish Power for breach of the Data Protection Act for inaccurate recording of your personal data and I would sue PastDue for breach of the CONC rules. If you have a look at the transitional provisions of CONC, you will see that there is a right of direct action.

I would sue Scottish Power for about £200 and I would sue past you for about £100.

I can scarcely imagine that either would want to go to court and that they would settle. However, if they did want to go to court then I would expect they would lose because they are clearly in the frame here.

You can be certain that at the end of the process whether they settle or not they would put their files in order. It would also deliver a good slap to a debt collection agency that is clearly not paying attention and which thinks that it can carry on a sloppy collection process and get away with it.

I'm quite sure that neither of these organisations have been sued for this kind of thing before. I'm quite sure that nobody has yet sue any debt collection agency for breach of CONC. It would act as a great encouragement to others on this forum and of course it would send a little message to the industry.

If you wanted to go down this route then we would help you.

Npower are not regulated by the FCA. They are "regulated" by the energy regulator who is frit.

A small claim is the only way - but no one seems to want to do it.

Thanks for all the replies on this I really appreciate it :)

@BankFodder thanks for the information, I have checked my credit report and I can see that its ok, there is nothing bad on there (well not yet..)

I think I will pursue this matter further to send a clear message (sorry to sound like a politician, I cant stand them to be honest), if I can be successful at pursuing this then I hope others will also follow in this line of action.

At least either way we can see how it will go.

Please let me know how I can pursue this further.

Thanks

Sorry if my previous response implied that Past Due should not be taken to task. I fully agree that they should, for the reasons stated. What I meant was not to answer their begging / threat letters. I personally would have concentrated my efforts on S P as the first priority and then dealt with Past Due's indiscretions.

The usual response of DCAs and debt purchasers when challenged on fundamental irregularities in accounts is that they received their information in good faith. Well there's no goodness about it at all, just a brash belief that they can get away with anything, regardless.

There has been an obligation since long before conc to verify the credentials and history of accounts assigned or sent for collection from third parties. However, evidence of compliance with this obligation has been almost non- existent. [Oh and for anyone reading this who has received a notice of assignment from Lowell implying otherwise, don't believe a word of it. All their "we have checked" means is that the assignor vouched that the portfolio would not include statute barred accounts.]

If enough people warn harassing DCAs of specific court action over incorrect / irregular personal information processing, they might learn. Pavlovian conditioning - dogs, rats and all that .

Good news that there is nothing on your credit file. However, if I were you I would keep a regular watch on it until you are sure that the matter is settled. Credit file entries can be placed any time without any warning or notice to you – and the first thing that you realise is when you are refused credit for some reason rather.

Pastdue have got a damn cheek asking you to explain yourself. You owe the no duties. You have already put them on notice that no money is owed and that there is a dispute. It is now for them to go to their client and are sorted out at that end. By continuing to contact you about this they are breaking the CONC regulations.

I would suggest that you write to PastDue and tell them that you have no intention of providing them with any information at all. You have put them on notice and it is now up to them to sorted out with their client.

I think that you should remind them that you originally contacted them and inform them about the error and about the dispute by telephone on the XXX date XXX and that despite this, they have ignored the information contrary to CONC and that they have sent you further correspondence on the matter which is also contrary to CONC.

Tell them that you will be suing their client and that if they, Pastdue, do not confirm to you in writing within 14 days that they have ceased all collection activity against you and that all personal data relating to you has been deleted from the files, that you will include them as a second defendant in the action and that you will sue them for breach of their FCA statutory duty and also for breach of the Data Protection Act.

I would send a letter to ScottishPower and put them on notice that as you have contacted them by telephone and by letter over a period of time about an alleged debt which you know nothing about, and you have ever been a client ScottishPower, and despite their promises they have continued to chase you and have now instructed a debt collection agency, that you will sue them in 14 days unless they confirm to you in writing that they have cancelled all debt collection activity and that they have corrected their files and that any personal data relating to you has been deleted.

Tell them also that in view of the time and trouble they have caused you dealing with them and their debt collection agency that you require that they make a compensatory payment of £100.

Tell them that if your request is not satisfied in full then you will sue them in the County Court. Tell them that you have already informed the debt collection agency that they will be joined as second defendants in the same action.

Only make the threats if you're prepared to go ahead with them. If you feel that your asking for too much then modify the letters. If you feel that you're not asking for enough then modify the letters.

I'm afraid that I tend to take these matters very seriously and I think a very aggressive approach is needed. We have a great many stories on this forum of people who have been the subject of mistaken identity who think that they cleared the matter up but the problem is that the data is never fully deleted from their files and years later it jumps up and bites them on the bum.

Also, the reason that companies like ScottishPower and PastDue are so slack in their systems, is because they always get away with it – because nobody ever bothers to make some seriously disruptive trouble for them.

You may think that my approach is using a hammer to crack a nut, but I am not only trying to help you solve your problem, but I'm trying at the same time to lay down markers for these kinds of organisations which maybe will help a great many other people in the future.

Let us know what you want to do. I think that you could easily claim £50 from PastDue and probably £100 or a bit more from ScottishPower.

Frankly I don't think either of them would want to go to court on this. They would lose. It would cost them far more than it's worth and I expect that delivery of the court papers will see a transformation in their attitude and that they will sorted out and pay you off. Of course I could be wrong.

By the way, in case you have any further dealings with them on the phone, please read our customer services guide.

• 1 month later...

Oh my... well everyone I have received yet another lovely letter from PastDue (sigh)

Here it is in all its glory..

URGENT ATTENTION REQUIRED

Dear BubbleGuppie..

It has come to our attention that your account is now OVERDUE and this letter is a demand for payment. We have, as yet, received no payment towards this account or contact explaining the failure to make payments. If there is a reason why these payments have been withheld or unable to be made, we would be obliged if you could contact us in order to either explain the reason or come to some form of payment arrangement.

If we do not hear from you by 13 March 2015 we will have no alternative than to commence with further debt collection procedures. This action can be avoided by either settling the outstanding amount immediately or contacting us to discuss your circumstances or to agree a suitable payment arrangement. Payment can be made using the methods listed on the reverse of the letter..

If you are having difficulty making payment or you wish to discuss this matter, please call a Customer Service Consultant today on ....... We will be able to offer you an affordable repayment plan that reflects your current financial circumstance.

If you are experiencing serious financial difficulty it may be in your best interests to contact an organisation that offers free debt advice.

Companies such as the National Debtline ........., Step Change ......... or your local CAB will not charge you for their services, Please let us know as soon as possible should this be the best course of action for you.

For and on behalf of,

Past due Credit Solutions...

So I am not too happy about this. Once again after a few weeks another wholesome letter from a bunch of airheads...

My options as I see them are

1) Ignore it totally now

2) Ignore and complain to FCA

3) Reply advising that they are harassing me for a debt I simply don't owe or own.

Let me know your thoughts people!

Theyre threatograms. ignore past due. Even if you put them straight with proof, they will ignore you and treat it as if you never replied.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Did you write to them already - or did you ignore them last time?

• 3 weeks later...

Well sorry to say, I think that that is the wrong approach. I think that you should lay down a paper trail – especially as there is no debt and so you have nothing to hide.

If everybody is put on notice and they do nothing about it that they keep on your case, then they are opening themselves up for a good claim against them and some compensation.

Ok so now we have another letter from these clowns (you wont believe this..)

SETTLEMENT OFFER

Dear Mr BubbleGuppie,

Despite our repeated requests, you have not paid the outstanding amount.

We really do want to settle this matter. As a gesture of goodwill, we have been authorised by ScottishPower Energy Retail Ltd to offer you a reduced settlement of £200.00 if you arrange to pay this amount in full before 29 March 2015.

If you do not contact us and make an arrangement to pay, this offer will become void and we will continue to contact you to recover the full outstanding amount.

Details about how you can pay are listed on the reverse of this letter.

I wont bore you with the rest of it as its the usual tripe of help and support..

I am going to ignore this one also.

What I cant understand is that despite me warning them with my legal letter they still carry on?

So to sum up here is the chain of letters received (for anyone interested..)

23rd December - PD First letter (Important matter that may affect your credit rating..)

08th January - PD Second letter (Please do not ignore this letter..)

13th January - I send them a strong letter - see above in previous post. (telling them where to go..)

19th January - PD Third letter - (asking to contact them based on my letter to 'resolve' the matter)

03rd March - PD 4th letter - (Urgent Action Required)

19th March - PD 5th letter - (Settlement Offer)

Please let me know if I can take this matter further?

Well sorry to say, I think that that is the wrong approach. I think that you should lay down a paper trail – especially as there is no debt and so you have nothing to hide.

If everybody is put on notice and they do nothing about it that they keep on your case, then they are opening themselves up for a good claim against them and some compensation.

I have written to them already as above, I am not sure now what else to write? Let me know what else I can write :)

I think that you have to decide if you're prepared to take a legal action against ScottishPower.

If you are not sure then have a look at our small claims advice and also our advice about County Court actions.

It's not difficult and your chances of success are much better than 95%.

Because you have no contract with them at all, you can't sue them for mismanagement of your account. Instead you would Sue them simply for breach of the Data Protection Act. You be able to sue them for any actual losses you have suffered and also because of distress that you might have suffered. I would keep the figure quite moderate – maybe £200-£300. I can't remember whether they have put anything on your credit file. If they have then I would be looking at trying for 1000 – unless you can say that this is hurt your ability to get credit in some way.

I would also consider suing the debt collection agency as well – but to do this you would have to put them on notice that they are chasing you for an erroneous matter.

I would send them each a subject access request – and in the meantime also put Pastdue credit on notice and tell them that they must cease any further collection activities and that if not that they will find themselves joined as defendants to a Data Protection Act breach action alongside their client.

Tell them that you want confirmation in writing that they have returned the file and that debt collection activities are at an end. Tell them that if they fail to do that then they will definitely be included as co-defendants.

In terms of ScottishPower, I would send them an SAR. During the 40 days of have to wait I would keep a tight log of everything that happened. I would try to engage them on the telephone making sure that the calls are recorded so that I would be gathering evidence. At the end of the 40 days I would have a look at the disclosure that they had made to see if it gave me any additional help.

If they failed to make the disclosure then I would simply issue the claim and include the SAR breach alongside the rest of the complaint.

I'm quite sure that once the court was involved, that ScottishPower was start to smarten up.

It's easy money and it would put an end to it all. I see no reason at all not to go ahead – but you know your priorities better than I do.

I think that you have to decide if you're prepared to take a legal action against ScottishPower.

If you are not sure then have a look at our small claims advice and also our advice about County Court actions.

It's not difficult and your chances of success are much better than 95%.

Because you have no contract with them at all, you can't sue them for mismanagement of your account. Instead you would Sue them simply for breach of the Data Protection Act. You be able to sue them for any actual losses you have suffered and also because of distress that you might have suffered. I would keep the figure quite moderate – maybe £200-£300. I can't remember whether they have put anything on your credit file. If they have then I would be looking at trying for 1000 – unless you can say that this is hurt your ability to get credit in some way.

I would also consider suing the debt collection agency as well – but to do this you would have to put them on notice that they are chasing you for an erroneous matter.

I would send them each a subject access request – and in the meantime also put Pastdue credit on notice and tell them that they must cease any further collection activities and that if not that they will find themselves joined as defendants to a Data Protection Act breach action alongside their client.

Tell them that you want confirmation in writing that they have returned the file and that debt collection activities are at an end. Tell them that if they fail to do that then they will definitely be included as co-defendants.

In terms of ScottishPower, I would send them an SAR. During the 40 days of have to wait I would keep a tight log of everything that happened. I would try to engage them on the telephone making sure that the calls are recorded so that I would be gathering evidence. At the end of the 40 days I would have a look at the disclosure that they had made to see if it gave me any additional help.

If they failed to make the disclosure then I would simply issue the claim and include the SAR breach alongside the rest of the complaint.

I'm quite sure that once the court was involved, that ScottishPower was start to smarten up.

It's easy money and it would put an end to it all. I see no reason at all not to go ahead – but you know your priorities better than I do.

Thanks for the reply, I am ready for action!

I will PM you

Well keep us informed and let us know when you get the extra information from the statutory disclosures.