Halfords overfilled engine oil then bodged repair then denied liability! Legal action starting! HELP needed!**SUCCESS**

Brownguy53
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is the time to start scanning every letter, email, document, invoice related to this case into a folder on your computer along with copies of the relevent case law etc you will be relying on.

Basically start building your bundle electronically so as not to leave it to the last minute

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi well i got halfords directions today and they ticked mediation..so did I. So I understand that from that it means mediation is next? Weirdy i rang MCOL to confirm mediation is the next step and they told me that mediation will be 'considered' and a judge will see if its suitable? Is that right?

SabreSheep I already have quite a lot of paperwork although it need filing I shall do that..in terms of evidence on my pc and a folder etc thats already done too.

Steampowered, I already made Halfords prior to court two offers, would a settlement really be something they'd consider? Considering they are using a solicitor ?

A wise person on the forum has already advised me of something i didn't consider with but now in thought think is a key thing..If mediation goes ahead I would want it to be with Halfords directly and not their legal representation. Could i perhaps write to the court and request this..just the woman said to me apparently you can email MCOL now in regards to a claim?

:jaw:

You never speak to the other party anyway. The mediator speaks to each party individually and relays information between the two.

The mediation would be between me and Halfords lawyers though wouldn't it?

Am not interested in being dominated by their lawyers so I've got mediation instructions on hand anyway. So far am waiting to hear back from the courts about mediation as I'm told I'll get a phone call.

I'm not sure you'd be able to force them (Halfords) to speak directly to be honest. They do have a right to be represented.

What I'm trying to say is regardless, you never communicate directly with the other party. The mediator will call you one at a time and pass information to you, in the aim of reaching a settlement. You won't be dominated by anyone.

I shouldn't worry about it and instead focus your efforts on getting your files in order - that's more important.

I'm not sure you'd be able to force them (Halfords) to speak directly to be honest. They do have a right to be represented.

What I'm trying to say is regardless, you never communicate directly with the other party. The mediator will call you one at a time and pass information to you, in the aim of reaching a settlement. You won't be dominated by anyone.

I shouldn't worry about it and instead focus your efforts on getting your files in order - that's more important.

Although I have agreed to mediation, I am a litigant in person and I shall point out I am happy to try and resolve this matter by mediation but not through the defendants legal representatives. I am going to let the courts know this when mediation contact me and Halfords Legal representatives are experienced legal professionals and there job will quite naturally be to secure every advantage they can for the claimant even if it disadvantages me.

I do not wish to be dominated by the lawyers...

I am only interested in attempting to achieve a mediated settlement if the mediation is conducted with Halfords own personnel, so that we are on a reasonably equal footing and so that we both wish to achieve a fair outcome.

I do not believe that legal professionals are able to do this.

Therefore as per my directions questionnaire I agree to mediation but on this term due to these reasons, thats exactly what I am saying and what I am going to tell mediation, quite simply.

Although I have agreed to mediation, I am a litigant in person and I shall point out I am happy to try and resolve this matter by mediation but not through the defendants legal representatives. I am going to let the courts know this when mediation contact me and Halfords Legal representatives are experienced legal professionals and there job will quite naturally be to secure every advantage they can for the claimant even if it disadvantages me.

I do not wish to be dominated by the lawyers...

I am only interested in attempting to achieve a mediated settlement if the mediation is conducted with Halfords own personnel, so that we are on a reasonably equal footing and so that we both wish to achieve a fair outcome.

I do not believe that legal professionals are able to do this.

Therefore as per my directions questionnaire I agree to mediation but on this term due to these reasons, thats exactly what I am saying and what I am going to tell mediation, quite simply.

Unfortunately you are going to be disappointed then.

It is very standard for legal advisers to be involved in mediation. That's just how it works. In theory at least, part of the purpose of mediation is to ensure that both sides understand the legal arguments being made by the other.

There are no "advantages" to be secured during mediation. Anything discussed during mediation is covered by "without prejudice" privilege which means that it can't be used in court. The court shouldn't hear about anything that is discussed during mediation unless a settlement is agreed.

In order to prepare for mediation you simply need to know what figure you want to go in with, and what minimum figure you are prepared to settle for. I don't think much else matters.

It is very standard for legal advisers to be involved in mediation. That's just how it works. In theory at least, part of the purpose of mediation is to ensure that both sides understand the legal arguments being made by the other.

There are no "advantages" to be secured during mediation. Anything discussed during mediation is covered by "without prejudice" privilege which means that it can't be used in court. The court shouldn't hear about anything that is discussed during mediation unless a settlement is agreed.

In order to prepare for mediation you simply need to know what figure you want to go in with, and what minimum figure you are prepared to settle for. I don't think much else matters.

I totally understand what everyones saying..but I'm a litigant in person. What legal training or background do I have as to their lawyers, who are a firm rated in the top 100? Without sounding big headed am not taking them to court to prove who has more legal knowledge..what legal representation or advice do I have but myself? Its not level footed at all..I'm here because they broke legal laws and breached their duty of care. All their lawyer is there is to do a job and thats advantage them to get them out of the situation..this is why I refuse to enter into mediation with their lawyers who are not the claimants and do not know the full situation..and why I will only enter mediation with Halfords, if the judge decides for that reason I lose the case thats fair enough but I will argue it. I also think mediation for Halfords is just a simple way for Halfords to see what evidence I have and I won't be disclosing it until I have to as I have loads.

In terms of a figure, I've offered Halfords and their store the opportunity twice to pay lesser costs, but as they refused/ignored my requests my mitigation offer will be the same minus court interest..thats it.

The other side shall attempt to test your claim.

It may help to have to hand answers to their defence.

Also handy would be copies of legislation you will be referring to.

The mediator will test your resolve as well.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I took a bank to court (well 2 actually) it was me as litigant in person vs top of the line legal people.

One of them went to mediation. with me. Everything they threw at me, I rebutted. Even though during the mediation there was no settlement, it allowed me to show my resolve and that I knew what I was talking about.

There should be no fear regarding disclosure. It will be disclosed anyway.

The court process should be open and transparent.

As for your figure, sounds reasonable to me.

Personally I would enter into mediation to show goodwill. You have a very strong case, it would be a shame to cost this over a "point2

I took a bank to court (well 2 actually) it was me as litigant in person vs top of the line legal people.

One of them went to mediation. with me. Everything they threw at me, I rebutted. Even though during the mediation there was no settlement, it allowed me to show my resolve and that I knew what I was talking about.

There should be no fear regarding disclosure. It will be disclosed anyway.

The court process should be open and transparent.

As for your figure, sounds reasonable to me.

Personally I would enter into mediation to show goodwill. You have a very strong case, it would be a shame to cost this over a "point2

Well my reason I will not lessen a settlement amount is because as I said I have proof of recorded delivery of 3 prior offers. First the offer of just my expenses while the repair happened. They ignored this. Then before I send them the pre-notice to court I sent the store AND head office at halfords via recorded delivery a offer to repay my expenses+repair or repair the car..again it was ignored and refused..so they've had more than enough opportunities to lessen their costs.

Its Halfords's negligence and bad atttude/customer services that have led to the amount totalling this amount.

I see what point you all have about entering into mediation but I wrote a 'reply to defence' to Halfords and the court anyway next to my directions, so really again I don't see what mediation can bring.

I'll give it a think anyway and see..i'm sure mediation are going to contact me soon anyway..does anyone know how long on general it takes them to sort out mediation?

you wont lose a case re refusing mediation (yr post 136). but, it may sometimes become an issue re costs should the claim be lost eg them saying was unreasonable not to try mediation and so want costs, even if small claims. thats one reason why its usually normal practice to agree to and try it, even if think will be of no avail.

your call though.

afaik, the min stay for mediation is around 28 days if it continues?

you wont lose a case re refusing mediation (yr post 136). but, it may sometimes become an issue re costs should the claim be lost eg them saying was unreasonable not to try mediation and so want costs, even if small claims. thats one reason why its usually normal practice to agree to and try it, even if think will be of no avail.

your call though.

afaik, the min stay for mediation is around 28 days if it continues?

so mediation takes 28 days?

depends what happens. if from the first call its a no go, mediation will tell the court so, then will proceed to the next stage fairly directly, not 28 days.

the 28 is just a std if ongoing and stayed

Hmm okay. Well am going to go with my gut, thanks for the advice on here about mediation. As I know Halfords are watching this thread I will update you all with what happened AFTER the matters finalised as I don't want to unfairly disadvantage myself by posting it here.

On a final note, just so that I am fully prepared..I've tried searching CAG for some template settlement letters..you know as someone before said perhaps you could offer them a settlement but can't find any? Also in terms of my court bundle is there any advice/layout you guys would advice? Let me know thanks, as I said this is just for my preparation and I will not be doing any of the above or last posts but want to be fully prepared for everything..of all scenarios..

Seen this type case before in the past, only lesson was that as a DJ stated to a BMW main dealer in front of him, that he was lucky the case was below threshold limit as the case would of cost them a hell of a lot more, this was a case of a oil plug fitted to the sump loose and car picked up from Major (expensive service) and trouble started only 1.5. miles later on returning home of the owners wife, they even tried to a silly argument using a Castrol representative stating that the engine oil used would of what ever?????????????????????????//

So Halfords you are only small fry to the truth, and DJ s etc will see thru you, wonder about your shareholders would say for your possible actions and possibly loosing big time.????

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Seen this type case before in the past, only lesson was that as a DJ stated to a BMW main dealer in front of him, that he was lucky the case was below threshold limit as the case would of cost them a hell of a lot more, this was a case of a oil plug fitted to the sump loose and car picked up from Major (expensive service) and trouble started only 1.5. miles later on returning home of the owners wife, they even tried to a silly argument using a Castrol representative stating that the engine oil used would of what ever?????????????????????????//

So Halfords you are only small fry to the truth, and DJ s etc will see thru you, wonder about your shareholders would say for your possible actions and possibly loosing big time.????

Wow..thats really interesting! Yeah Halfords intend on using a 'experience vehicle maintaince' expert as a witness (was in their directions) so assume they'll try do the same. No issue to me lol..they haven't specified who

Have they actually put that in the expert witness bit of the directions questionnaire?

Any expert witnesses need to remain totally independent - they shouldn't be using one of their engineers or anything like that.

Have they actually put that in the expert witness bit of the directions questionnaire?

Any expert witnesses need to remain totally independent - they shouldn't be using one of their engineers or anything like that.

nope i think the op put that they have just put exactly what i said they're going to call upon a technical expert of vehicle maintence..im told by the OP aa and rac won't get involved in these things..so dot know who they'll use..OP can you eleborate?

Either way I'm surprised Halfords won't go into settlement after they see the disclosure of your evidence..

Hmm okay. Well am going to go with my gut, thanks for the advice on here about mediation. As I know Halfords are watching this thread I will update you all with what happened AFTER the matters finalised as I don't want to unfairly disadvantage myself by posting it here.

On a final note, just so that I am fully prepared..I've tried searching CAG for some template settlement letters..you know as someone before said perhaps you could offer them a settlement but can't find any? Also in terms of my court bundle is there any advice/layout you guys would advice? Let me know thanks, as I said this is just for my preparation and I will not be doing any of the above or last posts but want to be fully prepared for everything..of all scenarios..

ok :)

re templates, not sure, check the cag library. ensure though any letter is without prejudice/admissions.

re bundle etc, i think maybe there is a sticky thread or the like re preparing for court?

Brownguy, would you please check your inbox for messages from Site team, please.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Done :).

Just to confirm my prior posts

(1) I am not stating or asking people that I am going into a settlement with Halfords, as my case is not weak in anyway. I am however keeping all my options open and as I am open to mediation with Halfords directly want to be prepared for evertyhing thus asking for template letters for personal back up/preparation.