• Tweets

• No I have not. I will probably do that
    • Based on ECP's previous, what will definitely happen is this. They will send more idiotic letters. After they will send a Letter of Claim, and it is essential that your brother replies at this point to this to show them he would be big trouble in court. Next it is highly likely (but not certain) that they will crawl back under their stone and that will be the end of the matter. The slight worry is that if they do do court it will seem a likely story to a judge that your brother has no connection to the ticket, when it was him who appealed and replied to the Letter of Claim.  Indeed I think it would seem the lot of you were playing games with ECP and with the court by getting unconnected people involved and then later deny they were involved. So be aware there is that slight risk. You talked about "a mess" in your first post, and you weren't wrong. Someone hires a car and gets a ticket.  There is an appeal.  Who appeals, the hirer?  No, the hirer's mate's son.  Obvious! There is an approach for help to a consumer website.  By the hirer?  No, by the hirer's mate's son's brother! This is so damn silly and totally avoidable. Anyway, it seems the decision has been made for your brother to carry the can so whatever consequences will ensue will ensue. 
    • Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capital2coast PCN Lewes - Clamform received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I too got a remote sensed ticket from this bunch for an alleged offence on 28 November 2014 at the same spot and the letter FCN was issued 23/12/2014. No ticket was issued at the time

We moved house so didn't get it until early January and the photograph places me mid manoeuvre at the side of Laura Ashley as I dropped my wife off to pick up something for her Mum.

I appealed the ticket thinking they were a bunch of chancers but I note in retrospect that their online appeal form has a check box for registered keeper or driver and I don't know which one was ticked.

We recently had a reply to our appeal dismissing it and showing other pictures of our 'offence' and they put the charge up to £100.00.

Are we able to send the following letter to get them off our backs?

' As Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012 has not been followed, then as registered keeper I am not liable for the charge.

Address all further correspondence to the driver of the vehicle at the time of event.

I am under no obligation to name the driver of the vehicle at the time of event.

No further correspondence will be entered into.

This has been sent with proof of postage. '

Get free proof of postage from post office and ignore all further begging letters you will receive..

Many thanks

TB

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ericsbrother, do you mean an accredited trade association? I know IPS isn't accredited but its an association.

I take it that also means I cannot cite the POFA argument?

Does anyone know about the parent company one parking ltd, seems the director of that has fingers in many parking pies.

thanks

Hi Ericsbrother and all,

Thanks for your posts, I know you saw my thread on MSE but that's not letting me log in now for some reason.

I popped back to the scene of the alleged parking incident and they have put up loads of signs now which are more noticeable than before.

However, just reading some other threads,

the offence allegedly took place on 28/11/2014 and the FCN addressed to my wife

(so they went straight to DVLA & no ticket issued at the time)

& not just the keeper was issued 23 December 2014.

Is this inside or outside the guidelines please,

I saw one that said 12 days plus a days postage time either side of it so 14 days

and another that was 29 to 59 days.

Also and I may be repeating myself,

we got the original letter and followed their appeal guidelines and appealed via their website,

I am concerned that it has led me to unknowingly incriminate myself along with appealing immediately

when this wasn't necessary due to timescale guidleines.

Many thanks

TB

For an ANPR system it is 14 days after the day of the alleged event to get the letter to you.

It must be issued within 12 days and 2 days are allowed for service.

Therfore their NTK is timed out and they can aonly claim from the driver at the time

and they dont know who that was and no-one has to tell them.

If a ticket is slapped on the windscreen they have to allow 28 days for the driver to own up and then they can issue a NTK

and give them 28 days to pay up or appeal.

Again there is the service time so the keeper has to receive the notice between 29 and 56 days after the date of the event.

Before or after those times and the notice is non-compliant and therefore no keeper liability.

You have identified yourself as driver so they can claim from you but they can never claim form the keeper becuase

1) they are not a member of an ATA and

2) the NTK was non-compliant.

As they are ot a member of the BPA or IPC you cannot use the appeals process so they have to take you to court.

You can then argue that your appeal wasnt considered properly and they will lose.

However, that is not the only argument I would use.

Hi Ericsbrother,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and so quickly, much appreciated. Is the NTK an NTK even when it is addressed to the registered keeper or in the event they don't know the name of the keeper? Due to the nature of their appeal form, im not sure what we put but possibly responded in my wifes name as the letter was addressed to her, we certainly supplied them with her email address - iknow, I know!

Does that mean that they don't have a case as they issued too late, should we word something to them and say that?

Thanks again

TB

they didnt send the letter in 14 days.

That is the end of it now stop trying to confuse the driver with the keeper

and thus confusing anyone else who is trying to follow this thread.

their claim is going nowhere so just forget about it.

Dont bother writing to them to point out their mistakes because they wont want to hear it.

Hi Nev met & Erics Brother,

Thanks both for the advice and comments:

EB - OK, I will !!

NM - No I cannot see any reference to the keeper being liable on either original letter or subsequent appeal refusal (but ill double check original email on this)

thanks

TB

Nev, I like your thinking but will the DVLA ever admit they are wrong in handing over the info or sanction C2C for telling porkies?

It isn't so much to do with them being right or wrong. The generally held belief is that the only way that you can chase the Keeper is under PoFA. Therefore, irrespective of whether you actually mention PoFA, if you threaten the Keeper then you must be doing so under PoFA - that's the rationale.

Under PoFA one of the requirements is that the creditor (or creditor's agent) made an application to the SoS for the RK data and that the RK data was supplied by the SoS (SoS's agent being the DVLA of course). It must also be a separate request for each NtK. It follows therefore that if such an application wasn't actually made (and there are plenty of PPCs who like to recycle RK data or use company information from the livery of the vehicle etc) then they cannot seek to recover the alleged debt from the Keeper.

It is entirely reasonable therefore for every single RK who receives a NtK which either claims under PoFA or otherwise suggests keeper liability (in one form or another) to enquire of the DVLA whether or not the statutory requirement of paragraph 11 of PoFA was complied with.

Something along the lines of:-

The Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012 –

Paragraph 11

Name

Address

Date

Dear Sir,

As DVLA records will confirm, I am the registered keeper of a motor vehicle registration number................................

I recently received a postal Parking Charge Notice demand for a payment from a Private Parking Company.

The Notice makes reference to Sch 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (‘PoFA’) and ‘keeper liability’.

I understand that Paragraph 11 of PoFA makes it a statutory requirement for the creditor (or a person acting for or on behalf of the creditor) to have made an application for the keeper’s details to the Secretary of State

I therefore require the DVLA, acting on behalf of the SoS, to provide the following information.

1) Confirmation (or otherwise) that my data was requested and supplied in accordance with that statutory requirement.

2) The full details of the name and address of the requestor

3) The date of the request

4) The date that my personal details were given

5) The date of the alleged contravention specified by the requestor

6) The details of the alleged parking contravention.

7) The location of the alleged parking contravention

Regards

Registered Keeper

(DVLA email address for this enquiry [email protected])

Ok thanks Nev, this is the first ticket we have had on this car and first run in with C2C so no recycling of data internally or are you thinking they might have used another resource and not DVLA?

Thanks again for all your interest and support

TB

Ok thanks Nev, this is the first ticket we have had on this car and first run in with C2C so no recycling of data internally or are you thinking they might have used another resource and not DVLA?

Thanks again for all your interest and support

TB

I'm not really trying to second guess anything, there's no need to when the DVLA are patiently sitting there drumming their fingers and awaiting your enquiry so that they can tell you exactly what's gone on behind the scenes.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well.

Sorry for the delay, we appealed to the ICS and quelle surpise they have rejected the appeal again.

I'm happy to wait and see what happens but my wife would rather close the chapter and pay the fine.

Apparently we need to pay by today but is the fact that they issued their PCN notice late enough for things to be thrown out.

My wife has been corresponding with Gavin but hasn't disclosed who the driver was,

is this admissible evidence by the way as the driver was called Davy Jones or that is what he told me!.

What was the outcomer of the test case by the way that happened a couple of weeks ago, did the man win or something else.

Thanks for your attention once again, apologies if I am repeating things but rushed off feet.

Besat regards

TB

you don't pay

its not a fine

where does it say the word fine please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Everyone,

Update, I have just been informed that my wife lodged an appeal with IAS which they threw out with various comments but declined to comment on the fact that C2C didn't issue the NTK inside the allocated time frame. I have responded and asked them to reconsider based on this fact.

Is this enough to get the case thrown out should it escalate?

I would appreciate any advice from the collective as don't really want to give in to this daylight robbery. .

Many thanks

TB

IAS are not independent, regardless of what they may claim. They're run by representatives of the IPC, so there's a massive conflict of interest there. Unlike POPLA who are mostly independent, it's not in IAS's interests to allow appeals as it's putting a massive dent in their revenue stream.

After IAS have thrown an appeal out they most likely won't reconsider, as it's not in their best interests to do so.

You can pretty much safely ignore them after this point, as you've done all you can be reasonably expected to do. It's extremely unlikely they'll take you to court.

Hi Cardiff Devil,

Ok thanks for your reply, that's appreciated. im still getting a bit confused with why we cant use POPLA, is it because C2C aren't affiliated to a bona fide prganisation and as a result the only option for them is to progress to court or not bother?

Many thanks

TB

BPA members use POPLA.

IPC members use the IAS.

Both are "supposed" to be independent, one even includes the word in its name. While neither of them are angels, the BPA/POPLA route does appear to be a lot more independent than the other (despite the name).

The use of the words "bona fide" when talking about a PPC, almost any PPC (or one of their "trade bodies") is giving them a lot more kudos than they deserve. Even 'recognised' trade body is stretching it a bit really whistle.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Yes, exactly that. POPLA only adjudicate on appeals concerning parking companies who are members of the BPA. Since C2C are members of IPC, the other "boys club", they have IAS in place of POPLA. One of the provisions of the Protection of Freedoms act was that PPCs needed to be members of an accredited trade body and have an independent appeals process in place.

Hi Everyone,

I referred the PPC to their breach of guidelines by writing after the 14 days for an ANPR notification and that subsequent correspondence would be treated as harassment and got this in response - they don't know who the driver is though by the way:

You are referring to The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012(POFA), this is only if we wish to pursue the charge using POFA and keeper liability but we already know who the driver is and the debt has already been forwarded to a debt recovery specialist with further cots involved.

You will need to deal directly with them from now, I’m sure they will be in touch very soon.

Regards

Admin Department

Capital 2 Coast Parking Management

OK so you may have inadvertently identified yourself as the driver in your initial appeal before you came on here for advice. It's not the end of the world though. Any debt collectors that may contact you have absolutely no special powers whatsoever, no matter how official and scary looking their correspondence may be. They'd have to take you to court first, and with C2C not being a member of any kind of trade body, this is extremely unlikely.

From here on, either ignore anything sent to you from C2C's pet debt collectors, or reply with a simple one-liner saying "The debt is denied, please refer this matter back to your client and do not contact me again." The only thing now that you need to be concerned about is anything headed "Letter before Action" or similar. If you get anything like that, come back here for further advice.