SWT court summons, what to do next? - ** SETTLED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

Thanks for your help

I will take the money with me, it is the majority of my savings but i can afford to live without it and am willing to pay quite a bit if that means i can negotiate a settlement.

I understand obviously that there is no guarantee of acceptance, but as i see it, the only thing i can do is try, i am still a student and it would be a relief if it could be settled.

I will think about what you have said, and will try to offer maybe £350 or £400.

The case is due in court on Thursday morning.

James, I would look at the costs application that SWT have advised that you they intend to make if they are successful in this prosecution

I would consider a starting point of that sum, plus any fares that are claimed and then add a sum that you think might be enough to compensate SWT.

Make this the basis of your request that they accept this as an alternative to completing the prosecution and explain carefully, truthfully and in person how a conviction might affect your future. Let the prosecutor know that you are able to discharge the offer there and then if the case can be stopped.

It might not work because they do have the right to refuse, but it is worth trying.

So just to round this up for anyone interested or in a similar situation etc.

I attended court on Thursday and spoke with the prosecutor, to my relief she produced a copy of an email they had sent me the week before offering a settlement. Stupidly I'd given them an email address I rarely use, although hadnt been looking out for an email anyway.

So the case was adjourned and I have since paid £300 plus they fare and the case has been resolved.

I am very very grateful to the help and guidance I have had on here, so thanks for that.

• Haha 1

Just one more thing

I have received a letter saying that the case has been adjourned until 12th March, due to out of court settlement.

As I have now paid and been told the case is closed, I presume that i do not have to attend court on that date?

I presume that the date is set in case you are unable to pay and having paid I don't need to take any further action.

Could someone just confirm this?

Thanks

Just one more thing

I have received a letter saying that the case has been adjourned until 12th March, due to out of court settlement.

As I have now paid and been told the case is closed, I presume that i do not have to attend court on that date?

I presume that the date is set in case you are unable to pay and having paid I don't need to take any further action.

Could someone just confirm this?

Thanks

Yes, that will undoubtedly be the case. the Magistrates will have allowed an adjournment to consider administrative disposal, if you didn't take that option then the case could proceed. That's quite common

On 12th March I expect that the prosecutor will, if it hasn't been done before by post, withdraw the summons, or if you had entered a plea will 'offer no evidence' and the file will be closed.

You need not attend if you have got your receipt for payment, that is an end of the matter so far as you are concerned.