style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This website has been a lifeline for me over the last few months. I've read avidly and learnt so much from other people's experiences and from the advice posted.

I'm currently managing my "relationship" with Rossendales and have managed to survive this far without too many hiccups.

Empowered by knowledge gained here, I've stood my ground, kept my doors and windows locked, parked my car miles away :),

have sent out the requisite standard letters (found on here) and,

finally, have sent my first payment directly to the Council via online payment completely bypassing Rossendales.

I'm sure Rossendales will discover this fact soon if, indeed, they haven't already.

The computer-generated letters from Rossendales were becoming more and more "assertive"

and despite my advising them in writing that hell would freeze over before they crossed my threshold

and paying them what I thought was a "reasonable and sustainable" amount each month to cover outstanding Council Tax from 2006,

they still insist on demanding "full payment" in contravention of the OFT guidelines.

However, thanks to everyone here, I feel as if I'm back in control of the situation and can sleep nights.

Bailiffs are indeed paperless, powerless tigers - but, unfortunately, like mosquitos they do need to be controlled cos they're pesky!!

Thanks again!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Impecunious,

Your situtation sounds similar to mine, in that my life seems to be a constant drag of dealing with DCAs and bailiffs so I zoomed in on your title as I feel exactly the same. There's no "link" between the two but they can both make your life a misery, but now, thanks to this site, I don't allow them to have so much control.

I suppose I'm saying that this site, and the people on it offering advice and encouragement is a godsend.

Keep going, we'll get there in the end :D

And thanks to all you lovely people who make this site possible.

Eliza

Thank you for your support Eliza!! Much appreciated. I hope you manage to keep head above water!

The DCAs and the Bailiffs are really just a side-show - my main focus is on trying to mitigate the amount of damages in a personal injury claim against me - they're looking at £30,000-£50,000 plus legal costs. Hence my name on here "impecunious" -- modest income, no assets, no insurance cover. Dead in the water really - no hope of ever being able to satisfy any judgment against me but just hoping to survive the ordeal of going to court again.

Thanks again!!

Impecunious! :-)

• 7 months later...

Just a kwickie! Does anyone know how long a Liability Order for unpaid Council Tax is valid for?

I believe that my Liability orders were issued in September 2008.

Thanks - your replies will be interesting.

Impecunious! :)

Just a kwickie! Does anyone know how long a Liability Order for unpaid Council Tax is valid for?

As far as I know as long as the Liabilty Order is obtained before the Statute of Limitations kicks in then there is no time limit at all. If after the SOL is passed then technically they can still go for it but it is advised not to - very rarely does this happen.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no time limit although there have been a number of Ombudsman's ruling if a local authority attempt to pursue recovery after 6 years.

Yours is in date and is enforceable.

Thanks Tomtubby

I thought that was the case!

I am refusing to deal with Rossendales who have had my account for the last 17-18 months (without gaining peaceful entry or levying). I'm waiting for the account to be taken back under council control - NULLA BONA -however, the council are refusing my payment plan. I've tried paying online directly to the council but the reference number is not recognised. I'm continuing to set aside an amount each month to send to the council (for last 7 months).

The council have stated that my repayment plan is unacceptable without even knowing my monthly income and expenditure. Every penny of my monthly salary (and more) is accounted for.

I regularly state to the council that I am a "can't" pay - not a "won't" pay and I feel that, given my financial circumstances, that the amount I set aside is realistic and sustainable and one on which I will not risk defaulting on.

Thanks for your reply.

Hiya - yes - have been trying for the last 7 months to pay them online but the reference number they gave me is not accepted.

I have asked the council on 3 occasions to provide me with the reference number and a copy of the liability order - yesterday, I asked again and gave them 14 days to comply - then FORMAL COMPLAINT to their Chief Exec.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

My account for council tax arrears from 2005-2006 nas been with Rossendales since October 2008. I have refused to deal with them and tried paying the council directly online but system won't recognise the reference number. I have therefore set aside an amount each month since last year to pay the council direct once my account is returned to them by Rossendales.

I have been in correspondence with the council and they have threatened me with an attachment to earnings (they're not happy with my proposed repayment plan) despite the fact that I am more than willing to make regular sustainable and realistic monthly payments on which I am unlikely to default (given my present impecunious circumstances).

I'm just wondering where I go from here.

Thankfully not fluffy bunny - just overwhelmed by debt - massive CCJ in respect of recent "spurious" claim for personal damages in the sum of some £26,000+ - that I could not appeal due to lack of finance.

The claimant's solicitors didn't have the good sense to check my ability to satisfy a claim for personal injuries BEFORE they had judgment in their favour by default. That's no win no fee solicitors for you!

My disposable income after basics and arrears is non-existant.

If they are going for AoE then they are planning a Committal Hearing - this is one of the options open to them at this stage. If it comes to it it will be worth telling the Court of the money you have put aside, you will have to list I & E and ask for a payment plan be put in place by the Court - not AoE. Unfortunately in both scenarios CT is classed as a priority debt and comes before a lot of things.

I'm interested in the other matter you mentioned particularly as you found against with Judgment by Default as this appears to suggest you were missing some paperwork.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

After negotiating all month with the Council, they have finally agreed to take back my A/C for CT arrears that has been with Rossendales for the last 18 months AND with a monthly payment that is both realistic and sustainable. :)

After eight months of paying Rossendales direct, I got fed up with their peristent correspondence campaign, steadily increasing threats for additional payments, removal of goods, commital to prison etc. etc. and tried paying the council online from August 2009. Unfortunately, my reference number wasn't recognised and payment was not accepted. However, since August 2009, I have religiously set-aside the monthly payment until such time as the council agreed to take back my account from Rossies.

I feel I can now breathe again.

I'd like to thank all my fellow CAGgers for their support and for the knowledge gleaned from each of their individual threads. There is life at the tunnel, you just have to be totally dogmatic and focussed and stay positive.

Thanks again.

A wonderful result for you. Don't doubt for one moment you feel as if a large weight has been removed, a very large Nescafe must be called for.

PT

ps For all of the other side watching may be this is a salutory lesson that if you played fair then you may get results!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well done impecunious, [love the name].

A seperate thread for success stories, seanamarts? There's enough now for several volumes... :)

Best wishes.

Rae.

[You haven't seen me, ok?]

Edited by RaeUK
just leaving sandwiches [some heavy on the pickle] and soft drinks as bribes. I can go 24hrs without being here. Honest.

Thanks All

I'm delighted with the result, especially as I do not fall into any of the recognised "vulnerable" categories that are normally referred to here. However, I have an inkling I once saw "overwhelming debt" as being included under vulnerability.

Kelcou: I love the name too but wish it wasn't so! :) Wasn't my fault guv!

Best wishes

• 3 years later...

After moving from JSA into self-employment, my weekly income is just £33 New Enterprise Allowance which supports my new business and that will end in just 6 weeks' time. Until my business develops and establishes itself, it will be a while before I can draw a wage or break even.

I have historic CT arrears and am almost blue in the face trying to make my former council understand that it is only possible, at the moment, to make token payments as a gesture of goodwill until such time as my financial situation improves. They are demanding monthly payments of £30.00 and have sent the "bailiffs warning letter" (not too bothered by that really -- it contains the usual "may" take action, etc. etc and I'm totally up to speed on managing bailiff visits). I have completed the income form the council sent and it is blatantly obvious that a £1/month is actually more than I can realistically afford. (I successfully managed to deal with Rossendales before for this old debt (from 2005-06), had the account returned to the council and negotiated a realistic payment plan.)

I reduced my payments from an affordable £12.00/month whilst I was working, to just £1.00/month when I become unemployed over 14 months ago. (It took the council 10 months to come back to me and tell me that £1/month was unacceptable.) I have repeatedly advised my former Council that my first priority is to keep a roof over my head, pay my current CT liability and my fuel bills as best as I can -- and eat! Despite suffering financial hardship, I have continued to pay £1.00 every month as I am a "can't pay, not a won't pay".

I know these are priority arrears but my main focus is to survive now. I would welcome any input/advice to keep the council off my back for the next 3-6 months! (Really the same goes for energy companies and water company too.)

I'm trying to avoid claiming any more benefits, as I'm perfectly capable of working full time and earning my own living -- I just need some consideration and a little more time.

Exasperated Impecunious!

Can you tell us more about your situation, Are you male/female, single, married, any children. What is your business. This sounds very similar to a situation i was in although i was employed and went self employed, 4 years ago i had CT arrears of over 4k its now just £159 and due to end in April, i cant bloody wait.