Leaving and returning to local authority car park

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If I pay in a p&d car park for all day parking can I leave the car park, say to go out for a meal, and return within the time paid for? A stroppy official told me I can't and tried to make me pay again but didn't ticket me. Can I now expect something through the post?

Hello hightail.

That rationale is crazy. What are you supposed to do, sit in the car park all day. Is this something to do with leaving the site? That's more of a PPC thing though, I know you've posted in the local authority forum.

Did this person take your contact details?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

It's a council, open air pay and display car park. I was visiting friends for the day and paid for the full day. We then decided to take my car and go out for lunch. The car did leave the car park and when we returned there was an official checking cars had paid and displayed. As we walked away the guy noticed we hadn't been over to the ticket machine and called me back. He was also walking towards my car, presumably to issue a penalty. There was a valid proof of payment still good for around seven hours but he said if the car leaves the car park I have to pay again on returning. I didn't, there was nothing on the windscreen when I returned to the car to leave (still two hours in hand). I'm now wondering if I'm going to get a penalty notice through the post.

I would say that if there is no sign to say you cannot leave then you can, after all, you have paid for that time.

I would also think if there are conditions on the sign to say that, that you could also challenge as an unfair term and would be entitled to park at your convenience or get a refund for any time during that day that was not used.

Agreed - the first thing to do is check the terms and conditions on the sign at the car park.

Alternatively, phone the council and ask. If they give you bad news, ask if they will send you a copy of the off-street parking order for that car park. That will contain all the legally binding terms of parking there.

Don't waste your time even if there is a contravention for re-parking unless the idiotic CEO is going to go around and note the position of each vehicle and time they left he's never going to prove the offence. Sometimes there is a clause about not returning within 'x' hours of leaving so just seeing you come back isn't proof you returned within 'x' hours unless he noted you leaving.

There is nothing on the signs to say you can't leave and return. It isn't a manned car park, I just happened to hit a time when an official was checking. As I saw it I had/have valid proof I'd paid for any time I was parked but you start to wonder afterwards.

The official would have a problem trying to ticket your car as it was displaying a valid p&d ticket.

They have to take pictures of your car to prove it was in contravention of the rules, and (in our area) they take a picture of the PCN on the windscreen.

I once got a ticket in a council car park for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a blue badge. At the time I has a seperate permit which allowed me to park in my daughters school's teachers car park as the parents/visitors car park is at the bottom of a steep hill. The Blue Badge was on the drivers side of the dash and the Schools permit on the passenger side.

It's obvious that the traffic warden just saw the school permit and missed the blue badge completely. I didn't appeal until the charge notice came through the door with the photo's the traffic warden took, I simply highlighted where the blue badge was in the photo and appealed. Obviously I won

As you were displaying a valid p&d ticket then the charge would have to be voided, and the leaving and returning argument would be your word against his.

The physical evidence, i.e the ticket, the photo's are enough to appeal any charge that may come through the door.

You do still have the p&d ticket, dont you?

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

Well I decided against poking a hornet's nest and didn't ring the council. My friends did check with people in the neighbouring flats who confirmed it is common practice for visitors to pay for a full day and come and go at will during the paid for period. I am told enforcement of the rules is fierce and nobody else has ever been told they cannot leave and return during the paid for period.

And yes, I do still have the P&D ticket backed up by a bank statement as I paid with my card.