• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shop Direct Want To Offset PPI to DCA - help **WON paid Direct to me**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new here and would like some advice as i am quite confused.

I had a PPI claim with Shop Direct upheld by FOS.

My account was sold on to Lowells whilst in a debt management plan, of which i still am.

Lowells are not a partner of Shop Direct and they have confirmed to me that Shop Direct no longer own the debt.

Shop Direct have wrote to me to say they will offset my refund straight to Lowells.

I was under the impression that as the debt is no longer Shop Directs as they sold it to Lowells then this cant be done.

Whilst querying this yesterday with the FOS the lady there told me as Lowells is a debt collection agency then Shop Direct can do this.

I am going to put in a complaint to Shop Direct to see if I can get the refund paid to me but just wondered if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a far more pressing debt in which this refund would have helped with alot, so hoping anyone with any advice would be able to help.

Thanks

Stacey

You need to complain to Shop Direct immediately and state that you want the payment to be made to you directly.

The account is no longer with SD - it has been sold on and as such there is no right of offset. The FOS has a page which offers guidance on the right to offset:-

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

NOTE - "...the account from which the firm transfers the money - and the account from which the money would otherwise have come - must both be held with the same firm..."

Thus, in selling off the account to Lowlife, SD have no further interest in this account - it is no longer held by them therefore there is no right to offset

If they disagree, advise that you will put the matter formally to the FOS, and in doing so you must point out their own guidance

That would be my reading of it anyway!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Agree - we've just dealt with Shop Direct for duff charges they took, had to take them to court eventually.

Their solicitor said that there was an outstanding 'debt' that had been sold to Lowell and part of our complicated agreement for redress was that we would clear that directly with the DCA.

We wrote to Lowell, they wrote back, we've written again - as yet they have not given us a clear assurance that they will do as they are asked, they just say 'yes, pay us' - no way are we playing their silly games !

Tell SD they are wrong and they must pay you.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

The potential problem I see is that there may be clauses in the sale agreement allowing shop direct to buy back the debt or part of it. I do not necessarily agree with it however I am aware of it happening in several cases. I am afraid I do not quite agree with sidewinders interpretation of the old fos guidance for that reason.

I would though say it is worth a try.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

matters not the FOS guidance is 'old'

its current policy

if it were not it would have been updated.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its also worthy to note that any buy back or offset clauses must be contained in the original T&C when you signed up.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Dx

What you say about it needing to be in T&C's is generally correct but if there was no part about selling your debt on the account would be unenforceable anyway as they could not have sold it on. I was making a point that my interpretation is different to sidewinders and as you should know it does happen.

I also said that IMO I thought it was worth a try, they certainly should not be paying the money directly to Lowells which seems an idiotic business idea anyway. Just increases their paper loss

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

It has been known for the original creditor to purchase the debt back then offset the PPI against the outstanding balance. Barclays and Capone are two that have been known to do this.

I imagine this is purely a paper exercise and nothing really changes hands.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

Hi,

just wanted to give you an update on this.

Shop Direct did indeed buy the debt back from Lowells and offset the PPI comensation and then sold the debt back to Lowells.

I have gone back to FOS and they have agreed to re open my case.

Will post when I have some more news on this.

Does anyone know with FOS the timescale of looking at a re opened case. Not sure if im looking at a couple of years again?

If they brought the debt back then you may be onto a loser here

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Did you receive any notice from Shopdirect or Lowell?, whether its a putback option within the heads of sale or not it still requires a notice of assignment to be given to the debtor. I wouldn't put it past either to conveniently forget...... not sure how interested the FoS would be in the legalities [probably not much] but if you ask it to reconsider and it goes against you I'd certainly request sight of any open documents its prepared to divulge to you before you sign on the dotted line.

I received a letter saying it would be offset, nothing to sign or to say i accept the decision.

Also, no notice from Lowells to say they recieved the money anyway.

To confuse things more Lowells have a third party acting for them which is NCO Europe who i make my monthly payments to on this account. But never had any paper work to confirm the offsetting has been received.

At the very least you need to see a statement showing that the PPI has been deducted from the outstanding balance. Does it reduce it by very much ?

I suspect you would be looking at a good length of time with the Ombudsman :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What type of debt is this btw? credit card? catalogue etc?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

ok then if they want to play dirty, so can you maybe.

If you have not already done a full subject access request and you know they have charged you for late payment fees then now would be the time to do it. they can be reclaimed as well

I recieved a letter saying it would be offset, nothing to sign or to say i accept the decision. Also, no notice from Lowells to say they recieved the money anyway. To confuse things more Lowells have a third party acting for them which is NCO Europe who i make my monthly payments to on this account. But never had any paper work to confirm the offsetting has been recieved.

Letter from the FoS or shopdirect?

Do you have the decision notice from the Ombudsman?

Would help if we knew the dates of each [which came first], the delay between service of each and the content of the decision please.

Try the case studies from 118/7 onward to see if your circumstances fit any earlier Ombudsman decisions..... fair and reasonable are pretty much the catch all in instances such as yours and if you do fit you have a point of reference to throw back at the FoS should it disagree.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/118/118.html

Make certain of your position prior to engaging with the Ombudsman though, get the argument right first time and you stand a better chance

Thanks for that i will have a read.

My case was upheld by the FOS in October 2014, letter was sent to me then confirming this and to wait for Shop Direct to be in touch. Shop Direct eventually wrote to me in February 2015, stating the amount to be awarded and they would be off setting against the debt with Lowells.

I wrote to Shop Direct and asked if it could come to me as I am in financial difficulty they rang me and said no, and they were well within their rights to offset.

I called back to the FOS asking them if it was allowed and they have decided to re open my case earlier this week.

Then i think it must beg the question of whether it was acting either fairly or reasonably be delaying redress and effecting its putback option in the knowledge that you were financially distressed. When the decision was upheld in your favour it had no commercial interest in any of your debts.

The Ombudsman will probably require sight of your personal finances prior to making a decision so it may be worthwhile getting together a copy of your bank statements for the period and your cra file to support your position.

The FOS use CONC as its source/ terms of reference [previously DISP]....... the fundamental principles of which are here http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/PRIN/2/1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just wanted to update my situation.

Shop Direct today agreed to send me the PPI refund direct by cheque.

I had a reposession order on my home and they agreed to pay me after asking them directly again.

The FOS started investigating and i can now end my complaint with them.

Many Thanks to people who gave me advice on this.

Stacey