Claimform for daughter living overseas

bluerose4u
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter has moved overseas (2yrs)

she did have cards and student loan, in the UK

she lived at home and does not have a property here.

Letters that came addressed to her I would return to sender with ''moved overseas'' written on

- now she has a CCJ application from a card company - what can I do?

I don't want the heavies banging my door down.

you mean a claimform not a CCJ?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

From the date of issue on the claim form (top right hand corner under the claim reference) you will have the following time..

Issue date ?? + 5 days for service (counting the day of issue as day 1) = ?? + 14 days to acknowledge the claim = ?? + 14 days to submit a defence.

What made you open this particular letter when you have been returning others by marking "return to sender" ?

No one will come banging on your door - I suspect it might have been better had you simply returned it to sender as you have done previously. Have asked others on the site team for more advice for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have sent S.O.S. to those on the site team who should be able to advise. But that would be what I would do. Why not telephone MCOL, their number is on the claim form. Explain that you have opened it in error, as you were unable to see the full name - should you return it to them and should it be marked for any person/department, specifically.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Is this your daughter's normal address for mail in the UK ?

BCOBS

A defendant has the right to defend, if they are not in the UK then they can not defend themselves and its unreasonable to be expected to come to the UK to defend, hence why the UK court has no jurisdiction over foreign nationals living in foreign countries.

It is possible to sue a foreign national through UK courts; however, a County Court Judgment can only be obtained against a UK resident and cannot legally be obtained against a debtor that is living outside of the UK.

I would take copies of the N1 claim form before returning to MCOL just for future reference

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Get a free proof of posting or send by tracked mail - don't just pop it in the letter box.

BCOBS

A defendant has the right to defend, if they are not in the UK then they can not defend themselves and its unreasonable to be expected to come to the UK to defend, hence why the UK court has no jurisdiction over foreign nationals living in foreign countries.

It is possible to sue a foreign national through UK courts; however, a County Court Judgment can only be obtained against a UK resident and cannot legally be obtained against a debtor that is living outside of the UK.

I would take copies of the N1 claim form before returning to MCOL just for future reference

Regards

Andy

Is it possible that MCOL won't deal with the claim form coming back to them and the daughter will end up with a default CCJ, because she could not defend ?

I suspect if they phone the Northampton bulk centre that they will be advised to pass on the court claim to the daughter where she is living, where she can issue the defence that she is a resident of another country, so disputes jurisdiction. She could send the defence by post as well, with proof of her foreign residency, with a copy also sent to the claimant.

We have seen before that Judges have favoured claimants, where the debtor has not informed creditors of their up to date addresses.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you, I have phoned the court, they told me to inform the claimant (via phone) and also return the claim form back to the court with confirmation she is living abroad.

Will I be safe then do you think?

Is it possible that MCOL won't deal with the claim form coming back to them and the daughter will end up with a default CCJ, because she could not defend ?

I suspect if they phone the Northampton bulk centre that they will be advised to pass on the court claim to the daughter where she is living, where she can issue the defence that she is a resident of another country, so disputes jurisdiction. She could send the defence by post as well, with proof of her foreign residency, with a copy also sent to the claimant.

We have seen before that Judges have favoured claimants, where the debtor has not informed creditors of their up to date addresses.

If it does slip through the net with a default judgment...then it naturally follows that it can be set a side for the above reasons I have advised.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If it does slip through the net with a default judgment...then it naturally follows that it can be set a side for the above reasons I have advised.

It is just a pain to have to do the set aside later, as it will cost them £155 and there could be a hearing.

I suppose you just follows the courts advice and hope that sending the claim form back works.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Who's the claimant and sols. I'm not sure why the court staff said to simply return it as I fear this would end with default judgement. The claimant sent it to the last known address so has not done anything wrong. It's up to the defendant to contest jurisdiction. I got Carter to discontinue a claim on behalf of my brother who emigrated to Oz.

If you want to deal head on with the claim and go down the jurisdiction route it involves a bit of work and giving the court the overseas address. You have to be careful not to do anything (like submitting a defence) as you will be taken to have accepted jurisdiction. In our case we submitted the AoS indicating that brother disputes jurisdiction (giving brothers Oz address on the form). Once we informed carter what we were doing he discontinued the claim but if the claimant doesn't discontinue of their own accord you have to submit an application to the court within (I'm not sure if it's 7 or 14 days) of submitting the AoS otherwise you are taken to have accepted the courts jurisdiction.

If the claim came from Northampton bulk centre, once the AoS is submitted indicating you contest jurisdiction and giving the overseas address, the court will issue to the overseas address a notice of transfer of proceedings to the claimants home court (as it's outside the Bulk centres jurisdiction) - then it's up to the defendant to submit an application to the court.

Of course that is the normal procedure Panther assuming that the defendant has possession of the claim and yes it would be deemed as good service (last known address).

In this case MCOL have been informed that the defendant no longer resides in the UK and that the claim pack will be returned (with their instruction) so they know service has failed. Judgment can only be obtained against a UK resident and cannot legally be obtained against a debtor that is living outside of the UK.

It is important also that Dad informs the claimant of this and also informs them that their claim has been returned to MCOL..they would be foolish to request default judgment under these circumstances...if at all possible when MCOL place a bar on the claim.

Andy

That's the thing though, the dad isn't a party to the proceedings and the court shouldn't accept correspondence or discuss it with anyone else but the named defendant or their appointed rep, so I think the telephone monkey at the court has got it wrong as without the daughters actual involvement, even though the claim is returned to the court as not living at this address, would still be deemed as served as it is the last known address the claimant has the and the address used to obtain the credit.

So the daughter in forms the claimant...Dad returns the pack as it was delivered to his address..once returned to Northampton they have a duty to inform the claimant that service has failed