DFS and Small Claims Court

JonathanC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding taking to DFS to the small claims court.

I will briefly go over my story, so as not to bore you all with the details!

Feb 14, Ordered a 'Guild' leather sofa from DFS which was 'supposed' to be pocket sprung, 3 seater and 2 single seaters - 3 months later the lovely sofa arrived (mid May). However, within 3 months we noticed that one of the seats on the 3 seater was 'sunken' - We reported this and an 'engineer' arrived within 2 or 3 weeks. His solution was to add more foam. Sound familiar? it was at this point that we realised it was not pocket sprung either. However, later that day, the seat was worse than ever and you felt like you were rolling into the middle. Reported it to DFS again at which point we had to arrange a visit with the store manager. Eventually he came to inspect the sofa and agreed that it wasn't right and that he would arrange for all new interiors to be replaced at the 'workshop'. Fast forward 2 months or so and the sofa was taken away and returned a week later. Immediately after sitting on it, it had sunk again and I would like to stress at this point my wife is a size 10 and weighs very little!

Reported it to DFS again, at which point we had to arrange for another engineer to come and inspect it before they would take any further action....Another few weeks passes and the engineer comes out to confirm that it is faulty.

We waited for the 'report' to go to the manager and eventually got offered a replacement sofa, but we would have to pay a 'usage fee' for our old sofa :-x By now, I was somewhat annoyed and refused point blank to pay any usage fee! I just want this suite away and my money back. This was relayed to the area manager who then said that I could choose another sofa without any usage fee. Sorry, but I have had enough of DFS and just want my money back.

The 'area manager' now responded by saying I can have my money back, but I would need to pay a usage fee of £300 for the use of the sofa for a year! - Errm, we have had the sofa 8 months, NOT 12 and it has been faulty since 3 months old!

Do they have the right to charge a usage fee? Should I go down the small claims route? or should I try and do a chargeback via Barclays as I went with the interest free option? Personally I would like to go via the small claims and claim back loss of earnings and stress that these clowns have caused me!

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

No they dont have a right to charge a usage fee after this period of time, then do a chargeback. The banks are getting more used to how this works now so speak to them and if they waffle demand that they send you a form for doing so and then if that doesnt get DFS to do something sue them under SoGA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello I wrote to the CEO Ian Filby sent letter via Royal Mail registered delivery with photos of the damage and a letter from Citizen's Advice templates stating I was taking them to Small Claims Court if I didn't get my cash back. Store Manager appeared at home to inspect a week later gave him what for and told them their furniture was a piece of crap, which he took great offence to! Anyway within a week furniture was collected and refund was issued slowly within a fornight. I knew they would drag their feet a little but who cares it worked and we are happy to get rid of the very expensive rubbish.

Email:[email protected]

Telephone 01302 573200

Postal Address 1 Rockingham Way, Redhouse Interchange, Adwick Le Street Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN6 7NAM

Good luck!