Cabot/Restons - ClaimForm LLoyds Credit Card 'debt'

Tonster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Issue Date on claim formlink3.gif 14th Jan,

Particulars of Claim

1.The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and Lloydslink3.gif Bank dated on or about the Jan ** 2002

2.and assigned to the Claimant on Jun ** 2014 in the sum of £11,***.**

Particulars a/c no **************

What is the value of the claim? £11K+

Is the claim for a current or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? Credit card

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? 2002

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor

or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser (Cabot)

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? Yes

Why did you cease payments? Financial difficulties and increasing APR by the OC

What was the date of your last payment? Feb 2012

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?

Yes, lack of prescribed terms in the signature document

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor

and make any attempt to enter into a debt managementlink3.gif plan? Yes

I realise that as this is over £10K it may not be small claims track so any advice appreciated.

AoS done today, intending to defend all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know if there are significant charges on the account that could be reclaimed, or Payment Protection Insurance ?

Can you please let us know the date of issue of the claim - top right hand corner of the form - then we can work out your timeline.

You will need to send a CPR 31.14 request.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387484-LEGAL-CPR-31.14-Request-Request-for-information-when-a-Claim-has-been-issued.

From the PoC details, it looks like you can request copies of..

1: The agreement along with terms and conditions

2: Statement of account showing how the balance being claimed has accrued.

3: Notice of Assignment.

Although if you have copies of these and have a current statement showing how the balance has accrued it would be a pointless exercise.

If you don't have a copy of the agreement. Then separate from the CPR request - which goes to the solicitor named on the claim form, you should send a CCA request to the Claimant, enclosing £1.00 for the statutory fee. There is no fee for the CPR.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

Please see attached copy of the agreement that I got from the OC some years back. But whether Cabot/Restons have a copy is another matter I guess so I should still CPR them for the agreement?

Tonster

Ouch, is that a poor scan or is the copy really that bad ?

Can you please let me know the issue date of the claim form ? :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

Issue Date on claim form is 14th Jan, AoS done today, intending to defend all.

I've covered up the personal details (with post it's before scanning) which I think makes the form look worse, it's fairly legible (especially at 150% in pdf!!)

Cheers

Tonster

Ah right, I thought that might be something to argue (that it was illegible).. never mind. I am sure others will be able to advise if there is anything that you can argue in your defence.

Your timeline is

Issue date 14.01.2015 + 5 days for service = 18.01.2015 + 14 days to acknowledge = 01.02.2015 + 14 days to submit defence = 15.02.2015

Yes, I think it would be worth including the agreement on the CPR request - because you are also entitled to receive copies of the terms and conditions from both inception and at the time of default or currently.

BCOBS

and a new CCA request to cabot too.

rectums will ignore the CPR

they cant ignore the CCA

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

we have a not unsurprising reply from Restons (attached)

ignoring the CPR request and talking about documents requested not mentioned in the claim

(this isn't true, only documents mentioned in the claim were requested, namely agreement, statement and NoA)

So I guess as defence is due next week

I should put together some kind of holding defence in light of them supplying no documents whatsoever?

So I'm thinking this would do as a holding defence in view of no documents provided by Restons

Particulars of Claim

1.The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and Lloyds Bank dated on or about the Jan ** 2002

Defence

1. It is neither admitted or denied with regards to the defendant entering into an agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim (‘the Agreement’) the Claimant has yet to disclose any such agreement or clarify any alleged debt.

2. It is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant the claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach as requested by CPR 31. 14 and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and (b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and © show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

3. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

4. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Edited by Andyorch
Particulars brought forward

Responding to your PM Tonster....

Standard Restons gobbledygook ...yes look in the DCA Legal success and start to prepare your holding defence.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy

Thanks for looking in, I've put together a proposed holding defence, do I need to add anything more to it or is that sufficient at this stage? Anything incorrect in it?

Cheers

Tonster

No section 78 request made?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Section 78 request was made to the OC some years ago, the result of which I've put in post #3. It took them a year and a half to find even that. This was sent through by Lloyds some years back.

You really should have made a further request to the claimant... (post#2) as they are now the legal owner and are the ones litigating...never the less you can bring that out and expand further should this proceed and you have to submit a witness statement.

Because of this your point 1 is now invalid ...because you have not asked the claimant to disclose the agreement nor are they in default of a section 78 request.I accept you have requested it by way of CPR but that is not a valid legal request...only civil which the claimant can decide if to respond to.

Hi Andy

Sorry I wasn't clear,

section 78 request was also sent to Cabot at the same time as the CPR request to Reston's as advised,

just haven't had any response to that request so far

(in fact, nothing back from Cabot at all)

just wanted to mention what I got back from the previous s78 request some years ago.

As my defence isn't due in until early next week

I guess unless Cabot get something back before then the defence is ok

or should I be adding/omitting anything?

Tonster

Okay......you need to add that a request has been made and as yet the claimant has failed to comply and is in default and it therefore unable to enforce any agreement....look at the other credit card defences in the success forum.

Judges dont like " neither admitted or denied "

Hi Andy, please see my amended proposed defence (taken from a couple of threads and amended to suit, mainly with your input on those threads!!), any input on it is again appreciated

Defence

1. On receipt of the claim form the Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for

a copy of the credit agreement, Notice of Assignment and a statement of account showing how the amount claimed has been reached, to the claimant's solicitors.

The claimant's solicitors have yet to comply.

2. Around the same time a section 78 request for a copy of the credit agreement mentioned in the claim was also sent to the claimant.

The claimant has yet to comply.

Therefore the claimant in their non compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim

and against pre action protocol should be considered when the question of costs arise.

3. It is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant,

the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach as requested by CPR 31. 14 and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. As per Civil Procedurelink3.gif Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. Until such time the Claimant can comply with my request for a copy of the agreement under section 78 of the CCA1974 that it relies upon they are prevented from enforcing or requesting any relief as pursuant to the CCA 1974

6. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

The claim is denied with regards to an amount due under an agreement. The Claimant/Solicitor has refused to disclose any agreement or statements on which its claim relies upon.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Okey dokey, here goes again thanks DX

Defence

1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. On receipt of the claim form the Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for a copy of the credit agreement, Notice of Assignment and a statement of account showing how the amount claimed has been reached, to the claimant's solicitors. The claimant's solicitors have yet to comply.

3. Around the same time a section 78 request for a copy of the credit agreement mentioned in the claim was also sent to the claimant. The claimant has yet to comply.

Therefore the claimant in their non compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim and against pre action protocol should be considered when the question of costs arise.

4. It is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach as requested by CPR 31. 14 and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

5. As per Civil Procedurelink3.gif Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

6.The claim is denied with regards to an amount due under an agreement. The Claimant/Solicitor has refused to disclose any agreement or statements on which its claim relies upon.

7. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Hi Andy, please see my amended proposed defence (taken from a couple of threads and amended to suit, mainly with your input on those threads!!), any input on it is again appreciated

Defence

1. On receipt of the claim form the Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for

a copy of the credit agreement, Notice of Assignment and a statement of account showing how the amount claimed has been reached, to the claimant's solicitors.

The claimant's solicitors have yet to comply.

2. Around the same time a section 78 request for a copy of the PURPORTED credit agreement [X mentioned in the claim X DELETE AS IT WASN'T MENTIONED] was also sent to the claimant.

The claimant has yet to comply.

Therefore the claimant in their non compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim. I WOULD REQUEST THE COURT THAT THIS CONDUCT, WHICH IS against pre action protocol, should be considered when the question of costs arise.

3. It is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant,

the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach as requested by CPR 31. 14 and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

4. As per Civil Procedurelink3.gif Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. Until such time the Claimant can comply with my request for a copy of the agreement under section 78 of the CCA1974 that it relies upon they are prevented from enforcing or requesting any relief as pursuant to the CCA 1974

6. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Minor tweaks above.

Keep referring to your Particulars....

Particulars of Claim

1.The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and Lloyds Bank dated on or about the Jan ** 2002

Your responses (particularly 1 & 2 must be in direct response to their 1 & 2) the rest of the holding defence is standard

You either admit or deny ....accept or decline...but it must connect to be CPR compliant

Hi Andy

Right here goes again, might get the hang of this in the end.....

Particulars of Claim

1.The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and Lloydslink3.gif Bank dated on or about the Jan ** 2002

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. Paragraph 1 is denied with regards to an amount due under an agreement/contract. The Claimant/Solicitor has refused to disclose any agreement or statements on which its claim relies upon.

3.Paragraph 2 is denied I am unaware of any legal assignment the claimant refers to within its particulars as the claimant/solicitor has refused to disclose any NoA when requested

4. On receipt of the claim form the Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for a copy of the credit agreement, Notice of Assignment and a statement of account showing how the amount claimed has been reached, to the claimant's solicitors. The claimant's solicitors have yet to comply.

5. Around the same time a section 78 request for a copy of the purported credit agreement was also sent to the claimant. The claimant has yet to comply.

Therefore the claimant in their non compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim and I would request the court that this conduct which is against pre action protocol should be considered when the question of costs arise.

6. It is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach as requested by CPR 31. 14 and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

8. Until such time the Claimant can comply with my request for a copy of the agreement under section 78 of the CCA1974 that it relies upon they are prevented from enforcing or requesting any relief as pursuant to the CCA 1974

9. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.

10. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.