Jump to content

car taxing


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

hi folks does anyone know how to tax a car?


my car has just being written off, and



i got another from the car auction last week,



it came without the reg doc,



i just presumed i could tax it by filling out a form at the post office,



it is motd and insured and went today to tax it,

but was informed i could not tax it as i dont have the reg doc

and even by filling out the form to get a new reg doc i still cant tax it,



then was informed it will prob take 4-6 weeks before i get the new reg doc back,



in the meantime i cant drive my new car now,



these new rules seem to stick as now i am stuck for my work as i cant tax the new car,

and will have to prob hire a car till the new reg doc arrives grrrrr



does anyone know a way round this

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apply at a Post Office


You can apply at a Post Office that issues vehicle tax.

You’ll need:


If required, you’ll also need:


  • payment for your vehicle tax
  • an MOT test certificate (it must be valid when the vehicle tax starts)
  • a valid reduced pollution certificate



So you can renew without a log book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do not have the V5C or the V5C2, you can tax a vehicle by using a V62, however this only applies if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle. As you have only just bought the vehicle, you will not be the registered keeper. You will still need to complete the V62 to apply to become the registered keeper, but this process can take up to 6 weeks as you were advised at the post office. Only once you have been added as the registered keeper, can you tax the vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How abotu taxing online?


Does the original owner have or supplied the tax reminder?








The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How abotu taxing online?


Does the original owner have or supplied the tax reminder?




The new owner wouldn't be able to use the form as his personal details will be different.



Even if it could somehow be used, it would tax it in the old owners name, so as soon as the new owners V62 was processed, the old owner would get a refund of the remaining months tax and the new owner would then have to tax the vehicle again.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...