Constant faults with a used car I've only had 9 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In April 2014 I bought a used 2007 Fiat diesel car from a dealer for just under £5000. It came with a 3 month warranty. It had a good spec on the car and a low mileage which is why I bought the car. It had some service history. When I took delivery of the car I booked it in, with a Fiat main dealer, to have a new cam belt fitted as it was due to have one. When I got my car back with the newly fitted cam belt the Fiat main dealer told me that the gear box was very noisy and it was an indication of it failing. They also told me that the air conditioning condenser was disintegrating. I took the car back to the dealer I bought it from and told them about the gearbox, air conditioning condenser and also that the electric lumbar support wasn’t working. After a lot of wrangling (they were initially saying it was all 'wear and tear') they finally agreed to have the faults put right.

During this period of wrangling there was another issue with the car where I could remove the keys completely from the car and the car would still be running! They took the car in and rectified this. So... so far I had been without the car twice - once while they sorted the car running without the keys issue and then on the second occasion when they refurbished the gearbox, replaced the AC condenser and fixed the electric lumbar support.

The next thing that went wrong with the car was the alternator failed. This happened just outside the 3 month warranty period. It also happened while I was out of the County visiting family. I took the car into the Fiat main dealer. While it was in having the alternator replaced I asked them to check for a water leak as I was suspicious there might be one as I'd had to top the water up a couple of times. The main dealer notified me the head gasket had gone on the car and that I should not drive it. I told the Fiat main dealer to repair the head gasket as I obviously would need the car to get back home and also for work. The cost of repairs came to just over £1000. I am still in the process of trying to claim the cost of these repairs back from the dealer/credit card company and the matter is now currently with the Financial Ombudsman Service. I don't see why I should have to be paying out for large repair costs to car I've just bought a little over 3 months ago.

I next took the car to a garage near my work as I was a hearing metallic clunking noise coming from the back of the car somewhere. They told me that the rear disks and brake pads needed to be replaced as they had been binding on and the discs were blue from the heat. They said it would have been doing that for quite a while. They also told be the front drivers wishbone was broken. I told them to repair the items. The cost of the repairs was £425

Within this last week there was a metallic rattling noise coming from the front driver’s side of the car. I took it into Kwik-Fit, near my home. They told me the front springs needed to be replaced as the driver’s side one had broken. It was the broken piece of spring that was trapped inside the rest of the spring and rattling. I told them to replace the springs... another £205

I have also, in the last few weeks, discovered that the rear window demister does not work properly. Some of the elements aren't working and probably never were but because it was spring and summer and I've never had to use the demister it's taken until now to discover it. I now also suspect that the limo-black privacy windows in the rear of the car aren't factory standard and that it is privacy film that was applied to the car by a previous owner. When I bought the car from the garage the privacy film was already on the windows but it wouldn't surprise me if the rear window demister was damaged when the privacy film was applied.

My question is this: I've only had the car 9 months and I'm sick and tired of having to pay out for expensive repairs for things going wrong. £5000 is a lot of money to me and I bought the diesel car with low mileage because I thought it would last me a good few years of commuting backward and forwards on the motorway . Even though it’s a 2007 model the car looked in good condition and I thought I was buying a good car.

I can't get in the car now without worrying about every noise and rattle and whether it is going to break again. It is no pleasure to drive any more I have lost faith in the car altogether. Do I have any grounds for recourse against the vendor for the car? Can I make them take it back and give me a refund after 9 months? I can't own an unreliable car - I depend on a car too much for work. Any help advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by *MSB*

Please would you introduce some spacing into this as a solid block of tect makes it very difficult for people to follow your story and to give you the help you need.

Thanks

It did have spacing, and paragraphs, in it when I typed it in but when I hit the POST button it did this, so I assumed that was what it did. I'll see if i can edit it.

right guys... sorry but I've edited this thing 4 times now and but spaces and carriage returns and double carriage returns in it and it keeps formatting it the same way.

There are two things here. Firstly if you expect recompense from the seller, you should have notified him of your problems and given him the first chance to do the repairs.

Secondly, you have had the car well over six months, so you will have to show that any faults were there at the time of purchase.

I can't see how you are going to claim for what you have had done.