Refused JSA

Maverick Man
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have been told I am not allowed to sign on to JSA, could anyone help me or clarify?

I was let go at the end of December, I filled out the application online and got an appointment at my local office. I got there and we went through the application and she said I couldn't go any further as I live with my girlfriend's parents (and obviously my girlfriend) - she asked if we shared a bedroom or not too. Because my girlfriend works full time, I am apparently ineligible.

We aren't married, been together about 12 months now.

Not sure what to do, my money is drying up...

Income based is means tested to which you would be assessed on the HOUSEHOLD income (Her parents, hers and yours)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The Jobseeker's Act 1995 sets out the conditions for eligibility for Jobseeker's Allowance. Check out the conditions in Part 1, Section 3.

(b) is not entitled to income support;

© is not a member of a family one of whose members is entitled to income support;

(d) is not a member of a family one of whose members is entitled to an income-based jobseeker's allowance;

(e) is not a member of a married or unmarried couple the other member of which is engaged in remunerative work;

Sub-section (e) could be particularly relevant to you. Considering your domestic arrangements I can't think of any way around this clause.

Thanks all for your replies.

I don't see why i shouldn't be getting JSA Contribution based. I've been working for the last 9 years and this is the first time I've been unemployed.

I might as well move back home with my Mum then if my girlfriend's going to have influence in my claim?

Thanks all for your replies.

I don't see why i shouldn't be getting JSA Contribution based. I've been working for the last 9 years and this is the first time I've been unemployed.

I might as well move back home with my Mum then if my girlfriend's going to have influence in my claim?

I think you need to take this up with the dWP to see if you are being assessed for cont based jsa. If not ask for a call back from a decision maker as to why and put in a complaint to the jcp manager.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

If you worked for the last 9 years your entitled cont based JSA for 6 months regardless of your partners income. However if someone is sacked or resigns they usually make you wait 6 weeks before they are paid. If made redundant, this shouldn't effect your entitlement.

Once the 6 months cont JSA had been paid, if you still live with a working partner then your not entitled to income based JSA. However if you live with your parents you would be entitled. Hope this makes sense.

Follow Estellyn's advice, it looks like someone as made a mistake.