Underpaid tax..

JournalistElect139
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I didn't want to hijack another thread of a similiar name so created a new one.

I've received a letter saying I had underpaid tax in years 12/13 and 13/14 (the amount owed is £77 after deductions were made)

I'll try to give a quick idea of my employment trail if that helps:

2012 - Working until December 2012. Signed on after that point

2013 - I signed off JSA as I took a position which ultimately was a [problem] job (employers didn't pay me and due to their dubious history, doubt that they forwarded any tax for me)

2013 - Around June time I went on JSA again

2014 - In February, I got full time employment and have been in this job since.

Now the "employer" who didn't pay me I doubt caused the issue as someone else who experienced the same, i.e. not being paid, had no problems with tax underpayment after leaving.

It might be my new employers but I'm thinking of sending a letter to HMRC asking for an explanation but will this explanation provide an insight as to who is responsible or will it be generic?

Any advice appreciated.

I'd be more inclined to phone. You'll have a long wait for a reply to a letter. They told me it takes 5 weeks to open them and as it's approaching the deadline for tax returns it may be even longer.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Glad it's sorted. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.