Jump to content

Council leasehold - apply for planning permission

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello All,


I live in a London council flat purchased a year ago (2014), there is a roof space size of a bed room that i want to insert a roof window.


Also In 2009 I inserted a full size door to lead to the roof space.This wasn't discovered when purchase survey was carried out.


Question is what do i need to do to get the permission? and also do i have to apply for a retrospective permission for the door or has this already passed a limit?


Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your replies - I am looking to make this into a bedroom, in fact it is already a bedroom only thing lacking is the window.


The flooring was already concrete when i moved in amongst other developments so i had it insulated, plastered, radiator fitted, light and door of course, these were not obvious work to the outside. All these were done before i purchased now that I am a leaseholder I want to finish the work and get a roof velux window fitted.


I read somewhere - light, radiator insulation do not need permission, but cutting a doorway does.


In terms of getting permission i am guessing i would need to get the freeholder's permission (council)

get the council's permission

get the lender's permission


I am getting tired already


In terms of being refused and asked to put work back - i read on other council's website that after 4 years that the unauthorised work has taken place the do not take any action, is this the case across England?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it sounds like you have cut through a wall into the hip end of the roof.

so the new "room" has sloping ceilings ?


Who owns the property below the new room ?


The problem you may have is the Fire dept. regulations.


It would require a half hour (min) fire check door and door lining complete with seals and a door closer

Along with this the Velux would also have to comply with Fire Regs.


I would also suspect that the plaster board fitted to the roof timbers would need to meet those requirements as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites


In terms of being refused and asked to put work back - i read on other council's website that after 4 years that the unauthorised work has taken place the do not take any action, is this the case across England?


I suspect if it causes an increased "risk" they will take action.


Building regulations are there for a very good reason and alot of it is for safety.

The same is true of the NICEIC (wiring regs.)


All additions or alterations MUST be carried out by a qualified electrician and the council notified.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks again - sorry for late reply, appreciate all your responses.


The space was usable space before, i use to use it as a study, but had to use electric heating, running electricity from the nearby socket.


There is a door opening but no door added yet.


I want to go legit - someone told me i need to employ an architect first to draw the plan to submit to the council, which sounds reasonable - anyone knows otherwise?


F16 - do I get the fire dept to check these things?


someone else owns the property below - other owners on the top flats have similar alterations, i just did mine before i bought the property

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Hello again,


Just an update and additional advice needed if anyone can offer some.


I employed a structural engineer who also did the drawing etc, my main concern now is the consent from the freeholder who is also the council, so now i am drafting the consent letter and wondering how to phrase things.


I want to insert a velux roof window in the roof, according to my lease i have the right to rebuild or alter any part of the building or buildings now or at any time during the period of 80 years from the date of the lease.


another section on restriction against alterations

Not at any time hereafter without the lessor's prior written consent to make or permit to be made any alteration in the construction height elevation or architectural appearance or the demised premises etc...


If anyone can help with this or has a template that would be much appreciated.



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...