Rail ticket machines to show passengers how to get cheapest tickets... with a sticky label!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Train companies are being forced to offer commuters the cheapest rail fares possible, following criticism that passengers can pay an excess of £100 when purchasing tickets at self-service machines instead of paying at a ticket counter.

The changes, which are expected to be implemented by March, are aimed at ending the anomaly in prices available at the counter, where staff have access to a complex database of fares, discounts and promotions, and the more limited options in a self-service machines.

Some machines have been found to promote expensive fares, bury cheaper options and do not apply discounts for groups or families, leading to a difference in train prices of up to £100, according to the Daily Telegraph.

As a first step, they must label all self-service machines by March to warn passengers they could save money by using the counter service.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rail-bosses-told-to-show-passengers-how-to-get-cheapest-tickets-9952838.html

I don't know if there is any better system, – I'd like to know – however, I always use The Train Line http://www.thetrainline.com/ when booking my tickets and I think that I get very good deals

I thought all online booking sites, including those of TOCs, used same system, offering same deals as each other - and as station ticket offices. I stand to be corrected if not.

Whilst counter staff should offer cheapest deals, I know for a fact that they routinely do not offer wheelchair users concessions they are entitled to. I find that disgraceful, even if down to staff ignorance - which in turn is also a disgrace.

Trainline is always the most expensive, without exception. They charge booking fees and some card fees for the exact same train tickets obtainable at other sites!

Arriva Trains Wales website uses exactly the same "Trainline" software, except there's no fees!

East Midlands Trains offer a £1 discount on their own Advance tickets, and again don't charge any extra fees etc.

East Coast also offer all the available fares, again with a discount on their own fares, (marked by a * ). No fees either!

Virgin Trains use the "Trainline" software too, again, they don't charge booking fees, but Virgin sometimes "filter" out their competitors cheapest fares, (London Midland).

There really should be a campaign by this very forum to encourage people to abandon the trainline! Use Arriva Trains Wales, (exactly same fares available, and same trainline software), but no fees!

It's only RailEasy and Trainline which charge fees! Booking with any Train Operating Company allows you to get the exact same fares, but without the fees!

People should simply go to the National Rail website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk, enter in their journey details and passenger info (railcards etc), and then it will tell you the best prices available and then direct you to the most appropriate company to book through, that don't charge fees!

actually I found [until I was perm in Scotland]

I travelled lon scot 7 times a year

used trainline to find the route number then put

that in scotrail

once I found out the trick

I got cheap cheap fares

I once got [by advanced booking] £32 RETURN Stansted - far ne Scotland

next time did it for £58 3 mts later.

this was 2012 mind.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

actually I found [until I was perm in Scotland]

I travelled lon scot 7 times a year

used trainline to find the route number then put

that in scotrail

once I found out the trick

I got cheap cheap fares

I once got [by advanced booking] £32 RETURN Stansted - far ne Scotland

next time did it for £58 3 mts later.

this was 2012 mind.

dx

The point is that the Trainline doesn't have special access to "cheap" fares. All of the fares displayed on trainline are available no matter which train company you book with, except the train companies (bar Merseyrail) won't charge you any booking/card fees to do so!

The Trainline only does so well because of it's advertising campaign, which makes people think they have special access to cheap fares, or that they are somehow the cheapest etc.

Whether you book by phone, internet or at the station, the majority of the fares are the same. At stations, you get an even wider range of fares and special offers (ranger/rover tickets etc), which aren't available anywhere else.