Jaguar Land Rover to create 1,300 UK jobs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jaguar Land Rover says it will create 1,300 new jobs to build Jaguar's first sports utility vehicle (SUV) at its Solihull plant in the West Midlands.

The firm has already invested £1.5bn in the Solihull plant to enable it to increase production, and it said its workforce there had almost doubled over the past three years to 9,450.

Jaguar Land Rover currently employs 30,500 people in the UK.

The car, called the Jaguar F-PACE, will be based on its C-X17 concept car.

That was first launched at the Frankfurt motor show in 2013. The new model is due to go on sale in 2016.

Jaguar Land Rover's UK executive director, Mike Wright, told the BBC the new vehicle would not be a "gas guzzler".

"We spend about £3.5bn on our product investment each year and one thing that we really focus on is making sure that our future cars are both economic in terms of fuel economy, in terms of CO2.

"This car's going to be built at one of the world's biggest aluminium body shops at Solihull that we've invested a huge amount of money in over the last couple of years. So gas guzzling? No".

'Thriving' The luxury car firm, owned by India's Tata Motors, said it had chosen the UK as the new model's manufacturing base because it wanted its cars to be "crafted with that special British flair".

Jaguar Land Rover chief executive Dr Ralf Speth said the announcement demonstrated its "commitment to the UK and the advancement of a high-tech, high-skilled, manufacturing-led economy".

Business Secretary Vince Cable hailed the decision as a "ringing endorsement" of the UK's car industry.

Mr Cable said Jaguar Land Rover's decision showed the UK's car manufacturing sector was in good health.

"The UK's automotive industry is thriving with a new car rolling off the production line every 20 seconds, and increasing levels of investment that's helping to secure local jobs," he said.

Growth The announcement came as Jaguar Land Rover said it had sold 462,678 vehicles globally last year - a rise of 9% year-on-year - and the fifth consecutive year that sales have grown.

China saw the strongest growth, with sales up 28%, while in the UK sales rose 7%.

Economic growth in China has slowed in recent years, and a clampdown on government spending on luxuries is eating into many companies' sales growth in the country.

However, Mr Wright told the BBC said there was little sign of slowing demand in China for its products.

"In the medium to long-term we see huge demand. The retail demand is still there in China," he said.

So why was it doing so poorly under UK managership, has the UK lost it's way or is Europe stifling it?

Hasn't been under UK Stewardship for years Conniff. It was with BMW who split the company up quite successfully as it happens despite the future failure of Rover and then Jaguar and Land Rover ( as it was then) was bought by Ford and run as two separate companies with Land Rover propping up Jaguar all the time. However, in my opinion development was restricted being forced to use common global platforms and share designs and parts. When Ford sold everything off, more a fire sale because of disastrous results of "Ford" world wide, Tata were the successful bidders who made it quite clear to the then predominantly British board of Directors, they were on their own and would sink or swim on their own and this all being at the time of the most vicious recessions most probably caused (as is well documented) by a hangover from Thatcher's de regulation of the banking system.

In fact, and not well reported at the time, Jaguar and Land Rover laid off literally thousands of engineering staff, made hundreds redundant which had a knock on effect with the supplier base as well. Not well known either is that during August 2009, the Directors were within 15 mins of calling in the receivers when Tata stepped in but with very severe terms.

It's interesting to note, that when the two companies approached the Government for help/loan (and not a bailout like the banks) the terms were so absurd, they were on a par with todays PAY Day loans companies. In effect they had no intention of helping whereas if you were a bank....no problem.

However there was a star in the making with the Evoque and just look what has happened with that.

So what we do know is that a predominantly British run company took the tough decisions, worked with the Unions and staff to deliver a lean company with vision, a portfolio of new class leading products and more in the pipe line, new factories and assembly facilities WORLD WIDE for the first time and massive profits. What was it for last fiscal year.....£2.6billion.

Now you tell me that success is not due to the British stewardship and the staff during the tough times of 2009. Nothing to do with Europe either.

We should be celebrating as those 1300 jobs have a multiplying factor in the supply base as well and I hear all factories have full order books for at least a third of the year ahead.

Exactly Conniff. I bet Bill Ford is smarting and saying to his board "what the F*** went wrong there guys" pmsl. The ROI Tata have had is tremendous to the extent JLR as it is now is actually propping up Tata Motors. Frankly if I could afford it I'd be buying shares now lol.

I have to say that living in the Midlands, it's great to see car manufacturing doing so well here again. This is the home of the motor industry. What a shame we can't say it's British owned.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes, it is great Caro but only rented ground. Tata owns the car industry and the steel works that they're made from so there's not a lot anyone can call British any longer.

Does 'Made in Britain' actually mean that any longer.

Guys I worked at Land Rover Jaguar in Solihull for 2 months before leaving.

Good decent pay if you have never earned that kind of money before but you are slave driven depending on what job you are given.

My reasons for leaving were not the job in hand but the shuttle bus system and taking 4 hours on average to get home after a night shift daily, it took its toll on me and family (not seeing the wife and kids for 5 weeks).

All the jobs are through Manpower agency - If you step out of the marked walk way once or anything simple then you are sacked.. Is it worth taking on a 200K mortgage then to be left homeless.

I know it's negative to think like that but in the 2 months I was there I saw a lot and how you must put up with being treated.

Maybe assembled rather than manufactured Conniff.

I know other JLR sites have problems with transport too, in no small part because the roads were never intended to take that kind of traffic, especially the village of Gaydon where Aston Martin are also located.

House prices have rockeded too. I know a couple who both work for JLR who sold their flat to move to a house. Of the 5 buyers in the chain, 4 worked for JLR (counting the couple I mentioned as 1).

My big concern is that it's all growing too fast, and there are an awful lot of agency workers and temporary contracts. I've seen jobs I fancy myself but haven't applied, because although they were more money than I currently earn, there was no job security. As poor-boy suggested, they want their pound of flesh for the big bucks.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think a few corrections are needed here so there is a balanced view.

Not all jobs are manpower and those that are transfer to full JLR status after one year now thanks to the Unions negotiation with this years now agreed pay deal which is now a very reasonable deal from that originally offered by the company. The main drivers behind this were the pension situation and Tempoary workers parity with permanent contract staff.

True, all plants are suffering parking issues but new facilities are being built. A lot of this is driven by plant expansions and new model launches.

Al UK facilities with the exception of the R&D centres are full manufacturing facilities as well as the China plant with stamping and body build lines. The only assembly lines are in India and the newly announced lines in Brazil.

It is untrue staff get sacked for walking outside of pathways. Usually there is more behind it. From the stats I've seen it's usually for persistent lateness, intoxication through alcohol, drugs or theft. They also have a policy of zero harm/lost time accidents which is why they are so hot on safety in the plants. If you think the west midlands plants are tight, you need to visit the Halewood one and even worse, the overseas plants.

Yes indeed they want their pound of flesh but the pay and conditions plus the benefits are industry leading and if you want the sort of money they pay that is to be expected.

I think most permanent staff are concerned by the rate of expansion, but it seems well controlled.

But what's even more interesting about all of this is that the parent company Tata, who incidentally also own a host of other British institutions such as Tetley Tea take a back seat and let the management get on with it.

Perhaps that's where it all went wrong with previous owners????

And yes they

Yes indeed they want their pound of flesh but the pay and conditions plus the benefits are industry leading and if you want the sort of money they pay that is to be expected.

I think most permanent staff are concerned by the rate of expansion, but it seems well controlleda.

Agreed about pay and conditions.

Not so sure about the rate of expansion being well controlled, but I get the impression they're rather swan-like - paddling like mad beneath the surface.

Agreed about pay and conditions.

Not so sure about the rate of expansion being well controlled, but I get the impression they're rather swan-like - paddling like mad beneath the surface.

I think that's a fair metaphor lol

Yes I know talking to many of the staff they feel the same way.

As a keen industry observer though I think the biggest joke in the UK car manufacturing industry at the moment is Bentley in Crewe.

I think that's a fair metaphor lol

Yes I know talking to many of the staff they feel the same way.

As a keen industry observer though I think the biggest joke in the UK car manufacturing industry at the moment is Bentley in Crewe.

My knowledge is much more limited I'm afraid so I can't comment on that.

Well you can bet your life that when the waves reach a crest it will be the UK wave that falls first. This country is just being taken advantage of. The government cannot find a way to get a fair tax level from them nor afford to sanction them for their tax evasion.

When slave labour rate countries like Mexico are fully running and cars are made for 10 bob they will slow down just like Ford has and the production will be moved away.

Can never understand why British money can't be found to invest in the motor industry----or is it lack of high calibre management? Acumen springs to mind.

We used to produce the best lorries in the world (some still running in Malta) yet we now have no truck makers.

Not sure if we even have agricultural tractors made by British owned companies??????????

Thing is, that we appear to have some of the best automotive engineers in the world, so why do we not have our own motor industry????

I don't think there is any such think as 'British Money' any longer Scaniaman. Everything in this country is owned by foreigners, even the shops. Successive governments have sold the nation. Where once we owned the world, now the world owns us.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I believe that a massive percentage of top footballers in this country have been signed from abroad.