Tax office threatening to change tax code due to self assessment overdue

DOS1392
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all.

I hope you guys/gals can help.

I have received a letter from the tax office threatening to change my 2015 tax code to pay for some self assessment overdue amount that I believe i do not even owe, as ive only been working since febuary last year and this over due payment is due from 2013!

I have never been self employed, however i did let a friend use my bank account to have his wages put into whilst i was on job seekers as he had split up with his wife and they had a joint bank account to which he needed his wages to not go in to.

i do remember signing off of the dole a while before i started working because i was meant to be starting full time work, employed, however about 2 weeks in they used their probation period to get rid of me, and DWP wouldnt let me sign back on, i ended up homeless for about 3 months, until my girlfriends mum let me live there, and due to her working she supported me and my girlfriend.

due to her support i never did sign back on as i was angry at DWP for making me fill out all of the forms to then shoot me down.

the problem now is that HMRC are trying to say that i was self employed and haven't filled out a self assessment, now i've been looking into self assessments and im being charged interest for not filling them out as well.

does anyone know what I should do because i've posted 2 letters to them over the last 6-7 months saying that i've never been self employed and that ive only been in my job for just under a year and i've never received a reply back from them.

thanks in advance.

Dan

it does actually state which one, all i can see is above what looks like a break down it says period ended 05-04-2013. then righ at the bottom it says 2013 SA outstanding return.

hope that helps.

it does actually state which one, all i can see is above what looks like a break down it says period ended 05-04-2013. then righ at the bottom it says 2013 SA outstanding return.

hope that helps.

Were you served notice to provide a SA return, and did you complete one?

Even if you weren't self employed and owe no tax, if they sent you a notice to provide the return you are obliged to do so.

If you never received a notice to provide a return, and have only recently become aware then :

a) provide the return urgently

b) ask to be exempted the penalty on grounds that you never received the notice to provide a return, had no reason to suspect you would be asked to provide one, and have now complied once you were aware of the request.

You would be unlikely to succeed in an appeal if they could show you likely would have received the notice OR if you have been aware of your need to provide a return for a while and you have been arguing with them about it!

When were you first aware of them requiring you to provide the return and when did you actually provide it (if you have already done so)?