Officer in hidden Van got me for speeding?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Coniff,like said the vans do not belong to the place I work at, it is checked every day. Guess all I can do now is wait for the ticket :(

you set it to the speed limit of the road you are to travel on,so for instance if I am to go on a motor way I will set it to 50 or 60 except if there is a control in place like roadworks, it is control by buttons as 2Ltr has said

Cruise Control does not limit the speed you travel at, it just maintains that speed without using the accelerator. If you accelerate to a higher speed, the van will ignore that setting and go faster, which may have been what happened at the time.

If you are so certain you were not speeding, then the controls and speedo must be faulty and that can be an offence in itself.

Actually

IF the OP was not speeding there is a choice of 3 scenarios that must bve true

a) As coniff says, Your vehicles speedo is incorrect NO DEFENSE

b) The equipment that took the reading of your speed is incorrect which would have to be proven from their calibration and testing information. Defense if true but you would have to prove it in court and face stiffer penalty if you fail

c) A mixture of a and b

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

i have a Renault Laguna, it has cruise control and speed limiter, what you describe Ray is just cruise control

The OP was driving a Mercedes Sprinter van, that speed limiter is factory/dealer set. Not by the driver, they adjust the settings for cruise control.

By the way we do not know what road you were caught speeding on.

Nor the speed you think you were going

Nor the speed the Police think you were doing.

Answers may provide details

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

That does not answer the questions....

I have no idea what speed the Police have me doing, The road was more industrial, I will check my logs to see exactly which one, I was doing 30 am sure

The police normally state what speed you were recorded as doing

so basically I am looking at 3 points and £100 fine?, it was dark, late at night . I will look through my logs to find the road number, off to work now

Its was dark and late at night? What difference does that make? If anything, its an aggressor to the offence not a mitigating circumstance. At night, in the dark, you should be even more careful.

3 points and a £100 fine? Maybe 6 points and £1000 fine? Maybe a driving ban? Who knows as you don't even know what speed you are being accused of so its impossible to comment on the outcome.

Good luck though and I hope its at most the 3 points and a £100 but who knows, you might be lucky and get a second awareness course. Friend of mine has had two as offences were 8 years apart. H

3 points and a £100 fine? Maybe 6 points and £1000 fine? Maybe a driving ban? Who knows as you don't even know what speed you are being accused of so its impossible to comment on the outcome.

If you're going to send out scary messages like that, why not go all the way and say 20 years inside.

Naturally it depends on the speed logged.

Just pulled out from a junction so can't be that much over.

20years in prison for speeding? One thinks not.

He hasn't, and cant, tell us how fast he was going yet. If he was doing 37 then 3 points and £100 maybe. But he could have been caught at 60 in a thirty for all we know, which would possibly incur a driving ban. My point was that until we know the speed, its pointless trying to guess.

On aside point. .............

Bobcat2 mentioned that he had a Tomtom satnav.

Can he not "check" the van speedo to the reading on the satnav. (as a "rough" guide).

This would at least prove if the van speedo. was roughly correct.

In a 30 limit you'd get a speed awareness course for up to 42mph (if not in Scotland and if you haven't done one before) or 3 points and £100 for up to 49mph. 50 mph or above and you'd be off to court for a proper spanking.

In a 30 limit you'd get a speed awareness course for up to 42mph (if not in Scotland and if you haven't done one before) or 3 points and £100 for up to 49mph. 50 mph or above and you'd be off to court for a proper spanking.

Just to muddy the waters, he has already had a speed awareness course previously.

• 2 weeks later...

3 points £100 fine is what he got the summons came today, it says he was caught doing 39 in a 30 .

I only know this as he thought I might want to know/care ,fat chance.

You can close this now if you want, Sandy

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019