dla > pip what now?

eskimoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I've just gone from DLA to the new PIP & have lost £150.00 per month it seems.

Just got the pip 'final' deciders today.

Currently (till start of feb) on middle rate carers & lower rate disability I am/was getting about £369.00 per month.

Now in the Pip letter they tell me I don't get the 'daily living component' as I only had 6 points (min 8 required).

They are saying I will receive £56.75 per week for the 'enhanced mobility' component.

So under the new PIP i'll receive £225.00 per month instead of £369.00?

My question is this:-

Will I receive a separate letter about the carers allowance?

If I don't have a carer, will that money go to me like it did with the DLA's?

I am very worried at the moment as I seem to be losing out on what amounts to almost £40 per week from this new pip benefit compared to the DLA, and this while I am actually worse off medically than i was when i made my original claim!

I am an MS patient, I cannot walk far without assistance & I use a wheelchair if someone takes me out for the day (family usually).

There have been mental health issues (I rarely go out at all) though seems pointless mentioning those because it seems in no part does my pip claim reflect to any of my mental health problems only in the mobility side.

If this is all I am to receive now can anybody tell me the steps to appealing or post a link to same. Any help with this appreciated as at the moment I just feel like i've been robbed.

dla (care component) is replaced by pip (daily living element) - if you have scored 6 points - you do not get help with care/living costs

if you disagree with decision - first stage is to request a mandatory reconsideration through the DWP

dla (mobility component) is replaced by pip (mobility element) - you will continue to receive this, though at higher level than previously

carers allowance is a separate benefit paid to the carer not the disabled person

• Confused 1

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I see. So it is as bad as i thought then.

So being just two points off the minimum 8 for the daily living element I have lost all that money. I will indeed appeal.

Thanks id6052 for clarifying that, even though it is not what I wanted to hear, it is always best to know where one stands so cheers for that.

carers allowance is paid to the carer of a person on middle or higher rate of DLA(care) or the daily living component of PIP

i think that when OP refers to carers allowance, he meant DLA(care)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

carers allowance is paid to the carer of a person on middle or higher rate of DLA(care) or the daily living component of PIP

i think that when OP refers to carers allowance, he meant DLA(care)

Yes, it was the care component of dla i was referring too.

The lady who did the 'one to one' interview admitted at the time that she was in a hurry & this was in the presence of my mother who was there as support so i shouldn't think the appeal will be a problem being as she literally 'rushed me' through the process.

Thanks for the information anyways guys, I was not sure how to appeal since they had changed the system over so cheers again for that. Will request a mandatory recon first thing monday.

My question

"Isn't carer's allowance directly related to having the care component of pip or dla?"

was based on this statement the OP made

Will I receive a separate letter about the carers allowance?

If I don't have a carer, will that money go to me like it did with the DLA's?"

And this is what got me confused. I read it as he had a carer and that carer was getting Carer's Allowance

and that if he did not have a carer then the Carer's Allowance would be paid to him.

So based on the answer I received from my initial post just to clarify

If you do not receive either Mid/high rate DLA(care) or Any level of PIP(care) the you cannot get Carer's Allowance

That's correct. To have a carer the claimant must receive one of the below benefits.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - the middle or highest care rate

Attendance Allowance

Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Yes, i didn't mean to confuse you, it was the 'middle rate care' that i was receiving through DLA which is now the 'daily living element' viz PIP.

SO viz a viz, that is where the missing chunk of money has gone. They have deemed it that I can care for myself (which isn't always the case though I try very hard, MS can be very random as far as symptoms are concerned). I suppose by appealing I just prove them right, irony irony o.O

Perhaps if I don't appeal they will see that I cannot manage my affairs & will go ahead & pay me the missing part! Not fancying the odds to much mind.

The really funny thing about all this is I had pointed out to the lady who did the 'one to one' that in a worst case 'MS' scenario, I had one time stepped into the kitchen & for a few moments didn't have a clue where I had come from! Oh yes, perhaps they'll let me drive a car now too!

Have you looked at the descriptors and seen where you score points? You only need the help 50% of the time, the help has to be reasonable, (ie, you don't have to be receiving the help or want it - it just has to be reasonable for you to be needing it) you have to be able to repeat the task safely, realiably and in a timely manner.

A lot of the criteria for PIP is different to DLA.

• Confused 1

I would definatly look to get help and to appeal.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/ is a useful site

there is also a book avalable from there that has all discriptors and law surrounding them.

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I am just about to phone the number they gave me to ask for the mandatory reconsideration notice.

I've kept all the info I need, including about the SSC1 form which I might need later.

I really appreciate all the help & info CAG provides via you guys, so again, very much thank you to you all for your help.