• Tweets

• The summary is that I collected my van after it was towed, drove it 20 metres and saw a panel come loose, I went inside to report it and immediately emailed them, they have since refused the claim as I had already collected the vehicle.   The story:   - Van towed - Van collected, signed out 12:00 - Van appeared visually to have no new damage, was not allowed to drive it until paperwork signed - Upon driving it a plastic exterior panel came loose (this appears to be from when it was craned onto of truck) - I stopped the vehicle 12:03 and walked into their office to report damage - I emailed photos to head office 12:08 - NSL initially claimed they examined photos and damage was pre-existing - I requested CCTV footage of my visit under Data Protection Act. I provided them a copy of my ID, photo, description of clothing as well as letting them know I was the only member of public/customer on-site for the duration of my visit - CCTV footage denied on basis I "was not recognisable" after they reviewed footage - Initially refused to provide any photos of vehicle - Finally produced 0.3 megapixel images, much too low resolution to see anything, but certainly confirming their claim the damage was pre-existing is false - Refuse to provide original full resolution images despite multiple requests - Latest excuse I was gone 15 minutes and could have caused the damage during this time. Clearly a false assertion given I emailed them within 8 minutes and was in their office within 3 minutes of leaving. - I feel by refusing to provide CCTV footage and full resolution photos they are obstructing my ability to prove they caused the damage   The damaged panel tore off at 30mph while trying to go to have it looked at, luckily no other vehicle was damaged, in hindsight I should have driven with the panel being damaged. But this proves the damage is very unlikely to have been pre-existing as the van couldn't be driven.   So I intend to pursue through the small claims court. My questions are:   - I can't afford to fix the van right now and as it is cosmetic, I can still use it without fixing the panel. Can I get a quote from Renault and claim on MCOL for the value of the repair? - Although I was gone only 3 minutes and drove 50 metres from NSL yard directly to NSL office, I did still take the vehicle before reporting the damage, this was due to the panel being pushed into place (but not secured) and therefore not visible until the vehicle was moved. Will this work against me when making a claim? - Does their repeated lying (first claiming it was pre-existing, then falsely claiming I was gone 15 minutes and could have caused the damage then) work against them? - Does withholding CCTV where I was the only non-high vis person on-site on the basis I was not "identifiable" work against them (clearly I was identifiable, I was the guy without high vis on) - Does failure to produce any original images, just very compressed images of the van before and after towing, work against them?   How strong a case do people think I may have?   I have exhausted their complaints process.   Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
    • I have recently managed to get rid of some historical debt as it became statute barred and thought I had gotten rid of old debt. However, I have received a letter from a firm of Solicitors chasing the recovery of fees for a timeshare we bought in 2010 privately from the previous owner. We have visited it once and paid fees once in 2011. I have not communicated with them or paid anything since 2011   As far as I am aware, I haven't received any communication from the Timeshare company or the representatives for probably 5 or 6 years. The total debt is £3670.    Is this type of debt subject to the same rules as any other debt, i.e. a default has to be issued 3 months after last payment becomes overdue and can it be statute barred or am I going to have to pay it as it is timeshare rather than a traditional debt. I still have the timeshare but am now actively looking to get rid of it.   Thank you. 
    • Today I got a refund of £25 from Packlink. I have also submitted a claim form with Hermes, as you suggested.   It pays to be tenacious.   Thanks for your advice.
    • Hello there,   My wife (62) has advanced arthritis on both hands and wrists (inherited from her mother's side of the family).   She left her job as a youth carer in January of this year because amongst other issues with her inability to work they pushed her into office and admin. However, with her arthritis, writing or using computers became impossible. As nearly all jobs available requires some use of hands, which she is unable to do, what benefits would be available to her. Does my wife qualify for anything?   Other info. She does have arthritis in all areas of her body, but for example she is able to walk reasonable distances, sit down comfortably for reasonable lengths of time, etc. She also suffers from psoriasis (which may have played a part in her condition).   A friend of hers owns a wine bar and offered her a job (not too taxing) but it required her to carry wine bottles and glass which was OK-ish for the first 60 mins but then became impossible for her to do.   Any help or advice greatly appreciated.   cheers sidley
    • I think it will be very helpful to let people know more detail about these debts. Who is the original creditor? How much was the debt for? When was the debt incurred? When did you last make any payment or acknowledgement of the debt
  • Our picks

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1790 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Im going through an issue with work. Im finding the union is a little laid back. Nothing too major yet, but they're very reticent regarding action.

Im a little worried they might be weak in the face of my Tribunal (They're the same ones who work with employees of a company which rhymes with 'Besco')

I've been so worried ,I've approached a private company who do work on a 'fixed fee' basis. I can afford to go down the fixed fee route. I want to make sure my ex-employer really isn't left off the hook.

Would anyone recommend a best route? Its the first time I've ever done this in 25 years of work. Im not asking for definitives, but in the face of an ineffectual union ,but with unlimited access to legal cover, or go for a fixed fee from a firm which I'll be the main focus ie. they'll be working directly for me.

Are union legal cover as effective as paid private action?

I would say, given the choice, it's probably better to go with a solicitor of your choice.

In my experience, unions will either conduct the work in house, send the work to a referral team of semi qualified paralegals who keep the work in house there, or refer it to their panel solicitors who generally do the work for a low fixed amount.

A no win no fee qualified solicitor will be more likely to work hard on the case, in my opinion. They need to get the right result to get paid for the job!

The other option is to see if you have legal expenses insurance under your household contents insurance policy - in which case you could invoke your right to freedom of choice and find a reputable firm.

It's a matter of personal choice though.

Take advantage of the legal plus if it's more of a legal issue which your membership covers and take it from there.

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

Might edit your post Bill... calling company into disrepute when looking at your whole posting history, and so on....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Cant call legal plus as it has to go through the rep first. :( Or he'd say 'why did you do that? I was dealing with it'

Most companies will use tactics we don't like. Highlighting that in my opinion does not meen your bringing them into disrepute. However point taken and post edited.

Bill

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

use the union. Get a full time regional officer involved rather than your local reps. Contact head office if the branch wont get off their backsides to help. The legal help will cost you nothing via the union and their solicitors are better than any no-win no fee people, trust me.