Fraudulent counter withdrawal..[urgent advice needed]

IanSommers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I am in need of a bit of advice so figured this was probably the best place to try besides CAG

(and their office is closed today apparently so they are no good for me really)

I recently transfered some cash from my savings account to my current account to book a holiday.

Paid for it.

I'm not sure if I am going to be able to go now.

I left over £1000 in my account for spending money.

When trying to withdraw our spending money at the bank this morning, I was told insufficient funds.

Obviously I went into the bank and was told a counter withdrawal was made yesterday for £1000.

I ask how on earth this can happen, as surely a cash withdrawal would require ID.

Apparently not, they just ask security questions.

I asked what kind of security questions and the manager seems a bit reluctant to tell me,

but it turns out simple things like address would suffice.

I am getting slightly wound up at this point and ask if they used anything else to verify this withdrawal.

He tells me that they dont have chip and pin machines in branch as a signature suffices..

. however my card never left my possession all day so how they could even have had a card to verify the signature is a mystery

he offers to check the cctv footage but claims this could take up to a fortnight.

Probably the wrong thing to do, but at this point I walked out

as to be honest, I felt like I was going to completely snap.

There are more security measures in place to use a cash machine than take out larger transactions over the counter!

Unbelievable.

I have never tried to draw out cash at the counter before anywhere, but is this the same with all banks?

If so I completely understand why my grandfather used to keep bundles of cash around the house.

I used to laugh at him when he said he didn't trust banks to keep his money safe

and would rather take the risk of keeping it himself :!:

I got home and contacted the fraud team, who reckon theres nothing they can do as it was an in branch transaction.

They can open an investigation but it can take weeks to get a reply/refund.

Now, I may have to go down this route, but

is there anything I could do to try and get an immediate refund?

I don't feel its fair for the bank to penalize ME for their lack of security.

I am currently asking around to see what cash I can lend from friends to see if I can still go on holiday.

I have transferred my wages to my partners bank account until the fraud team sort this out

as clearly I cannot trust my money to be in nationwide right now.

.unfortunately I don't get paid til the end of the month though

I am absolutely foaming at all of this.

Especially the day before I am meant to be going away.

I don't feel I have actually done anything wrong,

yet I have no access to my own money :S

Edited by IanSommers
removing personal details

Complain to their Customer Care Team.

They can sort this...

Could they sort it today though?

If you cant go then bill your part of the holiday to them for lack of security?..

Oh I will definitely be trying to do that if it comes to it. Explaining to a 6 and a 4 year old that they can't go on a holiday they are really excited for though...looking forward to that even less than the fight I feel I am going to have to get my cash back

I doubt it as they need time to investigate...

8 weeks... But youll have another chance to go away if Natiownide cough up.

Also report it to the police... Cover yourself.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I went straight to the police station from the bank, the reckon its for the bank to sort out..though they did give me a crime number and said the will do whatever they can and update me. Wasn't impressed with that either to be honest :sad:

No its perfect, you have a CRN. Keep it and give it to the complaints team :)

This will be sorted slowly...

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/contact-us/make-a-complaint

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

If theres no way to sort things today (my mum had a payment taken from her bank a few years back and got a same day refund, though a card payment is different to a withdrawal I guess) then I will do that. I find it shocking that I'm going to have to wait so long for a refund mind..I will be changing banks when this is sorted. To one that actually requires ID for large transactions to be withdrawn

The bank is obliged to refund any fraudulent loss immediately. Please have a look at the FCA know your rights guide.

Of course, the banks don't like doing this and they routinely break the rules. Please keep us informed of what happens. keep logs of all conversations and confirm everything in writing. You will be able to recover all losses plus good compensation if -

a) it was there negligence and

b)if they then failed to apply the rules correctly.

Hi. They say it can't be fraudulent as the person answered my security questions correctly and the signature given to the cashier apparently matches mine. Though my signature isn't really very complex, I keep meaning to change it but I have been using the same one for ages now and its just habit :/

Edited by IanSommers
removing personal info

Just insist that it is fraudulent. Give it to them in writing and give them a copy of the FCA guide and complain in writing immediately. Give them the crime ref number and tell them that if they consider that you are telling porkies then their duty is to call the police immediately and to report you for trying to steal from the bank

They have crime number already, they reckon they don't have to refund immediately.

Apparently there will be an investigation now, and then I will get refunded. Guess I have to cancel holiday as I really doubt it will get done tomorrow :(

They do have to refund it immediately.

They are not even allowed to await the outcome of an investigation

How do I tell them this? I'm not really good with confrontations (even on the phone) and I feel really awkward telling someone how to do their job..but at the same time it is my money..that I desperately need asap.

The girl I spoke to said the investigation team dont work over the weekend, nor the refund team. So I dont think I have much hope at the min anyway now :(

Firstly - you don't do it on the phone. You do it in writing - always. Get a fax number and fax them a letter and take a copy into your branch.

When is the holiday?

Keep a detailed list of all the actions you take and all of your losses

Print a copy of the FCA know your rights guide to take, or at least pages 16 &17.

Good luck.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

No luck. Apparently the FCA rules only apply to visa card payments?

I don't know if I should bother trying to ring the fraud team again and trying them..they seemed slightly more willing to help than the branch staff :/ Meant to be leaving in a few hours

No luck. Apparently the FCA rules only apply to visa card payments?

I don't know if I should bother trying to ring the fraud team again and trying them..they seemed slightly more willing to help than the branch staff :/ Meant to be leaving in a few hours

They are telling porkies

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yeah its good to know I have somewhere else to go if the bank refuse to do anything. The problem is now though. Because of this I have next to no money, when I should have a grand. And I don't know how long its going to take.

From reading around it seems they can only withhold a refund if they suspect I am acting fraudulently...which must mean they do. This is ridiculous. Why on earth would I withdraw money then phone up to say I didnt when I know there is CCTV in there?! Apparently though even if they suspect you, they still have to complete the investigation within a reasonable timeframe..what would be classed as reasonable in this case? I would say 24 hours since they are leaving me with nothing, but no doubt its a lot longer