CEX used PC game

sqwiggly

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a voucher for CEX for Christmas and used it to purchase some games from CEX online. One of the games was a PC game, The Sims 4. When I tried to install it, an error message appeared saying the serial key had already been used, so I couldn't install the game.

The game was £35 and I am unable to use it at all. I have emailed customer services and have had no reply, it's been almost a week now. I've googled this subject and I've seen that people have not had much luck getting refunds in this scenario.

Surely they can't sell you a game that you can't use? If I knew anything like this would happen I would not have bought it.

Does anyone know what the next step would be? I am not sure if I can take it to one of their high street stores as I bought it online.

Was the game sealed when you recieved it? If so, contact CS, but go higher up the chain. If they dont acknowledge, then you can either Speak to EA and see if they can help, or failing that, contact CEX's CEO and tell him you want a new code or youll take it further.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The game was not sealed. I know that generally CEX sell second hand goods, but I just don't understand how they can sell it if it can't be used. I did not think about contacting EA - I will try that as well. Thanks

If its not sealed and the game requires a code then its their responsibility to ensure the code is there. If they sell it as with a code then it must be there otherwise they run foul of various laws.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

It didn't actually state that it was with or without a code, but I assumed it would be considering the price of £35, which is near full price. I have just spoken to EA, they said they can't do anything and that I need to contact the store, but gave me a discount code.

How do I go about speaking to someone "higher up the chain". Thanks for your help.

You get their physical address and write to the managing director as a full and formal complaint.

Sims 4 is a game that should not be sold second hand. Once the code is registered then that's it. EA would have to invalidate the previous registration for it to be valid again, and I highly doubt they would do that.

The same is true of the vast majority of PC games, especially any that use Steam/Origin/uPlay.

You need to get it back to the shop and advise it's already been registered and that you require a refund as the game should never have been sold second hand. They shouldn't even have accepted it as a trade-in if it was unsealed.