General query re: pedestrian crossing zig zags

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Just curious as to the legality of the road markings on a nearby zebra crossing

- not sure of the exact length of the zig zags either side but lets says they're 8 metres in either direction...

..except one of the four sections of zigzags is several metres shorter in order to accomodate a bus stop

(ie. one side of the road has zigzags one side of the crossing running to around 2 to 3 metres, the other three run to around 8 metres).

I thought the idea of these markings was to limit the risk to pedestrians and yet people can cross behind a bus whos rear end is only a metre or two from the crossing (assuming another bus isn't behind it which is straddling the crossing (as I have witnessed on more than one occasion!)).

Yet if I park opposite the bus stop I'll be on zigzags and so risking a fine and points.

Techincally perhaps not double standards but does seem to smack of it, can anyone offer some clarity please

Legally speaking the answer will be in here somewhere - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2006/164/contents/made Unfortunately it's too much for me to digest at this hour.

Practically speaking though it's reasonable for the zig zags to have some asymmetry. The reason for the restriction on parking is so that approaching traffic can have a clear view of pedestrians and vice versa - and traffic only approaches on one side of the road from each direction. So it makes sense for the zig zags to be longer on the side of the road on which traffic approaches.