Impending probationary meeting for 4 instances of lateness in a month

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all I wanted to seek your advice in how to present myself in an impending probationary meeting.

I was informed today I would need to have a meeting with 2 team leaders in my department (my current one and my previous one) because I have been late 4 times in the last month. This is my first month and the first 2 times were in my first 2 days, which I will admit is very very bad. But on all of the 4 occasions they weren't more than 5 or 6 minutes, and the last 2 were only by 3 minutes. Furthermore the 2nd time I was late it was because I had not been given a security pass at that point and so was trying 2 or 3 different stairs to see if I could get up without a security pass swipe. Whereas the most recent 2 times was because I got a flat tyre on my bike (I cycle to work), which in spite of that I was only 3 minutes late on both occasions.

In addition to emphasising the fact that otherwise my attitude to work has been professional and I haven't taken any holiday or sick days yet, I also feel that on 3 of those occasions I was late I had also genuinely made a big effort to get in on time despite circumstances outside my control.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what would you advise? I was told I can ask for a colleague or union rep to attend this meeting, should I ask for someone from the HR department to also attend?

Frankly, I would be wondering if you were taking your new job seriously if I was your manager.

No matter how good your performance elsewhere, it is up to you to get to work on time. Not one minute late. Full stop. That includes punctures, heavy traffic, whatever. Leave 15 minutes extra for your travel time.

You would not make the end of your probation where I work unless you severely pull your socks up and make it blindingly obvious to all that you will never be late again. Ever.

I certainly take your criticisms onboard and I can certainly see it from the manager's point of view. However I mainly wanted advice in how to approach this meeting, how I should present myself, because I genuinely do appreciate the seriousness of the situation.

Would asking for the attendance of someone from HR be of any use to me?

If i were you, and they questioned the bike, i would say that i would be getting a taxi in good time, so i arrive much earlier, incase there is a risk the taxi is late. Then actually get a taxi in once or twice before i go back to using the bike. It wouldnt matter of the taxi cost a fair bit. it's either that or i lose my job.

In an old job i had, i used to drive to work around 15 miles. My car broke down once and i ended up walking 10 miles and got a bus the rest of the way just so i could make it into work on time. I'd rather have the expense of a taxi or bus than no job at all.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I would say you need to grovel, be profuse and abject in your apologies and appreciation of the gravity of the situation.

I used to work somewhere where a minute late was enough to get you and more than 3 in a month and you were down the road.

I can't quite believe you were late on both of your first two days.

Never ever say "it was only 3 minutes..."

Don't make any excuses just explain what you are doing to sort things out.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Of course I haven't made any excuses so far. From the initial times I was pulled up for being late to being informed of this meeting I haven't tried to push away responsibility. But when termination is being mooted as a possibility now I have to think about every angle.

you asked for advice, I'm giving it! I can only go on what you put in your first post - a load of excuses! If your bke has been unreliable once - you don't rely on it a second time, you leave much earlier....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Emmzzi is probably the best qualified person on this site to ask for advice like this. Dont try shrugging her advice off.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I'm sure plenty people are equally qualified renegadeimp, but thanks :)

Basically the employer is looking for

- recognition you have done wrong

- sincere apology

- practical steps to ensure the error does not recur

They may extend your probationary period

I'll add .. more experienced ;)

Not disregarding anybody's advice, any of your time is appreciated. I just wanted to clarify despite my original post it is not representative of my attitude at work, I was just giving my side of the story on here to give context/get my thoughts in order.

It's not us you need to clarify things to. Thats what we are trying to say. You need to put forward your reason to your boss without making it seem like an excuse, which is how its come across so far.

Not disregarding anybody's advice, any of your time is appreciated. I just wanted to clarify despite my original post it is not representative of my attitude at work, I was just giving my side of the story on here to give context/get my thoughts in order.

I'm afraid from what you write, you think 3 mins late *is* acceptable. My best advice is to have a think about the reasons why it isn't and get your perception changed before you get trapped in an awkward conversation :)

Plus see points above.

Very good luck - let us know how it goes?

I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

I only mention the 3 minutes late factor because I want to say I did want to get in on time and made an effort to. When I got a flat tyre I had to half run and push the bike and half re-inflating the tyre every 2 minutes in a farcical manner to limit the amount of time I was gonna be late by, I could have just waited for a train but I would have been 15 minutes late rather than 3.

I cycle because despite risk of punctures it is still more reliable than public transport, particularly in winter. I have to get 2 trains otherwise and if I miss the connection it's a 20 minute wait.

Now try restating that without it sounding like excuses.. feel free to practice on us!

Never ever say "it was only 3 minutes..."

Don't make any excuses just explain what you are doing to sort things out.

Exactly, don't come up with lame excuses, they won't work and they will think you the type of person whose never at fault, it's always someone else.

Get in 30 mins early, have a coffee before you start, it's easy once you get into the rhythm.

All great advice above - and having been the one holding such meetings on countless occasions the employees whom I believed most were those who said :-

1. I fully accept that I am in the wrong and am sorry and ashamed to find myself in front of you today

2. I have already taken steps to improve my punctuality - and you will note that this has been the case

3. Step (2) will continue and you will never have cause to speak to me again

4. I apologise for taking up your time today and hope that you will see fit to give me another chance - if so, I promise not to let you down again

Only after this and if asked should you offer any kind of mitigation - and make sure that it is genuine

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

All great advice above - and having been the one holding such meetings on countless occasions the employees whom I believed most were those who said :-

1. I fully accept that I am in the wrong and am sorry and ashamed to find myself in front of you today

2. I have already taken steps to improve my punctuality - and you will note that this has been the case

3. Step (2) will continue and you will never have cause to speak to me again

4. I apologise for taking up your time today and hope that you will see fit to give me another chance - if so, I promise not to let you down again

Only after this and if asked should you offer any kind of mitigation - and make sure that it is genuine

You forgot one of the most important points:

5. Actually remember not to let the employer down again! ;)

Every office has those odd few people who turn up a couple of minutes late to work. Personally I hate being late so I turn up an hour early and have a nice relaxing morning!

i dont mean to be the bearer of bad tidings, but to give you an idea of how hard your going to have to highlight the points others have made in what to highlight in the meeting . In my workplace two late reports ( be it 3 mins or 3 hours), in a 12 month period and you will be on an informal warning...if my shift starts at 0700 - i plan to be at work 40-45 mins before that . So if theres a delay on the train , a road closure etc etc i at least have some leeway . Also as well i can get to work , sit down relax for a bit with a cup of tea and not have to worry about rushing , and start the day relaxed !

You need to consider the effect your lateness has on the employer. In my line of work, if there are insufficient numbers of people to keep the line running it cost's £40, 000 a minute in down time and lost productivity. We take lateness very seriously and twice in a month triggers an investigation. Whilst this doesn't affect me as being senior staff I travel 40 miles and am always in early to lead by example but the main reason is that you cannot know what is likely to happen so I get a lot of lee way to play with. Even when my daily commute was 200 miles round trip in appalling weather I would leave earlier and it was often remarked upon if I was in on time then everyone else should be who lived relatively local and couldn't do it. So in essence it's down to your attitude towards the position you hold and what you do to cover all eventualities. One thing though to note, did you at any time call to say you were running late?