• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reading London Street (Northern Section) Charge Certificate - No PCN received prior to this

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, please bear with the naivety if I didn't follow any forum rules.

On 9th November, I visited a friend who lives in reading.

Out of blue on 03/01/2015, I received a Charge Certificate for Bus Lane Contravention

- Being in Bus Lane (as defined in S.144(5) ) Transport Act 2000.

I never received any PCN or any time to challange.

This is the first communication I am getting.

Charge Certificate says that PCN was sent to you which gave you 28 days to pay the PENALTY CHARGE or challenge its issue.

Because payment in full has not been made within relevant period the amount of Penalty Charge has been increased by 50% (From £60 to £90).

I have 14 days to pay from Issue date of 2nd Jan.

On reading secure website gateway, they have photo, video as evidence.

An appeal button to appeal.

I called up council and they said you write a letter that you didn't receive PCN

and your charge of £90 will be frozen until council write back.

I have following queries or help:

> How to take this forward now.

> Any letter format or what formal representation or words to mention in letter.

> I have looked at Street View and it's on the road which says "Buses and Taxis Only" along with a sign post.

I clearly missed these signs while trying to find my way in Reading.

> It happened when you go from Duke Street to London Street (crossing Queens Road).

It looks it's only for buses and taxis to cross over Queens Road to further London Street.

> There is no Red Bus Lane which could have visibly told me to stay off. It's a single lane with no red layout.

Please help. I will post this Charge Certificate and Street view and evidence given on reading website after removing private details if it helps.

Thanks

AJ

I want to put streetview link but not allowed as it says post count should be greater than 10. I am attaching photographs provided by Reading Council on their website along with street view screenshot.

I went straight from Duke Street to London Street, crossing Queens Road yellow box into London Street. There is a CCTV camera on other side of Queens Road which I think took the picture.

pic1,2 are by Reading council. Pic3 is where my car would have been before crossing the yellow box, pic 4 is of camera which took footage (my bad luck if was pointing to front on that day).

Thanks

AJ

Edited by ajayms1980

yeah, seems shld've turned left prior to the junct'n into queens road re 'all traffic' instead of going straight ahead. seems clearly marked.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4536583,-0.9684113,3a,90y,170.36h,90.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssPwOpgqxEQyEj8QKCVf2Wg!2e0

seems then whether they have followed correct procedure re the ticket issue?

Thank you ford.

The problem is I never received PCN. It looks Reading Council might be doing it regularly as there is one more case of directly receiving CC instead of PCN or any option to contest. It may be they never posted the PCN hopefully.

I am not allowed to put the links as I have less than 10 post else would provide link to a legislation mentioned in my writeup below.

I am planning to write to them (asking to cancel CC based on following legislation 34.2(a)) but will need expert help to formulate it to discourage them:

Does following wording make sense:

====================

I am writing to you with regards to the above Charge Certificate received via post on the 03/01/2015 dated 02/01/2015 (Copy attached). The charge certificate states that the offence was committed on 09/11/2014 and PCN was sent to you which gave you 28 days to pay the PENALTY CHARGE or challenge its issue. Because payment in full has not been made within relevant period the amount of Penalty Charge has been increased by 50%.

I would like to inform you that I NEVER received any Notification from Reading Council prior to this charge certificate. I require forthwith that you to cancel Charge Certificate based on [statutory Instrument 2005 No. 2757 Part 6 Regulation 34.2(a) "The Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, Adjudication and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005"] which states "did not receive the penalty charge notice in question" as I NEVER received any PCN or any communication prior to this.

Since I NEVER received any notification from Reading Council, It will be very unfair and unjust to issue Charge Certificate without providing any PCN or opportunity to challenge it's issue. It is also important to note that the said offence was committed in November 2014; I would like to know the date the Penalty Charge Notice was sent to me with evidence and be given enough time to challenge this if I choose to do so.

======================

Does it make sense to add this Legislation text as this is 2005 and may have been changed. Also it belongs to person making Statutory Declaration? Or will it aggravate the situation?

Any help formulating a reply to this charge Certificate will help.

Thanks

AJK

Hello Ford,

I haven't received anything except this Charge Certificate and can see this evidence video and photograph on their secure gateway.

The only thing I am relying on is that they didn't send me PCN or given me any opportunity to challenge it. They straightaway sent CC dated 2nd Jan and I have 14 days to pay. After calling them they said you send a letter that you didn't receive PCN and your increase charge will be frozen to £90 only until Council write back to you.

This council has done this to another person who has put a message on pepipoo. He also received CC instead of receiving PCN directly.

Writing to them is first opportunity for me to discourage them to take it further and trying to find any grounds to mention. I am going though this penaltychargenotice link.

Thanks

AJ

Gone through the link of Reading council, I didn't know actual find was £30 increased to £90, all due to unfair means of council not sending PCN and directly sending CC (that is what i suspect).

As per this, I can't even appeal or make formal representation.

As per this, I can't even appeal or make formal representation.

?

seems you can? their site says so.

you didnt receive a pcn, which wld be required prior to enforcement?

Have a read of this, specifically the parts near the bottom, "Registration of Debt" and "Statutory Declaration".

http://www.patas.gov.uk/tmaadjudicators/enforcement_buslane.htm

If they don't respond to your letter the way you want them to (which, by the way, is not a great letter - "I require forthwith" etc isn't going to earn you any good will) then you'll need to make a statutory declaration, as explained on the link.

?

seems you can? you didnt receive a pcn?

Hello Ford,

I didn't receive anything except this letter. Also what Council say on phone is contradicting what it says on website.

Looking at Reading Website, it says following:

======

When first issued, you have 14 days in which to pay the ticket at a discounted rate of £30.

After 14 days of the date of issue of the PCN, you lose the right to pay the discounted sum. The 14 days starts with the date on which the PCN was served. The full charge of £60 becomes due after the 14 days.

After 28 days of the date of service of the PCN, a Charge Certificate may be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle, notifying the keeper that the charge has been increased by 50%, up to £90. If you receive a Charge Certificate, you must pay within 14 days. There is no right to appeal at this stage.

After 14 days of the date of the Charge Certificate, the debt will be registered at the Traffic Enforcement Centre and a registration fee of £7 added to the charge, taking the total amount payable up to £97.

After 21 days after the Debt Registration, if the charge has not been paid or a statutory declaration has not been made, the Traffic Enforcement Centre will grant authority for a warrant to be issued and a certificated bailiff will be requested to recover the debt from you. The Enforcement Agent (formerly known as bailiffs) will charge you for this.

=======

Based on this, once CC is issues I will not be allowed any appeal. As this is the only letter I got, after talking to Council Customer Service Representative, she said you write a letter that I didnt receive PCN and it will be frozen until council write back and give you another 14 days to pay.

These both things are contradicting. Also, If I don't pay and it goes to TEC, does that affect my credit rating if decision is against me and I have to pay up???

What I find outrageous is that £30 fine allowed raised to £90 and then receiving a CC. It looks it's a deliberate attempt. Also another person in same boat and this council quite famous for fleecing motorist.

Thanks

Ajay

but you didnt receive the pcn? so the rest cant follow.

also, can then do a stat declaration accordingly if enforcement.

and, they have asked for your reps.

but you didnt receive the pcn, so the rest cant follow.

also, can then do a stat declaration re enforcement.

and, they have asked for your reps.

I will ask for original PCN but going through web, very unlikely I will get it. Also CC is the final stage before it goes to TEC.

Looking at web, for this council, my guess is they will come up with discount to pay in 14 days. It looks their strategy to wind up motorists.

I will ask for original PCN but going through web, very unlikely I will get it. Also CC is the final stage before it goes to TEC.

Looking at web, for this council, my guess is they will come up with discount to pay in 14 days. It looks their strategy to wind up motorists.

yes, if they can show one was issued....?

see jambersons link also.

yes, if they can show one was issued....?

see jambersons link also.

Thank you jamberson and ford.

@jamberson I missed that post. I will go through the link. Also this require forthwith, I picked up from a forum. I will change to "request".

Thanks a lot for replying.

Thank you jamberson and ford.

@jamberson I missed that post. I will go through the link. Also this require forthwith, I picked up from a forum. I will change to "request".

Thanks a lot for replying.

Morning,

@jamberson - I have gone through the link. I understand now that I need to wait for "Order of Recovery for unpaid penalty charge notice" along with Witness statement.

Does following letter make sense, any changes??? I have made it bit polite and myself.

============

=========

To

The Officer 06/01/2015

Reading Borough Council BL

PO Box 3012

Reading

RG19RZ

Subject: Request for cancellation of Charge Certificate for

Vehicle Registration – XXXX and Penalty Charge Notice Number – XXXX

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am xxx, a resident of XXXX. I have received Charge Certificate dated XXX on XXX (attached herewith) for vehicle (Reg. – XXX, PCN – XXX) which states date of contravention as XXX.

This Charge Certificate states that a PCN was sent to you which gave you 28 days to pay this PENALTY CHARGE or challenge its issue. Because payment in full has not been made within the relevant period the amount of the Penalty Charge has been increased by 50%.

I would like to inform you that I NEVER received any notification or any communication from Reading Council prior to receiving this Charge Certificate. As result, I was not provided any PCN/notification or any opportunity to challenge its issue. This is the very first communication I received from Reading Council. After talking to your department, I was advised to write a letter to you about not receiving any prior notification.

Going through web, I came across one more member of public who has been issued Charge Certificate without receiving any prior Notification from Reading Council. This could have been a genuine Administrative error at Reading Council end or postal end but it has caused me great amount of stress.

I would like to request you to:

 Cancel this Charge Certificate as this is the only communication I am getting from Reading Council.

 Provide me with copy of Original PCN along with date when it was issued and evidence it was posted.

 Provide me with any other notification prior to this charge certificate

If Council decide NOT to cancel Charge Certificate out of Statutory Process and “Order of Recovery” is issued, I will be left with only option to fill up Witness Statement to inform TEC that I was not provided any notification prior to this Charge Certificate. Also, I will notify them about same issue faced by other member of public as this may be an Administrative Error at your or postal end.

I would like to request you to provide these details as soon as possible. I am sending this letter as first class recorded so that it reaches you in time and no communication is lost.

Yours Sincerely

xxx

XXXX

=========

Morning,

@jamberson - I have gone through the link. I understand now that I need to wait for "Order of Recovery for unpaid penalty charge notice" along with Witness statement.

Does following letter make sense, any changes??? I have made it bit polite and myself.

============

=========

To

The Officer 06/01/2015

Reading Borough Council BL

PO Box 3012

Reading

RG19RZ

Subject: Request for cancellation of Charge Certificate for

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am xxx, a resident of XXXX. I have received Charge Certificate dated XXX on XXX (attached herewith) for vehicle (Reg. – XXX, PCN – XXX) which states date of contravention as XXX.

This Charge Certificate states that a PCN was sent to you which gave you 28 days to pay this PENALTY CHARGE or challenge its issue. Because payment in full has not been made within the relevant period the amount of the Penalty Charge has been increased by 50%.

I would like to inform you that I NEVER received any notification or any communication from Reading Council prior to receiving this Charge Certificate. As result, I was not provided any PCN/notification or any opportunity to challenge its issue. This is the very first communication I received from Reading Council. After talking to your department, I was advised to write a letter to you about not receiving any prior notification.

Going through web, I came across one more member of public who has been issued Charge Certificate without receiving any prior Notification from Reading Council. This could have been a genuine Administrative error at Reading Council end or postal end but it has caused me great amount of stress.

I would like to request you to:

 Cancel this Charge Certificate as this is the only communication I am getting from Reading Council.

 Provide me with copy of Original PCN along with date when it was issued and evidence it was posted.

 Provide me with any other notification prior to this charge certificate

If Council decide NOT to cancel Charge Certificate out of Statutory Process and “Order of Recovery” is issued, I will be left with only option to fill up Witness Statement to inform TEC that I was not provided any notification prior to this Charge Certificate. Also, I will notify them about same issue faced by other member of public as this may be an Administrative Error at your or postal end.

I would like to request you to provide these details as soon as possible. I am sending this letter as first class recorded so that it reaches you in time and no communication is lost.

Yours Sincerely

xxx

XXXX

=========

Why don't you just say something like this:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I received a Charge Certificate in respect of the above PCN. However I was not aware that the PCN had been issued, as I did not receive any prior correspondence on the matter.

I would like to appeal the PCN and, after speaking to your office, was advised to request in writing that you re-set the case in order that I may pursue the appeals route. If this is not possible, I will submit a Witness Statement in due course, but I think it would be easier for all parties if the case could be set back at this stage.

Please would you advise me on your decision,

Regards etc.

• Haha 1

Why don't you just say something like this:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I received a Charge Certificate in respect of the above PCN. However I was not aware that the PCN had been issued, as I did not receive any prior correspondence on the matter.

I would like to appeal the PCN and, after speaking to your office, was advised to request in writing that you re-set the case in order that I may pursue the appeals route. If this is not possible, I will submit a Witness Statement in due course, but I think it would be easier for all parties if the case could be set back at this stage.

Please would you advise me on your decision,

Regards etc.

I sent it this morning. Lets see if they come back.

• 4 weeks later...
so they acknowledge incorrect procedure, but can get away with it with a reissue? wld go back to the beginning then?

Yes, they say we will reissue PCN so that I get a chance to appeal. That is what this letter says in 3 lines.

Thank you all for support. Lets see what they do next.

On tuesday (before I had received this letter), I had sent another letter (as advised on phone by them) to them that I will be travelling away from home for 3 weeks and please don't write with in this time. I hope this letter don't make them more persistent. Although, they will take almost 4 weeks to look at it.