insurance claim advice needed . please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there and thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

My husband and my daughter were involved in a RTA on Christmas Eve on the A1, the car in front of my husband (young driver only been driving 3 months) braked and braked harder than planned (emergency stop to be precise) my husband broke but was not able to stop in time and drove into the back of him, his car was badly damaged ( expected to be written off) the car he hit was not much evidence of damage. he did the right thing called police, off duty paramedic attended (just happen to be in traffic behind him) he called green flag and he spoke to emergency insurance claims, car was taken to a secure pound by them and my husband and daughter were left at a service station (i had to travel the 70 miles to fetch them)

so we spoke to the insurance company covea on boxing day, they told us they needed to recover the vehicle and would take 48 hours to decide if written off (but the initial reports from where it was is that it was definitely going to be unrepairable) in view of this and in view of the fact it was an own fault claim we could not have a hire car. they said after the decision is made it would take up to 10 working days to issue the money (car was financed so would go to them). My husband works 35 miles from home so has had to take annual leave since as we do not have a spare car to use. we have spoken to covea last Friday who then said, the car hadnt been seen by them yet so not written off but initial indications and reports said it will be and that we still had the ten working days to wait (taking us till 9th Jan with Christmas / new year weekends etc) so we still have no car (finance company will refinance as soon as received payment) so we are in limbo. we have lost all the call out pay my husband would have got for new year working, we are still none the wiser about what is happening with the car,

I am just about to call them (again) so wanted advice on

1, if they offer us a silly amount what can I do, we need enough to pay off the previous finance. I have priced up an equivalent car on line and it is between 4,000 - 5,500 we owe 3,800.

2, if they delay things can we claim for loss of earnings ?

3, is there any way they should be giving us a hire car until this is sorted ?

any advice on how I fight my corner would be great.

1, if they offer us a silly amount what can I do, we need enough to pay off the previous finance. I have priced up an equivalent car on line and it is between 4,000 - 5,500 we owe 3,800.

If the offer seems low you will need to go back to them with copies of adverts locally for cars in the same spec, age, mileage and overall condition to show the market value of cars in your area. Up to 20 miles would normally be a reasonable area to cover although with your partner working in a different area you could argue the values of cars from that area if there is regional variation in your favour. If you dispute the value most insurers will make an interim payment to the finance company whilst you argue over the value and this may reduce the interest you pay.

2, if they delay things can we claim for loss of earnings ?

Unfortunately no you can’t, as this is a fault claim you are unable to recover lost earnings. In the event of a non-fault accident you would recover these losses from the at fault driver. If there was a really long delay then you could enter a complaint against your insurers requesting compensation but unlikely this would cover your loe they normally just waive the policy excess. I know it seems like a long time since the accident but due to Christmas in the eyes of your insurers it has only been 5 working days.

3, is there any way they should be giving us a hire car until this is sorted ?

Have a close look at your policy documents to confirm the wording about replacement vehicles although most polices are worded that they will only pay for a replacement vehicle whilst your car is actually being repaired which does not help you whilst they decide if it is a write off. Also have a look on your policy schedule to see if you have paid extra for guaranteed hire would provide you a hire car for a set period of time even on a fault claim with your vehicle being written off. For example this would be 14 days (21 with hire plus) on Direct Line or Churchill who I assume you are with given the mention of Greenflag.