Barclays Charges Update

karlkarl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a Barclays statement in the post this morning on which I had some charges deducted from my account.

I'd like to point out that as of March 31st 2006 they will be increasing their charges!!

Unpaid fee - is going up to £35

Paid referral fee - is going up to £30

I need to get my arse into gear and get what is rightfully mine back! $ years ago I changed my current account to a Student Account, however, in September 2005 my account reverted back to a Current Account. I didn't realise they were going to charge me £7.99 a month for the privalige of having an account with them.

the subsequent £7.99 charges have taken me over my overdraft and they are now charging me an extra £25 (soon to be £30). I don't even use the account because I've been meaning to slowly pay off my overdraft, but since taking the £7.99 fee they made me go over the limit.

It's from this group I've realised how sickening these banks are!

I received a Barclays statement in the post this morning on which I had some charges deducted from my account.

I'd like to point out that as of March 31st 2006 they will be increasing their charges!!

Unpaid fee - is going up to £35

Paid referral fee - is going up to £30

I need to get my arse into gear and get what is rightfully mine back! $ years ago I changed my current account to a Student Account, however, in September 2005 my account reverted back to a Current Account. I didn't realise they were going to charge me £7.99 a month for the privalige of having an account with them.

the subsequent £7.99 charges have taken me over my overdraft and they are now charging me an extra £25 (soon to be £30). I don't even use the account because I've been meaning to slowly pay off my overdraft, but since taking the £7.99 fee they made me go over the limit.

It's from this group I've realised how sickening these banks are!

:twisted:

:twisted:

Didn't you know? The £7.99 per month is for the privilege of using the automated telephone system, the overseas call centre staff on one fifth UK wages , being credit scored instead of spoken to, and having a bank that will take as much of your money as it can, as soon as it can, as often as it can.

:roll:

Didn't you know? The £7.99 per month is for the privilege of using the automated telephone system, the overseas call centre staff on one fifth UK wages , being credit scored instead of spoken to, and having a bank that will take as much of your money as it can, as soon as it can, as often as it can.

:roll:

Ahhh, that's what it's for! That makes it all the better. NOT!

Having said that, I phoned Barclays today (08457 555 555) and requested an exhaustive list of all the charges I have incurred since February 2006. With no questions asked and a negligible fee (£5) they're posting it off soon.

I can start the ball rolling soon!

Ahhh, that's what it's for! That makes it all the better. NOT!

Having said that, I phoned Barclays today (08457 555 555) and requested an exhaustive list of all the charges I have incurred since February 2006. With no questions asked and a negligible fee (£5) they're posting it off soon.

I can start the ball rolling soon!

Just thinking...surely Barclays are aware of their customers claiming money back from incurred charges? If so, why increase their charges? Any reasoning? Just a thought.....

because the number of people is miniscule.

Just thinking...surely Barclays are aware of their customers claiming money back from incurred charges? If so, why increase their charges? Any reasoning? Just a thought.....

because the number of people is miniscule.

Because they have to get those expenses of reimbursing those pesky customers (us!) back somehow, and the vast majority of people will either:

a - remain uninformed.

b - will believe that they are somehow guilty of straying in the red and should therefore be punished.

c - won't believe that they could actually get those charges back.

d - even if they do give it a try, quite a few of them will back down when the bank tells them it's right and they're wrong.

And so, the banks will claw back some of the money they unwillingly will have disgorged back to those who fight for what's theirs... Surely, you didn't think they would just take their losses? No, no, no, instead, they will just fleece harder the meekest! :twisted:

Cynical, moi? ...Er, yes... Doesn't make me wrong though... :shock:

xxx

ML

Because they have to get those expenses of reimbursing those pesky customers (us!) back somehow, and the vast majority of people will either:

a - remain uninformed.

b - will believe that they are somehow guilty of straying in the red and should therefore be punished.

c - won't believe that they could actually get those charges back.

d - even if they do give it a try, quite a few of them will back down when the bank tells them it's right and they're wrong.

And so, the banks will claw back some of the money they unwillingly will have disgorged back to those who fight for what's theirs... Surely, you didn't think they would just take their losses? No, no, no, instead, they will just fleece harder the meekest! :twisted:

Cynical, moi? ...Er, yes... Doesn't make me wrong though... :shock:

xxx

ML

karlkarl,

You will probably find that they have set you up with an Additions account which provides dubious benefits such as Breakdown Cover (for your car - not you), Family Benefits, Overdraft, Will writing, Accidental Death Cover etc. They did this to my son when he asked for a Student Account. When I complained that he didn't need breakdown cover because he didn't have car and he didn't need family benefits because he was 18 and single, they immediately apologised and refunded his fees. They did the same to my wife between Jan 2000 and April 2005 and I am in the process of trying to claim back every fee she paid on the basis that she already had ALL of the benefits they were "giving" her and should have made enquiries to find that out before recommending this type of account. I reckon they owe her about £400 plus interest. They do this a lot so their agents must be on commission to push this type of account whenever they can. They make huge profits for the virtually worthless benefits (worthless because most people already have cover) so other banks are beginning to follow. I am amazed that the Regulator think that this kind of practice is OK. Take my advice and submit a formal complaint to:

Customer Relations

Barclays Bank PLC

54 Lombard Street

FREEPOST LON13542

London

EC3B 3PJ

They will probably back down. And claim the price of your stamp as well. :evil:

karlkarl,

You will probably find that they have set you up with an Additions account which provides dubious benefits such as Breakdown Cover (for your car - not you), Family Benefits, Overdraft, Will writing, Accidental Death Cover etc. They did this to my son when he asked for a Student Account. When I complained that he didn't need breakdown cover because he didn't have car and he didn't need family benefits because he was 18 and single, they immediately apologised and refunded his fees. They did the same to my wife between Jan 2000 and April 2005 and I am in the process of trying to claim back every fee she paid on the basis that she already had ALL of the benefits they were "giving" her and should have made enquiries to find that out before recommending this type of account. I reckon they owe her about £400 plus interest. They do this a lot so their agents must be on commission to push this type of account whenever they can. They make huge profits for the virtually worthless benefits (worthless because most people already have cover) so other banks are beginning to follow. I am amazed that the Regulator think that this kind of practice is OK. Take my advice and submit a formal complaint to:

Customer Relations

Barclays Bank PLC

54 Lombard Street

FREEPOST LON13542

London

EC3B 3PJ

They will probably back down. And claim the price of your stamp as well. :evil:

Smegnoguk,

Many thanks for that advice. Before I went to Uni I had an Additions account which I then changed to my Student Account. Sometime last year they changed it back to an Additions...I didn't know they were going to do this as they did not inform me!!

I actually received my statements yesterday after I phoned Barclays and they could only send me the last 5 years of statements on the account number and sort-code I provided. To me this seems that my Student Account was the start of new account numbers etc and therefore I should have been informed of the change to an Additions account. Yes?

I'll be straight on to Barclays! Great....more money to claim back!

Thanks again and it's good to know I can claim this back too.

Smegnoguk,

Many thanks for that advice. Before I went to Uni I had an Additions account which I then changed to my Student Account. Sometime last year they changed it back to an Additions...I didn't know they were going to do this as they did not inform me!!

I actually received my statements yesterday after I phoned Barclays and they could only send me the last 5 years of statements on the account number and sort-code I provided. To me this seems that my Student Account was the start of new account numbers etc and therefore I should have been informed of the change to an Additions account. Yes?

I'll be straight on to Barclays! Great....more money to claim back!

Thanks again and it's good to know I can claim this back too.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Complaint about Additions Account – Barclays replied to me to say that since they couldn’t confirm whether or not my wife knew she had been given an Additions account, they were unable to investigate the complaint. I wrote to them and explained “since you are unable to substantiate my claim that the product was added to my account without my knowledge, and this appears to be verified by virtue of the fact that I clearly had no idea when it was added, I believe that, in law, it is incumbent upon you to substantiate your reasons for making changes to my account.” They have just refunded £572.50 in Additions account bank charges including interest over the last 6 years.

:shock:

• 1 year later...

Any chance of a copy of the letter you sent to them. I want to get back the additions fees put on my step-daughters account. Which we are sure she never signed up for. Did you ask for proof from them that you signed up for this additional rip off

Cheers

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks