Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder


Old benefit debt - disputed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1927 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I received a letter a few days ago from DWP debt recovery saying I owed £410.



Somewhat confused I called them to ask what it was about and



apparently it's from a budgeting loan I had when on benefits over 12 years ago.



I paid this back by taking 4 cash instalments into my local jobcentre (now closed) when I first returned to work.



The person I spoke to asked if I had receipts etc. Well I did but it was 12 years ago

- I've moved house 3 times since then!!

Who keeps receipts for 12 years?


I understand that the 6 year statute of limitations doesn't apply to DWP/HMRC but is there anything I can do?



I mean they could say whatever they wanted really - there's no way anybody could prove otherwise.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

send a SARlink3.gif.



by law they have to provide all the information they hold about you within 40 days including the information you've already asked for.






I'm not sure if your can request a mandatory redetermination, not my bag sadly




please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..


if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed - make a SAR as soon as possible.


If this is the first you've heard about this alleged debt then you should also be able to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, with a view to appealing to the independent tribunal if the MR is not successful. This should be sent in writing, separately from any SAR. This should be sent within 30 days of receiving the notice of the debt. While you are correct that the DWP does have a certain degree of latitude not afforded to other creditors, they are not exempt from the basic requirement that the onus is on them to show that you owe the money, and not on you to show that you don't.




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

SARs from DWP are free of charge, btw.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...