BankFodder BankFodder

rachnbri

Old benefit debt - disputed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1922 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I received a letter a few days ago from DWP debt recovery saying I owed £410.

Somewhat confused I called them to ask what it was about and

apparently it's from a budgeting loan I had when on benefits over 12 years ago.

I paid this back by taking 4 cash instalments into my local jobcentre (now closed) when I first returned to work.

The person I spoke to asked if I had receipts etc. Well I did but it was 12 years ago

- I've moved house 3 times since then!!

Who keeps receipts for 12 years?

I understand that the 6 year statute of limitations doesn't apply to DWP/HMRC but is there anything I can do?

I mean they could say whatever they wanted really - there's no way anybody could prove otherwise.

send a SARlink3.gif.

by law they have to provide all the information they hold about you within 40 days including the information you've already asked for.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-information

I'm not sure if your can request a mandatory redetermination, not my bag sadly

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

Agreed - make a SAR as soon as possible.

If this is the first you've heard about this alleged debt then you should also be able to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, with a view to appealing to the independent tribunal if the MR is not successful. This should be sent in writing, separately from any SAR. This should be sent within 30 days of receiving the notice of the debt. While you are correct that the DWP does have a certain degree of latitude not afforded to other creditors, they are not exempt from the basic requirement that the onus is on them to show that you owe the money, and not on you to show that you don't.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

SARs from DWP are free of charge, btw.