cease & decist letter for libelous comments

junebug
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You don't need a solicitor. What you do need is to reason with yourself. Is this bullying and will such a letter make them feel good as they have made you bite.

Would it be better to just move on and make no acknowledgement that someone is saying things.

Also, could you follow through if they continued, it cost more than a house to bring an action for libel.

There could be an alternative of harassment and if bad enough and bringing you and your family into disrepute, could be reported to the police.

I live in a very small town and work in a busy pub. Comments were made on the local town facebook page about me, which is definitely damaging to my reputation and to that of the pub I work in. It's definitely not a case of 'bullying'. Threats were also made to cause damage to my car.

I can deal with 'bullying' but this is far beyond that.

In that case, would a cease and desist letter achieve anything.

If there are threats of a criminal nature, and you say there is, then you should take screen shots and report this to the police.

Remember, internet trolls can get up to two years in prison now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

Thats really helpful Thank you. This whole thing has been extremely upsetting for m

Me, and has made me physically ill do I do want to do something about it - if only to ensure they don't do it again. I am genuinely worried for my own safety.

I shall get onto the police. I took screenshots of the original post, and all 73 comments, as well as a further post on the op's own facebook page so I have evidence. I also have evidence that goes against the things they were saying, so hopefully I cam get this sorted.

Has FB removed these comments ? I think you would need a Solicitor's letter to have FB remove any nasty comments.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

No, I contacted the moderator to remove the post, but it was actually deleted by the op before he could remove it. Then the op went to their personal page to carry on the tirade against me. Which has since also been removed. Around 300 people saw the original post.

You know, all I'd really like is an apology from her, and a statement saying she was lying. Its very very hurtful.

No, I contacted the moderator to remove the post, but it was actually deleted by the op before he could remove it. Then the op went to their personal page to carry on the tirade against me. Which has since also been removed. Around 300 people saw the original post.

You know, all I'd really like is an apology from her, and a statement saying she was lying. Its very very hurtful.

Yes indeed - there are some people who should be banned from having access to a keyboard. I wonder how they survived prior to the internet.. perhaps these were the type who sent out poisonous pen letters !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Like I say, a lot of people saw it, many commented on it too, and even joined in with her! Not one of these people actually know me! It's crazy what people do for kicks. Not a thought has been given to how utterly damaging this is. I have people coming into my work and asking about it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2798573/crackdown-cyber-mobs-poisoning-britain-sentence-web-trolls-quadrupled-two-years-shocking-high-profile-online-abuse-cases.html

Mr Grayling said: ‘These internet trolls are cowards who are poisoning our national life.

‘No one would permit such venom in person, so there should be no place for it on social media. That is why we are determined to quadruple the current six-month sentence.

‘As the terrible case of Chloe Madeley showed last week, people are being abused online in the most crude and degrading fashion

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2798573/crackdown-cyber-mobs-poisoning-britain-sentence-web-trolls-quadrupled-two-years-shocking-high-profile-online-abuse-cases.html#ixzz3NP2aalOC

I think a truer statement has not been made as the one by Christ Grayling above. These internet trolls/cyber bullies are sad and pathetic little cowards. What pleasure they get from this type of destructive action is totally beyond my comprehension. They should all receive the full sentence permitted under the law.

BCOBS

Sadly, depending on the type of 'trolling' ( trolling is an extremely diffuclt thing to describe and punish), you could potentially erode freedom of speech.

Now, if that trolling was direct personal attacks on a persons character or threats of violence then they should be treated exactly the same as if they were caught on the street saying it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

imp, if you were to read the posts you will see that this was apparently a particularly unpleasant and untrue attack on someone personally - an attack that could potentially damage the OP's reputation.

BCOBS

I was talking generally. My apologies

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There is also the injury to your mental health that should be taken into consideration, you say you were sick, did this last long? Did you take sick leave? Are you still suffering? All these things need to be addressed.

Until these cruel bullies are made to pay for their actions we will never rid society from bullies

I am fighting it all the way :-x