Clipped another car

eggy12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Whilst reversing out of my driveway extremely slowly I just caught the drivers side bumper of a vehicle parked next door half on the grass verge , half on the road. Done the right thing and rang the door bell and told them (family visiting car).

We all went out and as it was at night shone torch lights on the area where I had clipped it, although my tail light had broke we found no damage at all to the other car. As it was cold and raining we agreed no damage could be found visually nor by feeling the bumper and left it at that but saying we will take a look in the morning in daylight just to make sure and that was that.

Next day I went round but the car had gone, knocked the door and the lady said he left early before it was light but his going to have a look when he gets home and ring them. Later that evening when I got home I found a piece of paper pushed through the letterbox saying Ring XXX on this number about the bumper ! Rang him next day in the morning, there was no hello or explanation it was straight to "I need your registration number and your surname", gave it to him then the line went quiet..

So I said so whats the problem, he then starts to say about damage to the mid bumper, a long crease with the paint crack (none of that was visible the night before) but either end of the bumper is ok. Now seeings as I clipped the drivers side end from the back, Im miffed as to what his trying on here.. Sent him a text message asking for a photo of said damage because he left in the morning not allowing me to see.. Not heard anything back as yet.

Do I ring my insurance company and let them know what happened ?

If I do ring them will it be a mark against me for the future ?

Obvious to me his trying it on, unfortunately I did not take a picture of his car as i expected them to be there in the morning as agreed the night before !

Thanks

Eggy12

Edited by citizenB

Ah here we go. Never ever admit to touching another car in any way, you will always get conned. If there is no one around, just drive off, damage or no. You touch their wind and suddenly get a bill for a new door etc. Sorry but this is no longer a world for the honest, so just drive off unless observed.

I'm not sure what the answer is to this but you could call on your neighbour and ask them about the exam at the time it happened but they will probably deny all knowledge of anything.

You should tell your insurance that 'we all examined it at the time and agreed there was no damage. There is no need to mention your rear light.

I'd suggest you do give your insurer a call & explain exactly as you have here, regarding what's happened.

Now nothing more may come off it. But you at least have covered yourself, in case they do go forward with a claim.

It will be down to your insurer to deal with this, but make it clear to them that as you clipped the side & not the middle of his bumper his claim isn't true.

Will your neighbour who came out to look at the car, back you up with regards to there was no damage to the said car?

I'm not so sure if the insurer will keep this on record, (edit see below) if no action is taken against you, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that you do have to report all incidents. No matter how minor.

I found it again, it does state you call your insurer to give them information & that you are not making a claim.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/ive-been-in-a-car-accident-do-i-have-to-claim-on-my-insurance

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Ah here we go. Never ever admit to touching another car in any way, you will always get conned. If there is no one around, just drive off, damage or no. You touch their wind and suddenly get a bill for a new door etc. Sorry but this is no longer a world for the honest, so just drive off unless observed.

I'm not sure what the answer is to this but you could call on your neighbour and ask them about the exam at the time it happened but they will probably deny all knowledge of anything.

You should tell your insurance that 'we all examined it at the time and agreed there was no damage. There is no need to mention your rear light.

Not the world's best advice.

• Confused 1

Unless unbeknownst to him, he is caught on the vast amount of cctv cameras hitting the car. Then he will have police knocking on the door for leaving the scene of an accident.

So not only the damage to pay for but a large fine and I would guess points too.

Not your finest advice connif.

I would advise that you contact insurer now. Let them deal with it. It could well be that you dis catch corner of bumper causing little or no damage, but it the flexed in the middle of the bumper causing the damage that could only be seen in the daylight.

They are prob not responding to your requests for pics etc as that is what the insurance company is for.

I am quite suprised a member of site team is giving out such poor advise. How would you feel if somebody slammed into your car causing hundreds of pounds of damage and drove off. I have had this happen to me and it was not pleasant.

Anyway back to helping the OP. From my experience the damage described could be as a result of the op reversing into the corner of the bumper.

Behind the rear bumper will be a crash protection bar made from steel or hard plastic. Under impact the plastic bumper deforms and then snaps back at the corners where it is unsupported but in the middle it becomes stretched over the crash bar causing two long straight lines along the width of the bumper. People who do not know modern car construction often argue how could a corner impact have caused damage to the centre of the bumper. When this type of damage occurs you are almost always looking at a new bumper to put it right.

I am sorry all - please forgive me, I am the only person in the whole world who would do anything wrong, I confess that I didn't hand back the penny too much I was given in change, am I barred from heaven now.

I am sorry all - please forgive me, I am the only person in the whole world who would do anything wrong, I confess that I didn't hand back the penny too much I was given in change, am I barred from heaven now.

Got to say, as your part of the site team, your bad advice and sarcastic comments leave a very bitter taste Conniff.

What you advised was pretty much commit a criminal offence to avoid paying your dues(he may have caused damage and it needs yo be paid). I am pretty sure that goes against the site idea here. Isn't this site aimed at helping those that need help. Not advising they break the law to get out of a situation that needs nothing more than a quick chat with your insurance.

Lets focus on the OP.

As mentioned, modern crash protection does work in weird ways. Best to leave insurance deal with it now. But try and get statements from neighbour if you can, but i would imagine that they will want to stay out of it.

So everyone is saying that when they do a 'no damage' bump on one of the thousand cars in a Tesco carpark, they will wait there and find the owner and swop details, yea right.

But you did not say a "no damage" bump, you basically said drive off irrespective of whether there's damage.

Failing to stop / report an accident attracts a lot of points, it adds a considerable loading to your future premiums as Insurers are not keen on the type of customer who drives off after hitting another car. Fortunately most police officers are fairly persistent in pursuing failing to stop / report especially if there's cctv and / or witnesses.

Apart from the above it's morally wrong

Hi all thanks, I can see what you mean about crumple zones and the likes, I would not be lying if I said I was doing only 1mph and foot covering the brake as I have a large tree on my near side reversing out so i cannot just drive out normally so can find it very difficult to imagine these devices from fracturing, that said who knows !

I will send email to my insurance with details just so im covered.. Would not get any possible discussion from next door about it as the family member visiting was his brother, just to add it was not a direct impact/head on , my car was at an angle when going back into theres, if I was going any faster or did not break in time I would think scratches on there bumper would have been there..

Any way thanks for the advice, know what your saying Connif.. Will report back if/when any other action is taken

Hi all thanks, I can see what you mean about crumple zones and the likes, I would not be lying if I said I was doing only 1mph and foot covering the brake as I have a large tree on my near side reversing out so i cannot just drive out normally so can find it very difficult to imagine these devices from fracturing, that said who knows !

I will send email to my insurance with details just so im covered.. Would not get any possible discussion from next door about it as the family member visiting was his brother, just to add it was not a direct impact/head on , my car was at an angle when going back into theres, if I was going any faster or did not break in time I would think scratches on there bumper would have been there..

Any way thanks for the advice, know what your saying Connif.. Will report back if/when any other action is taken

Thanks eggy. Maybe I could have worded it differently but what's done is done. :)

Just call your Insurers and give them the exact details. It sounds like they think they can gain financially from this, but you can't accuse them of this without evidence.

It is better to call your Insurers, rather than send an email. They have a script they use to obtain all the details they require. If you send an email, it will just mean more hassle with your Insurers trying to call or write to you for missing information.

If you phone them tomorrow, I expect that they will be very quiet and it will only take 5 minutes.

Nb. In regard to the general point raised by Conniff, I tend to agree that a minor knock against a parked car, should only require you to do a quick inspection. If you don't see any damage, then these days, you would question whether to report this, due to the number of people who will turn the claim into a money making exercise. If you are not sure, whether there is any damage or there is likely to be third party witnesses or CCTV, then you don't really have much choice but to provide your Insurance details and to advise your Insurers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Not the world's best advice.

I'm with conniff on this

This will now go down as a fault accident

and need too be declared for the next 5 or so years

The insurance will just pay out on this minus any excess

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Im a bit shocked at the implication the OP should have done a hit and run.

I know morally a lot of people do. I also am a victim of damage to my car. Im guessing Conniff may have been too at some point. Or got burned by someone taking the **** when they did the right thing.

HOWEVER

there are things you can do to protect yourself WHILST doing the right thing.

Keep a "crash kit" in your car. Cheap disposable camera and or use your camera phone if you have one. Take pics of all vehicles involved and the SURROUNDINGS so nothing can be exaggerated. :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

have to admit to have done a bump and run once

left long scrapes in the hub cover and there was already scrapes down the side of the car with red paint in (mine was black car) didnt fancy paying for all that other persons work

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I'm with conniff on this

This will now go down as a fault accident

and need too be declared for the next 5 or so years

The insurance will just pay out on this minus any excess

Your with Connif that the OP should have just committed a criminal offence rather than report the accident?

Yes it will go down as an at fault accident because(it appears) the OP was at fault. All you can do in this situation is minimise loses as best you can.

Shocking advice from two usually quite knowledgeable individuals. I shall choose to ignore all future post by you two as you seem to be issuing or at least condoning some very dangerous advice.

Regarding the crash kit, a disposable camera with a good flash and take pics of all four corners of the car as a minimum. You have 24 shots. May as well use them all.

A good torch.

Pen and paper.

Your insurers details(while you don't need to carry them, you can still get a producer and it does save time if you can just give it to the other party)

Your with Connif that the OP should have just committed a criminal offence rather than report the accident?

Yes it will go down as an at fault accident because(it appears) the OP was at fault. All you can do in this situation is minimise loses as best you can.

Shocking advice from two usually quite knowledgeable individuals. I shall choose to ignore all future post by you two as you seem to be issuing or at least condoning some very dangerous advice.

Regarding the crash kit, a disposable camera with a good flash and take pics of all four corners of the car as a minimum. You have 24 shots. May as well use them all.

A good torch.

Pen and paper.

Your insurers details(while you don't need to carry them, you can still get a producer and it does save time if you can just give it to the other party)

That kit should be a mandatory part of any drivers kit, along with a first aid kit and emergency equipment. I even keep a simple kit in my beat up old landy when im crossing the terrain in snowdonia or elsewhere.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I got my car hit so many times I stopped counting.

Once it happened in view of cctv: Got footage (was private cctv) and reported to police, number plate perfectly visible.

Two days later I got a letter explaining that they couldn't take any further action for lack of evidence!!!

Reported to my insurance and they reported to other car insurance.

8 months later still nothing despite hundred of calls and written communication.

Time to renew insurance: Triple the price because of "my claim".

Fortunately they let me close the claim and pretended it never happened.

Would I hit a car and drive off?

Don't know, never say never.

Would I be convicted of gbh if I caught someone hitting my car and drive off?

Definitely!

To the op: Unfortunately you're another victim of insurance fraud.

Nothing you can do now, but best advice has been already given: Take pictures at the time of the incident.

Feel sorry for you.

Well this guys family still live next door to me, if he does go forward with a claim they will know its BS and so will half the street after I'm done telling everyone.. Guilt can be a bugger !

'To the op: Unfortunately you're another victim of insurance fraud.'

We don't actually know that do we? As said above, an impact to the side of the bumper can cause it to distort in the middle. Seen it loads of times in many bodyshops.

Conniff's comment, well, it's all been said really, just hope he never drives near me!

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks