ASDA Ban and University/Employment Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, i am currently in a very worried state.

Today i was banned from asda for shoplifting. They took me to a quiet room on the side with CCTV which they said took my picture.

No Police were called, they simply made me sign a form stating that i was banned from all ASDA stores.

They took my student ID and i assume they wrote down some details from it, and told me that my university would be notified of what had happened.

The goods were returned to the shop and i offered to pay for them anyways, which the manager declined. I remained very appologetic and cooperative during the whole ordeal. The total item value was £13. For which i only paid £0.70 at the self checkout by falsely weighing it as a different item. The £0.70 was obviously not refunded to me.

I am now very worried of the following:

-That i will be expelled from my university course.

-That it will have an impact on future employment due to criminal record.

-Will i be fined (by the RLP according to other articles here?). They asked me for my address but i only gave them a basic street of the student flats where i am living now. They said that it wasn't showing up, i then gave them the postcode for the area which i am unsure the lad even attempted to write down, and it is a pretty large area that the postcode covers. So overall, i am somewhat positive that they dont have my address.

I have learnt my lesson and i will never again do anything like this in my life. I am absolutely terrified. I would appreciate any advice or counsel that anyone here could provide. Thank you.

EDIT: I have just read that ASDA uses a company called Drydens for their civil recoveries, but i am still unsure if it will apply to me?

Edited by Lozarian

Hi Lozarian

Welcome to CAG

Firstly clam down. All that is likely to happen is that Drydens will send you a load of speculative invoices. Under Data Protection rules they can't inform your university as that would be a breach of the Data Protection Principles. You won't have a criminal record as you haven't been arrested and processed through the legal system. When receive the speculative invoices just file them away. Update this thread.

Edited by rebel11
replaced name

Hi Lozarian

Welcome to CAG

Firstly clam down. All that is likely to happen is that RLP will send you a load of speculative invoices. Under Data Protection rules they can't inform your university as that would be a breach of the Data Protection Principles. You won't have a criminal record as you haven't been arrested and processed through the legal system. When receive the speculative invoices just file them away. Update this thread.

The manager repeated 3 or more times that they would be informing my university, and said that this was their company policy and how they handled every similar case. And that is would be the same if it was my employer, instead of an educational establishment like in this case.

As above. There is nothing that will happen to you except the recovery people may try and screw you with some kind of penalty notice which you can safely ignore - or if they are worrying you post them up here minus your personal details. As has been indicated the only way you can get a criminal record is if you have been arrested and charged with a criminal offence and then taken to court and found guilty of an offence. Your University will not be informed (if they do by some very remote chance come back here again for advice).

Forget about it and get on with your life.

Silverfox and the team will provide further guidance shortly. They say all sorts of stuff to 'force' you to pay.

The manager repeated 3 or more times that they would be informing my university, and said that this was their company policy and how they handled every similar case. And that is would be the same if it was my employer, instead of an educational establishment like in this case.

Silverfox and the team will provide further guidance shortly. They say all sorts of stuff to 'force' you to pay.

Some of the things they said did seem somewhat wierd, but i am just very glad that they didn't call the police. As i said, i remained very apologetic and cooperative the whole time. I offered to pay for the items which they declined, and they then returned the items back to their rightful shelf in the store. I am just terribly embarrased and ashamed of myself for trying something like this.

If they do inform my university, they would be acting unlawfully themselves right?

As above. There is nothing that will happen to you except the recovery people may try and screw you with some kind of penalty notice which you can safely ignore - or if they are worrying you post them up here minus your personal details. As has been indicated the only way you can get a criminal record is if you have been arrested and charged with a criminal offence and then taken to court and found guilty of an offence. Your University will not be informed (if they do by some very remote chance come back here again for advice).

Forget about it and get on with your life.

Could ASDA choose to involve the police from this point on? Even after simply banning me and deeming it a civil matter. Especially if i do not comply with their (or their solicitor's) requests for money.

no they cant

simply ignore what you have been told

they wont inform anyone

and you don't need to pay anyone anything

drydens..well they're a tame/fake sols/dca anyway

they are not bailiffs and have NO legal powers

in these matters

go get on with your life.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is very, very unlikely they will involve the police because of the amount involved.

Could ASDA choose to involve the police from this point on? Even after simply banning me and deeming it a civil matter. Especially if i do not comply with their (or their solicitor's) requests for money.

Bit late in the day but I do get here eventually.

OP, welcome. One thing about CAG is that we tend not to judge so stop being apologetic :oops:

You have had great advice so far.

As you didn't give your full address, any letter they may send may get put into the uni system and work its way to you that way.

I feel the manager is lying to you. To pass on personal details about you to anyone (with the exception of parents if under 18) is a breach of the Data Protection Act and the only reason they could divulge any data is for the purposes of detection and prevention of crime which the uni have no right to know unless previously agreed by you.

Remember, you have not been convicted of any crime. These are just allegations. To make it effective they would need to sue you in the civil court for their losses of which there are none at all. They got the stuff back! As far as I am aware, there have been NO court cases since July 2012 when a similar company called RLP got a serious slapping. If you want to read the judgement, let me know.

You will receive the obligatory letters getting ever more demanding with all sorts of threats that they 'may' do this or that. No they can't. They are likely to pass the fictitious amount over to a debt collector who will write and say something along the lines of 'Liability which is not disputed'. ERM! yes it is.

Whatever you do, try not to be intimidated by these bullies. That is all they are.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

So what would my course of action be from now on?

Obviously just shop somewhere else and never do anything like that again.

What about if/when i start receiving the letters from drydens, and when they pass the debt on to debt collectors. What should i do then?

Keep the letters. If possible, I would like to see them (suitably scrubbed of your personal info of course) Do not bother writing to them. The only time to respond is if you get court papers but that is unlikely to happen.

As for the debt collector. They have as much power over you as I do. Nada, Nothing, Nowt. Get the picture! :-)

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

as stated by several posts,

you dont have a criminal record,

none of this has been passed on and

Asda cannot pass any information on to your university without risking prosecution themselves

and possible civil action if they do.

Also, your uni wont be interested in such an event nor will an employer.

A criminal conviction can have ramifications if you are studying medicine or seek employment as

a lawyer, accountant or similar but that isnt going to happen

as they have dealt with the matter and

to take it further would be impossible for the CPS

and pointless for the store as they will waste valuable resources doing so.

They hope you have learnt your lesson, show them to be right and get on with your life.

Bit late in the day but I do get here eventually.

OP, welcome. One thing about CAG is that we tend not to judge so stop being apologetic :oops:

You have had great advice so far.

As you didn't give your full address, any letter they may send may get put into the uni system and work its way to you that way.

I feel the manager is lying to you. To pass on personal details about you to anyone (with the exception of parents if under 18) is a breach of the Data Protection Act and the only reason they could divulge any data is for the purposes of detection and prevention of crime which the uni have no right to know unless previously agreed by you.

Remember, you have not been convicted of any crime. These are just allegations. To make it effective they would need to sue you in the civil court for their losses of which there are none at all. They got the stuff back! As far as I am aware, there have been NO court cases since July 2012 when a similar company called RLP got a serious slapping. If you want to read the judgement, let me know.

You will receive the obligatory letters getting ever more demanding with all sorts of threats that they 'may' do this or that. No they can't. They are likely to pass the fictitious amount over to a debt collector who will write and say something along the lines of 'Liability which is not disputed'. ERM! yes it is.

Whatever you do, try not to be intimidated by these bullies. That is all they are.

So since there are no damages, i am not liable (or have to pay them)?

So since there are no damages, i am not liable (or have to pay them)?

Now you are getting the picture. :-)

Have a read of some other threads including ones where letters have been received and watch How I and EricsBrother (plus others) rip them apart.

In the meantime I will go away and find one particular thread which explains a lot

no bugger all even if there WAS damages

TOTALLY IGNORE DRYDENS

the DCA's

ANY phonecalls.

end of the matter.

forget it now

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I would like to thank everyone so much for their support and advice. I am much more calm now. So it is VERY, VERRRY unlikely that it would go to court based on not paying the agencies.

I would like to read that judgement from July 2012 Silverfox :)

I will update this thread if i receive any letters, just so you guys can have a look at them.

As everyone mentioned, there is nothing they can do.

*IF* the university get told, PLEASE come back here. We will gladly help you challenge them on Data Protection Act.

If you want to offset the Karma, you could always buy some food and donate to a food bank XD But that of course is down to you :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You're in good hands with silverfox. Follow his advice and you'll be fine :)

• Haha 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You're in good hands with silverfox. Follow his advice and you'll be fine :)

Damn! The system won't let me give you rep so thanks for the kind words. :oops:

[ATTACH]55131[/ATTACH]

Be aware, the judgement runs to 150 pages so here is the summary.

RLP and the retailer lost :whoo:

Thank you very much everyone. You have put my mind at ease. I've read the judgement and it seems very reasonable by the judge since one of the key principles from the law of torts can't be proven by the claimant (the damages).

So the scenario would be essentially identical in my case, since the security guards were actively engaging in their duties and the cost of the security equipment would be the same with or without any illicit activities taking place. They also can't claim that the security guards could have been patroling the shop floor instead of booking me, since by that logic it could be said that the security guards could have been looking at the cameras instead of patroling the shop floor or vice-versa (they can't do all of their roles at once).

The manager would have also been doing his job by overseeing the smooth running of the business, and any staff mamber (if any) that may have notified the security team were also doing their job by notifying the security guards if they saw any suspicious activity. There are also multiple checkouts and multiple staff monitoring the self-checkouts, so the business kept running smoothly and there was no loss of revenue.

In my case, the relevant goods were also returned to them undamaged.

The administration costs are the only thing that i didn't understand very well.

Anyways, thank you very much again guys. I will keep you posted if/when i receive any letters.

Cheers.

PS: I know it would only matter for legal jobs/ medical/ politics jobs, but say in the 1 in a million chance that this went to court and they won, would the CCJ affect someones ability to persue these careers? Just out of interest and for the sake of arguement, as someone else posted before about the type of careers that any records can really matter for.

Edited by Lozarian